QuickBooks Payroll is one of the most profound features of QuickBooks. It helps businesses to file taxes, manage employees’ benefits, handle payroll, etc., all in a single place. However, this feature sometimes gets stuck with several technical errors and glitches that obstruct the regular update process of QuickBooks Payroll update. One such error is QuickBooks error PS033. This payroll error ps033 pops up on the screen when the user tries to run the company file in QuickBooks or downloads the payroll updates. The causes and solutions for the ps033 quickbooks error are given in the blog below.
QuickBooks Payroll Error PS033: A Quick Overview
QuickBooks Payroll Update Error PS033 appears on the screen due to some corrupted CPS file in the C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 20nn\Components\Payroll\CPS folder. This CPS folder has some crucial files that are required for the update of payroll and to access the company file. As a result of this error PS033, you can not access the company file or download the recent update for payroll.
The QuickBooks application gives you the error message saying, “QuickBooks can’t read your payroll setup files [Error PS033].” Along with the error message and error code, the pop-up window also provides a Help menu for basic troubleshooting information.
QuickBooks Payroll Error PS033: Causes that Trigger the Error in Your System
The payroll update error PS033 happens when QB tries to open the company file but fails to do so due to some corrupted or damaged files. The main reasons that trigger the “QuickBooks can’t read your payroll setup files” error are listed below:
- QuickBooks CPS folder or files inside it have got corrupted or damaged.
- You have not updated the QuickBooks Desktop application to the latest version.
- The UAC settings on your system are not properly configured.
- Your company file has got some damaged or incorrect entries.
- Any external program is conflicting with the payroll updates.
- Internet connection issues are interrupting the payroll update process.
- Quickbooks error code ps033 may also appear if the firewall on the system blocks QB connections and payroll updates in QB Desktop by considering them a threat.
- You might not have an active payroll subscription.
- The tax tables that you have downloaded in your system might be damaged or invalid or might have incorrect extensions and thus causing this error.
- Any malware or virus attacks can also increase the probability of corrupting your files and leading to this QuickBooks payroll update error ps033.
- Incorrect or incomplete billing details may also cause the software to malfunction. And it may cause you to face QB Error PS033.
- If you have unregistered or free software, then it may come with numerous restrictions and can cause you to face several payroll update errors.
- An invalid or incorrect service key might also cause you to face this error.
- If the Windows update and the QuickBooks on your system are not compatible with each other.
- Having payments-related issues in QuickBooks may also lead to the ps033 error in QuickBooks.
- If your EIN (Employer Identification Number) appears invalid in QuickBooks, then it may also trigger QuickBooks error PS033.
QuickBooks Error PS033: Indications that Indicate the Payroll Error in the System
Although all the payroll update errors almost show the same kind of indications. So, some of the common indications for QuickBooks Desktop Error PS033 are given below:
- An error message saying Error PS033 pops up on the screen.
- QB payroll updates do not get completely downloaded or installed.
- You get stuck by the error whenever you try to run payroll or access employee information.
- QuickBooks Payroll functions do not work as expected under the influence of the QB error PS033.
QuickBooks Error PS033: How to Fix the Payroll Update Error
To fix the PS033 error in QuickBooks Desktop, follow the given solutions one by one till you get a grasp of the issue that suits your condition. And remember, do not forget to create a backup of your important QB files. This will prevent any data loss during the troubleshooting.
Troubleshooting Solution 1: Download the Recent Payroll Tax Table
- Choose the Employees tab and go to the Get Payroll Updates option.
- Then, choose the Download entire payroll update option from the list.
- Now, hit the Update button.
You might also come across QuickBooks Error PS038. To solve it you can follow our complete blog on how to solve QuickBooks Payroll Update Error PS038.
Troubleshooting Solution 2: Rename the QuickBooks CPS Folder
- To rename the QB CPS folder, you need to go to the path: C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 20XX\ Components\Payroll\CPS.
- Here, XX is the version of the QuickBooks software that you are using.
- Now, once you are inside the location, you have to right-click on the CPS folder.
- Then, after clicking right, select the Rename option.
- Now, write the OLD at the end of the file name to change it.
- After that, opt to update the QuickBooks payroll tax table.
Troubleshooting Solution 3: Turn off the UAC Settings to fix the Error PS033
The UAC prompts appear on the screen when the user tries to make any change to the operating system without authorization. It asks them for the admin credentials and does not allow further activity unless the credentials are fed. However, you can turn off the UAC settings in the following manner mentioned below.
- Go to the Start menu of the system and choose the Control Panel option.
- Then, click on User Accounts and again select it in the next window.
- Now, click on the Change User Account Control Settings option and hit Continue.
- Now, slide the slider down to the Never Notify option and click OK.
- Lastly, restart your system and try to download the updates again.
Note- Remember, the UAC is important for your system’s security, and it must be enabled again later. For this, you have to follow the steps above and, this time, turn the slider back to Always Notify.
Troubleshooting Solution 4: Configure the File Copy Services [FCS] to fix the Error PS033
- Firstly, you need to close the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Then opt for the Start menu and select the My Computer option. Then opt for the Manage option.
- Now, from the left panel, select the Applications option.
- Then, select the Services tab from the right pane.
- Then, click twice on the Intuit QuickBooks FCS option.
- Now, in the general tab, select the Startup type option and click on Manual.
- Once done with selecting it, click Apply.
- Now, select Start and OK and launch the QB application and download its updates.
Still Confused? Talk to Our Professionals.
Give us a call at +1-(855)-955-1942
Troubleshooting Solution 5: Update the QuickBooks Desktop to the Latest Release to fix the Error PS033
The last solution to fix the QuickBooks error code ps033 is to update the software to the latest release. Follow the below-mentioned steps to update the application:
- First, close the QuickBooks application along with the company file.
- Then, go to the Windows Start menu and type in the QuickBooks Desktop in the search bar.
- Next, you have to click right on the QuickBooks icon and choose the Run as administrator.
- After that, you need to move on to the No Company file option and hit the F2 key from the console.
- Then, you have to move on to the Help menu and click on the Update QuickBooks tab.
- Now, select the Mark All option and hit Save.
- Now, click on the Update Now tab and checkmark the box near Reset Update and then hit Get Updates option.
- Wait till the update process ends.
- Now, close and open the process again and press OK to install the updates.
- Lastly, restart the system in Safe mode and once again update the QuickBooks Payroll Tax Table.
Troubleshooting Solution 6: Restore Advanced Connection Settings in Internet Explorer to fix the Error PS033
The connection settings in the Internet Explorer browser can conflict with the Update QuickBooks Desktop resulting in the error code PS033 in QuickBooks. So, you can modify the connection settings in Internet Explorer to make it function according to your needs.
- Open the Internet Explorer browser on your system and head to google.com.
- Then, tap on the Tools option followed by the Internet options.
- Here, choose the Advanced option and opt for the Reset or Restore Defaults button.
- Then, hit Apply and OK to finish the process.
Well, we hope that you will be able to resolve the QuickBooks error PS033 with the help of the above-given information. The solutions given in the blog above are simple and easy to follow. However, if you still feel that you are lost, then you can connect with our QuickBooks Support Experts and get your queries solved. Call Data Service Solution at our Toll-free number +1-(855)-955-1942 for assistance.
QuickBooks Error PS033 mostly appears with an error message, “ PS033 Error: QuickBooks can’t read your payroll setup files.” So, you can look after the message to identify the error code.
Sometimes, you can restart the system to get rid of the error when you encounter it for the first time. However, if the error still persists, then you have to perform the dedicated solutions.
To verify the data, perform the given steps:
1. First, choose the Windows option and click on the Close all button.
2. Then, move to the File section and select Utilities, followed by the Verify Data option.
3. Now, if it displays a specific error, then go to the solution for it.
4. But if it gives you a message saying QuickBooks doesn’t have any issue with your account data, then you do not need to do anything.
5. However, if you get this message saying, “Your data lost the integrity,”. It means that there are some issues in your data file, and you have to opt for the Rebuild data tool.