QuickBooks Payroll, an online payroll service provider for small businesses, is an interesting feature of QuickBooks. It helps millions of users to do their payrolls and file taxes easily. However, you need to activate a payroll subscription to enable the payroll feature on the QB desktop. And after that, it can directly create paychecks and update payrolls along with other things. But, many a time, users report issues in QuickBooks Payroll. It basically says that the QuickBooks Payroll is not working or deducting any withholding from peoples’ checks. This issue can also create problems and can hinder productivity. Thus, you need to resolve it on time. For this purpose, you can use this blog and troubleshoot the QuickBooks payroll update not working error.
What does the QuickBooks Payroll Not Working error mean?
QuickBooks Payroll not working error is a payroll update error that occurs if there is any network connectivity issue. The error message for the QuickBooks payroll update not working clearly states that there is a network issue and QuickBooks Payroll is unable to connect to the internet. So you should first fix the network errors to resolve this issue.
The error message says, Payroll Service Server Error. Please try again later. If this problem persists, please contact Intuit .
Why is QuickBooks payroll not working?
Since the error message says Payroll Connection Error, the main reason behind this QuickBooks online payroll not working error is the connectivity issue. The other reasons for QuickBooks payroll not working are as follows:
- Your QuickBooks application’s security certificate is invalid.
- You are sending the payroll data in multi-user mode.
- The network issue can also restrict the QB’s connection with the server. This can also cause you to face the QuickBooks Payroll not working error message.
- Having an unstable internet connection can also be a reason.
- Sometimes, Internet Explorer and firewall settings also cause the QB Payroll to reflect the error.
- If the date and time on the system are not correct, then also QuickBooks online payroll not working error can pop up on the screen.
A checklist you must follow before troubleshooting the QuickBooks Payroll Not Working issue
Troubleshooting this kind of error involves some advanced steps. Thus you need to follow some important steps like updating the software, setting the correct date and time, etc., before proceeding with troubleshooting. The checklist for such steps is as follows:
- Ensure that the correct time and date are set on your system; if not, then change them in the settings. After that, restart your system and check the time and date.
- Make sure the latest version of the payroll tax table is downloaded to your system. If not, then Update the latest payroll tax table from the Employees tab, followed by clicking Get Payroll Updates.
- Use the QB in Single User mode. To switch the mode to Single User, from the File menu then by clicking the switch to the Single User Mode button.
- Verify that you have a valid payroll subscription. As a valid payroll is required to send the payroll.
- Ensure using the latest version of the QuickBooks application.
- To check the network connectivity, try to access a secure website like www.Google.com from your web browser. If you are not able to access it, then try resetting your router to the default settings.
- Check your computer’s inbuilt firewall and other third-party firewall applications to see if they are blocking QuickBooks from accessing the internet. If yes, Exclude the QuickBooks application from Firewall in the setting.
Troubleshooting Solutions to resolve QuickBooks Payroll Not Working Error.
You can follow the given troubleshooting steps to fix the QuickBooks Payroll Not Working Error. But remember to send payroll after each solution and see if it works. If not, then you can move to the next solution immediately. So go through the troubleshooting steps given below:
Solution 1: Clear the Browser’s Browsing History and Cache.
As we keep working on the web, the browser stores the cache and browsing history. And once it piles up, errors are prone to appear for different applications, including QuickBooks. Therefore, you should follow the recommended steps to fix this kind of error due to a cached browser.
Follow these steps to clear the cache in Chrome:
- Click twice on Google Chrome to open and then select the More option.
- Then go to the More tools option, followed by the Clear browsing data option.
- After that, you need to select a time range or click on the All-time option to remove data from all the time.
- Then select the checkboxes present with the Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files option.
- Then press the Clear data button.
Follow these steps to clear the cache and browsing data in Microsoft Edge Browser:
- First, open the Microsoft Edge browser and then click on Settings, and then More.
- Then you need to select the Privacy, Search, and services options.
- After that, you need to choose the Clear browsing data now option, which is available under Clear browsing data.
- Then, select the option to Choose what to clear.
- After that, choose the time range option and select the time range from the drop-down menu.
- It would be much better if you choose what browsing data you want to remove.
- Then, after the selection, click on the Clear now button.
Follow these steps to clear the cache and browsing data in Internet Explorer Browser:
- Open the Internet Explorer web browser.
- Then, click on the Browsing History option under the General tab.
- After that, make sure to check Temporary Internet Files and Internet Files also.
- Then you need to hit the Delete button and then OK.
- Then try to send payroll and check. If the payroll issue persists, jump to the next solution.
Solution 2: Flushing the DNS using Command Prompt to fix the QuickBooks Payroll Not Working error.
- First, press the Windows key + R key at the same time to open the Run window.
- Then, in the text box of the Run window, you need to type CMD and hit Enter or click OK.
- After that, type ipconfig /flushdns.
- Now, you need to press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Then try to send payroll once again.
Solution 3: Identify the stuck paychecks causing the QuickBooks Payroll Not Working error.
- Go to the Edit section, then select Find.
- After that, select the Advanced tab and go to it.
- Now, in the Choose Filter section, you need to select Detail Level from the Filter list.
- Afterward, select the Summary Only option.
- Then go back to the Filter list, scroll down to select Online Status, and select the Online to Send option.
- Lastly, select Find, and you’ll see paychecks that were not sent to Intuit.
Solution 4: Exclude Revocation from Internet Explorer to fix QuickBooks Payroll Not Working error.
- First, go to Internet Explorer and then click on Tools.
- Then, select the Internet options and choose Advanced Tab.
- Then, go under the Security tab, uncheck the Check for publishers revocation option along with the Check for server certificate revocation, and click OK.
- Then restart your computer and try to send the payroll data.
Solution 5: Restore the Advanced settings of Internet Explorer to fix QuickBooks Payroll Not Working error.
- Exit the QB application and then open Internet Explorer.
- Then, click on the Tool option in Internet Explorer and select the Internet option.
- Next, click on the Restore Advanced Settings option under the Advanced tab.
- Then, under the settings tab, make sure that the Use TLS 1.0 is checked and Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2 are unchecked.
- Then, click OK and exit IE.
- Lastly, restart your computer and send payroll data.
QuickBooks Payroll Not Working error can also be fixed with the help of Verify and Rebuild Tool from QuickBooks Tools Hub. So to use this, you need first to download and install the QuickBooks Tools Hub application. After that, use the Verify Data tool to check for any data damage and then rectify that damage with the help of the Rebuild Data Tool. All these solutions will help you rectify the QuickBooks online payroll not working issue. However, if these are too technical for you and you need any kind of assistance, then contact our support team by calling +1-(855)-955-1942.
Frequently Asked Questions
You face the QuickBooks Payroll Not working issue because maybe your payroll subscription has expired, or there might be some other technical reasons. These reasons are discussed in the blog above.
Yes, sometimes, the QuickBooks Payroll Not Working issue occurs due to the pending payroll, and in that case, canceling them can fix the issue. To get it done, go to the payroll center from the Employee section. And open the Pay employee tab. After this, find the payroll on the recent page of the payroll section and select the Paycheck you require. Lastly, hit the Delete button, followed by OK.
To use the Verify and Rebuild Data Tool, first go to the File menu, then Utilities. After that, click on Verify Data and hit OK. Then once it checks the data files and any damage is recorded, you need to click on the Rebuild Data option from Utilities. When the Rebuild gets completed, click OK in the last.