QuickBooks Payroll is used by many QB users to automatically disburse their paychecks, fill taxes, and reduce the paperwork. However, many times while they download the latest tax table from the payroll services or do some other operations on the application, the users report certain issues. One such issue is QuickBooks error PS036. It is a common payroll subscription error that occurs majorly due to inactive payroll subscriptions or corrupted data. So, to troubleshoot the ps036 error in quickbooks desktop, the basic step is to verify the QuickBooks Desktop Payroll subscription. However, for the advanced troubleshooting guide, follow the complete article.
Need expert’s advice to resolve QuickBooks Error PS036 ? Talk to our professionals at +1-(855)-955-1942 and get your issue resolved in minimum time.
QuickBooks Error PS036: A Brief Description
Quickbooks Payroll error ps036 occurs when the Intuit update server can not identify, and verify your subscription to the QuickBooks payroll services. And thus, the application sends a message saying, “PS036 – trouble verifying payroll subscription and can’t install new payroll updated” whenever you click the Update button in the Get Payroll Updates window. Having more than one payroll subscription active at the same time can lead to such an error. However, the detailed reasons and methods to fix the error are discussed below.
QuickBooks Error PS036: Causes that trigger it
The most basic reason for the QuickBooks Error PS036 to appear on the screen is an Inactive Payroll Subscription. However, sometimes even after fixing this, if the error still persists, then there can be various other reasons that might be triggering it. The list of reasons that can be behind the error ps036 in quickbooks desktop are given below:
- You are having an inactive payroll subscription.
- Having more than one payroll subscription or payroll agreement active with an inactive Direct Deposit agreeement can also lead to this ps036 error.
- If your Paysub.ini file in QuickBooks is damaged or corrupted, then you may face this issue.
- Having a damaged or corrupted company file can also be a reason behind the QuickBooks error PS036.
- If you do not have updated either the QuickBooks application or supporting windows components, then you may encounter this QuickBooks error PS036.
- Using a wrong Service key is also a reason.
- Incorrect company file’s PSID can also trigger error code PS036.
- Your windows might not be supporting the version of your QuickBooks Desktop application.
- You might be using an invalid EIN Number in the payroll subscription status.
QuickBooks Error PS036: Methods to fix this error code
The primary step to troubleshoot this QuickBooks error PS036 is to check for the status of your QuickBooks Payroll subscription. Also, re-check once if all the details that you have entered in the invoice are up-to-date and true to your knowledge. Because it may also cause the issue. After that, if the error persists, follow the below given steps to fix the error.
Method 1: Check and Verify the QuickBooks Payroll Subscription Status
To check if you have an inactive or expired subscription, follow the given steps:
- First, make sure that you have downloaded and installed the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop application and the tax table release.
- Then, open the QuickBooks application and Log in to your payroll service account.
- Then, move to the Employee tab followed by My payroll services option and then Account or billing information.
- Now, once you do that, you have to put in your Login credentials and then Sign in.
- Next, you have to reboot your system and retry to download the updates.
- Then, open the QB application and check if the error PS036 in QuickBooks has resolved or not. If not then, follow the troubleshooting process further.
Read Also- Various Methods to Resolve QuickBooks Error PS077
Method 2: Rename the Damaged Paysub.Ini File and fix the error PS036
Paysub.ini file has all your information about the payroll subscription. If it gets corrupted, you may get the QuickBooks error PS036. So, you can rename the file, and this will force the QB to create a new file that would be corruption free.
Basically, Paysub.ini is a hidden file. So, to view it, you have to make changes to the settings of your windows folder.
- So, open the My Computer tab first and click on Organize option.
- Then, click on the Folder and Search option and tap the View button.
- Here, click on the Hidden Files and Folders option and put a mark on the Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives option.
- Now, hit Apply and OK and go back to the My Computer tab.
- Next, in the search bar at the top, type in and search for Paysub.ini.
- And when you find the Paysub.ini file, click right on it and choose the Rename option.
- Now, all you have to do it to rename the file extension from .ini to .old.
- Lastly, repeat the same process for all the Paysub files that you find there.
Still Confused? Talk to Our Professionals.
Give us a call at +1-(855)-955-1942
Method 3: Clean Install QuickBooks Desktop in Selective Startup Mode and fix the QuickBooks error PS036
This method will help you rectify any issue related to the installation file of QuickBooks and thus ultimately resolve the error PS036 in QuickBooks.
The method follows 4 steps:
Step 1: Switching the Windows to Selective Startup Mode
- To start the process of installing the QuickBooks application in the selective startup mode, first create a backup of your company file to an external storage device.
- Also, keep your license registration information noted down as you will require it while re-registering the product.
- Now, you have to press the Windows+R buttons and get the Run dialogue box on the screen.
- Then, type the word MSConfig in the Run window text box and hit Enter.
- Then, you have to select the Load System Services followed by Selective Startup option from the General tab.
- Here, you have to now navigate to the Services tab and select the Hide all Microsoft Services option.
- Then, you have to click on Disable all option and uncheck the Hide all Microsoft Services checkbox.
- Now, you need to make sure that the Windows Installer option is selected, and after that, click OK.
- Then, finally, restart the Windows, and it will automatically switch it to the Selective Startup Mode.
Step 2: Now Uninstall the QuickBooks Desktop
- First, press the Windows+R and then type the command appwiz.cpl in the search box.
- Then, press OK, and windows will then open the list of all the installed programs on your system.
- Now, find and choose the QuickBooks Desktop option from the list and hit Uninstall/Change option.
- Next, choose the Remove option and hit Next. [ Make sure that you are logged in as admin before proceeding to uninstall.]
- Then, restart Windows once the QB gets completely removed.
Step 3: Next, Reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop Application
- Download the QB setup file from the QuickBooks Product Download page, or you can also insert the installation disk into the CD Drive.
- Then, run the QuickBooks.exe file and begin the installation process.
- Now, follow the prompts given on the screen to finish the installation process. Also, enter the registration information when asked.
- Lastly, reopen the QB Desktop and reverify the subscription status.
Step 4: Lastly, Switch Windows to Normal Startup Mode
- First, hit the Windows+R keys and type MSConfig in the text box.
- Then, press the Enter key and choose the option saying Normal Startup Mode from the General tab.
- Now, click on OK and Restart the Windows.
- Lastly, rerun the payroll update and check if you are still experiencing QuickBooks error PS036.
Read Also- Troubleshooting Methods for QuickBooks error ps038
Method 4: Delete the EntitlementClient file to fix the error PS036
The EntitlementClient file can also cause you to face payroll errors, so delete the file by following the given steps:
- First, navigate to the Start menu and type Run in the box to launch the Run window.
- Then, go to the path C:\ProgramDate\Intuit\EntitlementClient\V8 and hit Enter. If this does not open the folder, then enter C:\ProgramDate\Intuit\EntitlementClient\V6.
- Then, for the next step, find the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file, hit right-click on it, and choose Delete.
- Then, tap the Yes button to confirm the action.
- Lastly, launch the QuickBooks application and follow the on-screen instructions to register it again.
Method 5: Correct the (EIN) Employer Identification Number in Company File
EIN is used to activate the payroll in QuickBooks, so you need to ensure that these numbers are correct in the QB company file, or else this issue may occur.
- Open the QuickBooks company menu and hit on the My Company option.
- Then, choose the Edit button under the Company Information tab.
- After that, click on the company information option and type in the correct EIN under the Federal Employer Identification No.
- Lastly, click OK and save the changes you made.
Frequently Asked Questions
You face the QuickBooks error PS036 if the payroll tax table is not updating. Then, in that case, you have to check for the following things to fix the error.
1. Check your login credentials for your QuickBooks account.
2. Update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release.
3. Install Windows update as well.
4. Also, verify the Employee Identification Number (EIN).
You will not be able to process payroll in the QuickBooks application like before, once you experience QuickBooks error PS036. You have to first resolve the error and then use the payroll feature.
To fix the error ps036, try the following steps:
1. Check that you have a stable and secure internet connection.
2. Verify the payroll subscription status.
3. Update your QuickBooks software and company file.
Well, we hope that you might be able to resolve the QuickBooks error PS036 after following the above-mentioned steps. However, remember to always use the correct EIN or PSID pins in QuickBooks. As this may also cause the payroll errors to appear. If you can not find about these numbers then you may contact our QB experts for help. Call us at our Toll-free number +1-(855)-955-1942 to connect.