QuickBooks payroll feature is the ultimate solution for your payroll and tax management tasks. It can help you streamline and ease your accounting functions, like releasing payroll to employees by cheque, direct deposit, or even e-pay. However, sometimes, while using the feature, you may get stuck randomly over different errors like QuickBooks Error PS077. This error appears on your screen while installing the latest payroll updates and obstructs the update process. This payroll update error may sometimes also appear in the form of QuickBooks Error PS032.
The blog given here will provide you with a handy guide about the error code PS077 in QuickBooks Desktop, so read the blog till the end. And follow the recommended solutions to troubleshoot it.
What is the meaning of QuickBooks Error PS077?
The prefix PS in the QuickBooks Error Code PS077 clearly indicates that it is a payroll category error in QuickBooks. It appears on the user’s screen when they try to download the latest payroll updates. The QuickBooks Error MEssage PS077 is generally displayed as any of the two given messages given here,
QuickBooks: Problem having trouble installing payroll tax table updates.
QuickBooks Error PS077: When Downloading Payroll Updates.
A user has not registered QuickBooks software or the Company File is damaged or corrupted.
As a result of its appearance, they face difficulty in downloading any payroll updates. Though sometimes, after the appearance of the error, the users can still update the tax table, they get stuck in performing further tasks.
How to be sure about the occurrence of QuickBooks Error PS077?
One of the main symptoms that users feel when they get stuck with QuickBooks Error PS077 is not being able to download the payroll update. However, other indications can also help you to be sure of the QuickBooks Error PS077.
- Facing the error message every time you try to download the payroll update.
- Sometimes, you may get stuck in the middle of updating the tax table because of the QuickBooks Error PS077.
- Your system freezes when you try to update the payroll table.
- The system responds very slowly to the commands of the keyboard and mouse.
You may also encounter QuickBooks Error 12057– Unable to Update Payroll.
What are the reasons behind the QuickBooks Error PS077?
Multiple reasons can instigate the QuickBooks Error PS077. Some of them are technical, while others are the result of the user’s mistakes. Let us look at some of the possible reasons:
- When QuickBooks failed to read the registered information.
- The tax table component or the Payroll folder has got damaged or corrupted.
- The QuickBooks Company file on your system has got damaged.
- You have entered the wrong or invalid billing information.
- Your QuickBooks Desktop application is not registered.
- An error occurred during the installation of QuickBooks.
- An inactive or expired Payroll subscription can cause you to face QuickBooks Error PS077.
Things to Do Before Troubleshooting QuickBooks Error PS077
Here are some key points that you need to consider before performing any troubleshooting step so that the process gets completed without interruptions.
- You must validate your QuickBooks Payroll Subscription before moving ahead with solutions.
- You should verify the billing information that you are entering is correct.
- You should make sure that only one QuickBooks application is installed on your system.
- You should always take a backup of your QuickBooks company file to ensure no data loss during the troubleshooting process.
- You should repair the QuickBooks Desktop application to avoid any complications during troubleshooting.
- You need to update your QuickBooks application to the latest available version.
Advanced Troubleshooting Methods for QuickBooks Error PS077
Choosing the troubleshooting method depends upon the reason that triggered the error. So you should try to identify the cause first and then choose the method that is relevant. You do not need to implement all the methods mentioned here.
Method 1: Repair your QuickBooks Desktop Application and then download the latest Payroll Tax table.
This solution is only applicable if you are facing the issue while having only one version of QB installed on your system. However, you will need the QuickBooks Desktop installation CD before you perform the repair process. So keep it handy before moving ahead.
- First, restart your computer and close any other application interacting with QuickBooks.
- Now, tap on the Start menu and then click on the Control panel.
- Open the Control panel and select the Programs and Features tab here.
- Now, choose the Uninstall or Change the Program option to remove or make changes with QuickBooks.
- Choose the option and then click on Continue and then Next.
- Now, tap on the Repair option and tap Next. You will have to wait till the repair process gets completed.
- After that, you need to Restart your computer.
Steps to download the latest payroll Tax Table
An outdated payroll tax table can also lead to the QuickBooks Error PS077, so download the latest payroll tax table to rectify the error.
- Go to the Employees menu at the top.
- Select the Get Payroll Updates option.
- Get the Payroll Updates
- Now, mark the Download Entire Update checkbox to continue.
- Next, tap on Download latest Update.
- It will pop up a new window once the download gets completed.
Method 2: Install the Latest QB Updates and Re-Register it
This solution is only applicable if you are facing the issue while having only one version of QB installed on your system. You would need to reset the already existing QB updates.
- Run the QuickBooks Desktop application and press the F2 key to open the Product Information window.
- Look for the section where the QB License Number is mentioned and make sure it is Activated.
- In case the product is not activated, you need to register it using the license key.
- Now, scroll to the Help tab and select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Click the Update Now option and hit the Get Updates button.
- Let it download the latest updates.
- Once it downloads the update completely, Restart your QuickBooks application.
- Now, you need to click Yes, when the Install Updates window pops up.
- Now, try to run payroll and check if the errors PS077 are resolved.
Still Confused? Talk to Our Professionals.
Give us a call at +1-(855)-955-1942
Method 3: Verify the QuickBooks License to rectify QuickBooks Error PS077
- First, log in to your Intuit account, then verify your QuickBooks License.
- Now, you need to go to the Payroll Service Account Information and check the details, like billing information dates. (Make sure you have the latest version of QuickBooks installed on your device.)
- Here, go to the Files option and click on the Utilities tab.
- Now, Create your QuickBooks data.
- If you are using the Windows 7 and 8 on your system, you would need to disable the UAC. (Steps are given below in method 4)
- Now, try to download the QB Payroll updates and check if the error persists.
Two conditions will arrive here:
Condition 1: If there is only one version of QB Desktop installed on your system.
- Back up all your QB company files.
- Shut down any application running in the background.
- Next, click on the Run Window.
For Windows Vista, follow the given steps:
- Click on the Start button.
- Type Run in the command prompt.
- Then press Enter.
For Windows 7 and XP, follow the given steps:
- If you are not logged in as Admin, click on the Start button.
- Now, tap on All Programs.
- Click on the Accessories option and then hit Run.
For Windows 8, follow the given steps:
- Browser to the Windows System Section.
- Then click Start and right-click on the Background to All apps option.
- Next, hit the Run button.
Condition 2: If multiple versions of QB DEsktop are installed on your system.
- Firstly, remove all the additional installation from your device.
- Now, reset all the QB updates.
- Next, download the latest Payroll Tax Table.
- Then Sort the list.
- Now, click on the Verify Data/ Rebuild Data option if it seems necessary to rebuild the data.
- At last, go to the Selective Startup option and do a Clean Uninstall/ Reinstall of the application.
Method 4: Run the QuickBooks File Doctor to fix the Corrupted Company File
If you find that your company file is causing you the error, then you can repair its damage by running the QuickBooks file doctor.
- Go to the QB Tool Hub and click on the Company File Issues. (If you do not know how to download the QuickBooks Tool Hub application on your system, then follow our article dedicated to it.)
- Now, click on the Run QuickBooks File Doctor from the drop-down menu. It can take about a minute to open.
- In case you are not able to open QuickBooks File Doctor, search for QuickBooks Desktop File Doc and open it manually.
- Now, choose the company file from the drop-down menu in QuickBooks File Doctor. If you do not see your file, then browse and locate it.
- Once you find it, choose the Check your file option and press Continue.
- Now, you need to enter the QuickBooks admin password and select the Next option.
The time it takes to scan your file depends upon the size of your company file. It may take up to a maximum of 5 minutes to complete the scan. Once the scan is complete, open QB and the company file to see if the problem got resolved.
Method 5: Turn off the User Account Control UAC on Windows to resolve QuickBooks Error PS077
- Press Windows + Letter R together on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- In the search bar of the Run window, type Control Panel and click OK.
- Now in the search bar of the Control Panel, search for User Accounts.
- Click on the Change User Account Control Settings option.
- Hit Yes and move the slider down to Never Notify to turn off UAC.
- Enter your admin user details if asked.
- Restart your system first and try updating QuickBooks Payroll.
Method 6: Rename Your QBWUSER.ini and EntitlementDataStore.ecml Files
- Locate the QBWUSER.ini file on the system and open it.
- Then, click right on the files you have found on the system.
- Now, rename the file by adding .old at the end of the existing name.
- Similarly, do the same steps and rename the EntitlementDataStore.ecml.
- Now, open your QB application again and access your company file.
- Then, make a duplicate copy of this file and save it in a local folder on the system.
- After this, go to the same folder and open your file and check if the file opens without any error.
The Final Note
The QuickBooks Error PS077 can occur due to various reasons including the billing information. You should also ensure that the billing information that you have entered is correct before trying any troubleshooting steps. Apart from the above-mentioned step, you can also try to change the CPS folder name. For this go to the local disk C. Then open the components and go to the payroll folder. Now from here, click right to the CPS folder and rename it. Use the suffix old to rename. If you still have some issues, try to contact our QuickBooks Support Experts for additional help or Call our Toll-free number +1-(855)-955-1942.
Frequently Asked Questions
To update the payroll in QuickBooks, go to the Employees tab and click the Get Payroll Updates option. Then tap on the Download Entire Update and choose the Download Latest Update option. Then, you will see a new window when the update gets finished.
Yes, QuickBooks Payroll errors PS077 and PS032 are both payroll update errors and can appear under any error code.
You can fix the error PS077 in Quickbooks by
1. Repairing your QuickBooks Desktop Application
2. Installing the Latest QB Updates and Re-Registering on it
3. Verifying the QuickBooks License
4. Running the QuickBooks File Doctor
The detailed steps for the same are given in the blog above.
You can prevent error codes PS077 and PS032 in QuickBooks by:
1. Checking your QB payroll subscription before it expires.
2. Verifying QB company file for errors and damages.
3. Updating the payroll tax table regularly.
4. And scanning your system regularly.
The different installation error codes in QuickBooks Payroll are Error PS077, Error PS032, QuickBooks code PS036, Error PS038, and all other errors of the PSXXX error code series.