QuickBooks is an accounting software mostly preferred by small and mid-sized businesses. However, facing errors while using the QuickBooks accounting software is a normal thing. One such error is QuickBooks Error 15240 which can often trouble you if you don’t know its causes and fix it timely. It is an error that users face while doing the regular updates of the QuickBooks desktop or updating payroll. In this blog, we have covered everything about QuickBooks Error 15240; it’s causes, symptoms, and troubleshooting methods.
Follow the complete article for detailed information.
What does QuickBooks Error 15240 mean?
QuickBooks Error 15240 appears while updating the QuickBooks Desktop or payroll tax table. It interrupts the update process and causes issues while opening some specific files. QuickBooks Error 15240 is displayed on your screen as an error message saying
“Error 15240: The Payroll Update did not complete successfully.” or
“Error 15240 in QuickBooks: An unexpected problem has occurred during the connection to the internet.” or
“QuickBooks Error 15240- File Already Exists: The document you provided could not be loaded. Check to see whether another application is using it.”
If you see any of these error messages, go through the next part of the blog to know more about them.
How to identify the QuickBooks Error 15240?
One of the main symptoms which help you identify the QuickBooks error 15240 is facing issues while updating the QuickBooks desktop application. However, there are other symptoms also that state the presence of QuickBooks desktop error 15240.
- Facing issues while updating the payroll in QuickBooks.
- Not being able to adjust the paycheck in QuickBooks after facing the error message once.
- Sluggish and Slow system performance.
- Facing difficulties in doing the paycheck duties.
- Not being able to install the latest maintenance version of the QuickBooks desktop.
What are the Reasons behind the QuickBooks Error 15240?
The most common reason behind the QuickBooks Error 15240 is the privacy configuration in the Web Browser or a malfunction in any Firewall. However, sometimes reasons like inaccurate data or some specific modifications in the system can also become the reason for its appearance.
- Your QuickBooks software is not set up properly.
- The QuickBooks software on your system is not operating as the system administrator.
- Your QuickBooks Payroll Subscription has run out of days.
- The security setting in Internet Explorer on your system is not correct.
- There is some issue with the date and time on your system.
- You have not granted some permission on your Windows document.
- Any of the Windows File on your system has got corrupted.
- QuickBooks Company File has got corrupted.
- Some misconfigurations with the Firewall settings.
Different Troubleshooting Methods to resolve QuickBooks Error 15240
Before proceeding ahead with the steps you need to take a backup of your company file to save yourself from data loss in case of any mishappening. For creating the backup, open the QuickBooks then first go to file then Back Up Company. Now, follow onscreen instructions to Create Local Backup. After creating the backup proceed to the troubleshooting methods.
Troubleshooting Method 1: Running the QuickBooks application as an Administrator to resolve QuickBooks Error 15240
Sometimes the error can be rectified by simply providing the QuickBooks application with the admin rights.
- Close your QuickBooks application and click right on its icon.
- Choose the Run as Administrator option.
- Now go to the Properties tab and check the Compatibility for all the users.
- Hit Yes if any popup prompts and close.
Troubleshooting Method 2: Configuring the Internet Explorer settings correctly
You would also need to authenticate the Internet Explorer settings to rectify the QuickBooks Payroll Error 15240.
- Go to Internet Explorer and open the Settings page.
- Choose the Internet Connections option.
- Now click the Advanced option from the menu.
- Next, navigate to the bottom of the page and select SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0.
- Now, check the square boxes present in front of both words.
- At last, click on Apply and then click OK to confirm all the changes.
Read Also- Unable to Update Payroll- QuickBooks Error 557
Troubleshooting Method 3: Granting Windows Permissions to QuickBooks Folder
- Close the QB desktop application and open Windows File Manager.
- Navigate to the Program Files in the C folder and then right-click and choose the Intuit file.
- Now go to the File menu and then to the Settings option and then finally tap on the Advanced option.
- Make sure that the owner of the folder is The User Group. If it is not the case then follow the given steps.
Steps to take ownership of the Intuit Folder
- Browse through the Advanced Security Settings window page.
- Then select the Change option written next to the Owner Section.
- Now enter User in the object name and then select the Names.
- Hit Ok and then choose the Replace owner on sub-containers and objects option for the checkbox.
- Click on Apply and then OK.
- Now on the Permissions tab, choose Users and then select the Full Control option.
- At last, hit the Apply button once more.
After executing all these steps, try to update your software, and if the QuickBooks Error 15240 still appears, you can repeat the same steps for the following folders also:
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit
- (64-bit users) C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit
- C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\Intuit
Troubleshooting Method 4: Correcting the system’s Date and Time to resolve the QuickBooks Error 15240
- Click on the date and time displayed on the right corner of your screen and tap on the Change date and time settings.
- Set the date and time correctly.
- Then hit Apply and OK.
Troubleshooting Method 5: Configure the Windows Firewall settings to allow QuickBooks Executable Files to go through them
If you are using any third-party firewall on your computer make sure it allows QuickBooks files to have full access to go through it uninterrupted.
- Open the Settings tab of the Firewall Program you are using on your system.
- A list of the programs restricted by firewall security will be displayed on the screen. Make sure the given below files are not excluded from the list.
- Also, ensure that Port 80 and Port 443 are not blocked by the firewall.
Troubleshooting Method 6: Reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop using the Clean Install Tool
QuickBooks Clean Install Tool can help you clear all the junk that may have been collected over time and thus helps to prevent your company file from getting corrupted or damaged.
- Press the Windows +R keys and open a Run Window
- Now, type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
- Choose QuickBooks under the Programs and Features option and Uninstall it.
- Tap Yes then Next and finally click on Remove.
- It will take a few minutes to remove the QuickBooks Desktop application from your system.
- Now, you need to run the Clean Install Tool. For that:
- Download and Install the QuickBooks Tools Hub on your system.
- Double-click on the icon and click Yes.
- Once it opens, go to the Installation issue tab and click Clean Install Tool.
- Now, choose your version of QB software and click Continue.
Sometimes the other apps running in the background on your system can also cause you to face QuickBooks Error 15240. So find the incompatible software in the task manager and end their task. For this launch Task Manager and press the Ctrl+Alt+Del key together to see the list of the active programs on your system. Now press the End Task option from the Services tab to stop each application one at a time. This process will help you resolve QuickBooks Error 15240 if some other applications are causing it to appear. Otherwise, if you need any help, you can contact our QuickBooks Support Experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
The error 15240 in QuickBooks means that the payroll update could not complete successfully. And the file you have specified cannot be opened.
Windows Vista, 8, Windows XP, Windows 10, Windows ME, and Windows 7 are among the Windows operating systems that frequently face QB error code 15240.
You can use the system file checker to help resolve most of the common windows error. So follow the given steps to scan:
1. Press the Windows and R keys simultaneously to launch the Run command.
2. Then to open the command prompt window, put cmd into the run window.
3. Also, use the administrator mode of the CMD window.
4. Now, when the Command Prompt window appears, enter SFC/Scannow.
5. After hitting Enter, the system file checker will search and analyse your system files.
6. Hopefully, after applying this fix, the issue will be resolved.