QuickBooks is great accounting software, yet it has some glitches that can affect its users. One of those errors is QuickBooks crashing when opening the application. Oftentimes issues like problems with the company file or others cause QuickBooks to crash when you open the software. So, if you are also one of those who face this QuickBooks keeps crashing error frequently, then do not worry, this article will help you to out. We have explained in detail about the QuickBooks crash unexpectedly error along with some easy fixes to fix this.
Read the complete article to understand the signs, reasons, and fixes behind the QuickBooks crashing when opening the software issue.
Signs You are dealing with QuickBooks Crashing When Opening Issue
It is important to first understand the signs so that you can get assured of the error that you are facing. Some common signs of QuickBooks crashing when opening the software are given below:
- Your QuickBooks keeps crashing and you are not able to open the QuickBooks desktop application even after trying multiple times.
- Your QuickBooks application starts freezing randomly at regular intervals.
- The QuickBooks desktop application on your system loads very slowly.
- The operating system of your computer crashes when you open QuickBooks.
- Your QuickBooks crashes unexpectedly while you are still performing some operation.
- You are facing repeated error messages about application failure.
- QuickBooks is lagging behind and also struggling to function efficiently.
Reason Why You have to deal with QuickBooks Crashing When Opening Issue
Once you have identified the error, it would be easier for you to get to the root cause and fix the error. Below are some of the reasons why your QuickBooks crashes unexpectedly.
- QuickBooks crashes unexpectedly when you have an issue with the Company Name
QuickBooks has some specific character limits for the company name and if the name you have entered does not match those standards you might face QuickBooks crashing when opening the application issue.
- Damage issue with the QBWUSER.INI file
QBWUSER.INI file is an important file for QuickBooks desktop application and its damage or corruption can also become a reason why your QuickBooks crashes unexpectedly.
- Corrupted Hard Drive
If the user’s hard drive gets corrupted, it may also cause the user to face QuickBooks crashing when opening.
- Outdated Windows Operating System
If your Windows Operating System is not updated to the latest version, you are prone to face the issue of QuickBooks crashing when opening.
- Installation or File Issue with Your QuickBooks
The reason why your QuickBooks keeps crashing can also be because some of the components of your QB are either damaged or missing or there is some issue with your QuickBooks installation.
- Having an Old Version of QB
QuickBooks frequently releases updates to fix some errors or to introduce new features. Thus it is important to update your QB desktop application from time to time. In case, you have an older version of QB, you can face QuickBooks crashing when opening the issue.
- Some other reasons include
- If your QB opens open large files, multiple windows, or reports automatically on opening the application, you can face QuickBooks crashing when opening the issue.
- You are using the wrong way to access certain file types.
- Some of the QBW files are already opened on some sharing network by any other user.
- The increased workload of various reports used side by side can also cause QuickBooks keep crashing issue.
Read also- How to Transfer Quickbooks to New Computer
Easy Fixes to deal with QuickBooks Crashing When Opening Issue
Once you know the exact reason behind the QuickBooks Crashing when opening the issue, you can try parallel fixes to fix the issue. But before choosing any solution, make sure to make a backup of your file to prevent any data loss.
Fix 1: Renaming the QBWUSER.ini File to avoid QuickBooks Crashing When Opening Issue
Renaming the QBWUSER.ini file can remove the previously opened company file list, so make sure that you re-open them manually once done with the process.
- Go to the folder where you have saved the QBWUSER.ini file and open it. The QBWUSER.ini file would be in the format: Users[Your user name]AppDataLocalIntuitQuickBooks [year]
- Click right on the file and select the Rename option from the menu.
- Add the suffix .old towards the end of the file name to change the name.
- Also, rename the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file in the same manner.
- After renaming both the files, open and use your QB desktop application and check if QuickBooks crashes when the opening issue still comes. If it crashes, follow the other steps.
Fix 2: Using Quick Fix my Program to resolve QuickBooks Crashing When Opening Issue
Quick Fix my Program can easily tackle the general issues encountered in QB desktop application due to some corrupted program files. To use Quick Fix my Program, follow these steps.
- Go to the QuickBooks Tool Hub and find the Quick Fix my Program option in the Program Problems tab.
- Click on the option and wait till it identifies and repairs the issue in the application.
- Open QuickBooks and check if it has rectified your QuickBooks crashing when opening the issue.
Fix 3: Disabling Hosting on Workstations to resolve QuickBooks crashes unexpectedly Issue
While hosting the company files on the network, it insists you for keeping the Host Multi-User Access option enabled. But, sometimes turning off the hosting mode on the workstations, can fix the QuickBooks crashing when opening the issue.
- Launch the QB desktop application on any of the workstations.
- Do not open the Company File now.
- Go to the File menu and switch to the Utilities option.
- If you will find the Host Multi-user Access option, do not tap on it. Instead, if you find the Stop Hosting Multi-user Access option there hit on it to disable the hosting.
- Once you perform these steps, move to the next workstation and repeat the process. Repeat the process till you disable the hosting option from all the workstations.
Once you have disabled the hosting from all the workstations, switch to the server computer, one that hosts the company file. Now follow the given steps to disable the hosting on the server computer.
- Open the QuickBooks application on the server computer.
- Tap on the File menu and select Utilities.
- Click on the Host Multi-User Access option there.
- Now, toggle the option and repeat the same steps. Now, to reset the Multi-User Mode, click the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option.
You can now turn on the Hosting mode once more to see if you can access QuickBooks and its company files after completing the given instructions.
Read more- How to resolve Quickbooks Server Busy Error
Fix 4: Moving Company File to a Fresh Location to resolve QuickBooks Crashing When Opening Issue
The location of your company file can also cause you to face QuickBooks keeps crashing issues. In such a case, open the company file in a different location. Simply follow the given steps to copy the file from its original location to the desktop.
- Go to the Start menu and search File Explorer there.
- Locate the folder containing your company file that would be in the QBW file extension.
- Once found, press the Copy option after right-clicking on the company file.
- Now, go to your desktop screen and click right and choose the Paste option.
- Once it is copied, right-click on it and choose the Rename option.
- Give the folder a name that you can easily remember, for example, QBTest folder.
- Now, open QB desktop and choose the File menu.
- Tap on the Open or Restore Company option.
- Open the file that you have recently copied.
If you are able to open the QB application and access the company file without any error, the issue was with the location of the file. You can now move the copied file to the original location and use it as your primary company file. Make sure to rename the old file with the suffix old to avoid any confusion.
Fix 5: Renaming ND and TLG Files to resolve the QuickBooks crashes unexpectedly
To function properly QB requires to access the Transaction Log (TLG) and Network Data (ND). By renaming these files the QuickBooks crashing while opening error can be resolved.
- Go to the File Explorer from the Start Menu.
- Look for the files with the ND and TLG extensions.
- Right-click on the files and select Rename.
- Add the suffix old at the end of both files.
Once done renaming the names of both ND and TLG files, open QuickBooks again and also open the company file. It will automatically create new ND and TLG files. If you still face the issue, rename the company file and TLG file only and not the ND file.
These were some of the advanced but easy fixes for the QuickBooks crashing when opening the issue. However, you can also use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool or QuickBooks Clean Install Tool from Tool Hub to rectify this issue. It is also important to update your Windows and QuickBooks desktop application from time to time. You can also ensure to not load large files or report simultaneously in the QB application to avoid the QuickBooks crashes unexpectedly issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
Your QuickBooks keeps crashing when opening because there might be some issue with your company file, or maybe the size of your company file is too big for QB to load. The other reasons for the same error are discussed above.
You can use Quick Fix My Program Tool to fix QuickBooks crashing when opening issues or other basic errors with QB. You just need to download the QuickBooks Tool Hub and use the Quick Fix my Program from it.
You can contact our QuickBooks Support Experts if your QuickBooks keeps crashing when opening. Just give us a call at +1-(855)-955-1942.