Are you one of the several QuickBooks users facing unexplained shutdowns in QB constantly? Is it testing your patience? Then, this article is specially curated for you. QuickBooks is great accounting software, yet it has some glitches that can affect its users. One of those errors is QuickBooks Crashing When Opening the application. Often, issues in the company file or QuickBooks installation might be the contributing factor to this issue. You can encounter this issue while running multiple reports in different windows, emailing large files, and working in multiple centers. But, to know more, keep reading this article as it will save you from losing your critical data and fix all the damages after comprehensively implementing the troubleshooting solutions.
Read the complete article to understand the signs, reasons, and fixes behind the QuickBooks Desktop Crashes When Opening Company File issue.
If Your QuickBooks Open then Closes Immediately, These Could be the Signs You can Notice
It is essential first to understand the signs so you can be assured of the issue you are facing. Some common signs are given below:
- Your QB application starts freezing randomly at regular intervals.
- The QB desktop application on your system loads very slowly.
- The operating system of the system crashes when you open QuickBooks.
- Your QuickBooks crashes unexpectedly while you are still performing some operation.
- You are facing repeated error messages about application failure.
- QuickBooks Does Not Respond or open even after multiple attempts.
- When the application is struggling to function efficiently.
Instances When Your QuickBooks Closes Unexpectedly
Your QuickBooks may keep crashing under several circumstances, including the following:
1. QuickBooks Keeps Crashing on Windows 10
If you frequently face crashes with your QB Desktop on Windows 10, then it might be because of a bug in the Windows 10 Creators Update. So, downloading the latest released update for Windows 10 might fix your issue.
2. QuickBooks Keeps Crashing When Opening a Company File
If you face this crashing issue while you open your company file, then the reason can be some damage or corruption in the file. In such a case, you can restore your company file from backup. To do this without the risk of any data damage, you can connect with the team of Data Service Solutions.
3. QuickBooks Closes Unexpectedly Just After User Logged In
If your application closes as soon as you log in, then there might be an underlying bug or any add-on extension causing the issue. So, to resolve it, you can disable any additional extensions and update your QB application.
4. QuickBooks Desktop Pro Plus -keeps Crashing
If you face this issue in your QuickBooks Desktop Pro Plus, then you will be required to reset your system to fix the issue. Also, make sure that your system meets the requirements for running the QB Desktop Pro Plus.
Reason Why You have to deal with QuickBooks Crashes Unexpectedly Issue
Once you have identified the error, it will be easier for you to get to the root cause and fix the error. Below are some of the reasons why your QuickBooks crashes unexpectedly.
1. QuickBooks crashes unexpectedly when you have an issue with the Company Name
QuickBooks has some specific character limits for the company name, and if the name you have entered does not match those standards, you might face QuickBooks Keeps Shutting Down the application issue.
2. Damage issue with the QBWUSER.INI file
QBWUSER.INI file is an important file for QuickBooks desktop application and its damage or corruption can also become a reason why your QuickBooks crashes unexpectedly and QuickBooks Desktop won’t open.
3. Corrupted Hard Drive
If the user’s hard drive gets corrupted, it may also cause the user to face QuickBooks crashing when opening.
4. Outdated Windows Operating System
If your Windows Operating System is not updated to the latest version, you are prone to face the issue of QuickBooks Keeps Shutting Down.
5. Installation or File Issue with Your QuickBooks
The reason why your QuickBooks keeps crashing can also be because some of the components of your QB are either damaged or missing, or there is some issue with your QuickBooks installation.
6. Having an Old Version of QB
QuickBooks frequently releases updates to fix some errors or to introduce new features. Thus it is important to update your QB desktop application from time to time. In case you have an older version of QB, you might witness this error
Some other reasons include
- If your QB opens large files, multiple windows, or reports automatically on opening the application, you can face QuickBooks crashing when opening the issue.
- You are using the wrong way to access certain file types.
- Some of the QBW files are already opened on some sharing network by any other user.
- The increased workload of various reports used side by side can also cause QuickBooks keep crashing issue.
How to Efficaciously Deal with QuickBooks Crashing When Opening the Company File?
Once you know the exact reason behind the QuickBooks Keeps Shutting Down issue, you can implement several effective troubleshooting to fix this error. But before choosing any solution, make sure to make a backup of your file of your file to prevent any data loss. And if you are unable to back up your company file, then follow our blog dedicated to the same.
1st Method: Attempting to Suppress the QB Program
Your QuickBooks freezing when opening continuously because you might have closed the application before properly closing all the windows that may have triggered this error. By default, when you exit the QB application and do not close the windows, it will directly appear on the screen whenever you launch it. Moreover, you can encounter this issue while reconciling the accounts. So, to rectify it, you must suppress the QuickBooks program.
- Begin by pressing and holding the Control key on the keyboard.
- Now, on the desktop screen, launch the QB Desktop by double-clicking on its icon.
- But, as you are following the above step, do not release the Control key until the No Company Open window is visible on the screen.
- Then, after suppressing the QuickBooks Desktop program, proceed further to fix the QuickBooks 2023 crashing error.
- Next, when the No Company window is visible, choose the company file that’s triggering the issue.
- Then, press and hold the Alt key and click on the Open option.
- Now, in case a dialog box pops up asking you to type in your admin password, then release the Alt key and proceed further.
- Subsequently, type in the details and once again hold the Alt key. This action will launch the company file.
- Lastly, verify if the issue is resolved. If not, then immediately jump on to the next troubleshooting solution.
2nd Method: Utilizing the Verify and Rebuild Data Utility
The verify tool searches the company file thoroughly and finds any issues in it, whereas the Rebuild tool eliminates the issues due to which your QuickBooks Not Responding When Opening Company File. The following is the procedure to utilize this utility.
1st Step: Verify the QB Company File Data
- Begin the steps by launching the QB Desktop and choosing the File tab.
- Now, in the File tab, click on the option of Utilities and choose Verify Data. As the tool runs, you may see any of the following results:
- In case you get the text message stating: ‘QuickBooks detected no problems with your data,‘ it means no error was detected, and the issue is not in the company file.
- In case the text message states that the ‘QB data has lost its integrity and data damaged was found in the company file.’ it means you must run the rebuild data tool now.
2nd Step: Rebuilding the QB Company File Data
- Initially, choose the File tab on the top of the toolbar in the QB application.
- Then, click Utilities and choose the Rebuild Data option.
- Now, a text will appear on the screen asking you to create a backup before QB rebuilds the company file.
- Proceed to click OK, type in a new name for the file, and choose Save.
- Then, when you see the text- Rebuild has completed, select the OK option.
- Now, if you want to check additional damages in the file, choose the File tab, click Utilities, and then the Verify Data option.
- If the verify tool finds more damage, you must rectify it manually.
- However, if the tool does not detect any error, restore the recent backup. For that, navigate to File > Open or Restore Company.
Note: Do not replace the backup file with the original company file to avoid losing the original company data.
3rd Method: Modifying the QBWUSER.ini File Name
Renaming the QBWUSER.ini file can remove the previously opened company file list, so make sure that you re-open them manually once you are done with the process.
- Go to the folder where you have saved the QBWUSER.ini file and open it. The QBWUSER.ini file would be in the format: Users[Your user name]AppDataLocalIntuitQuickBooks [year]
- Click right on the file and select the Rename option from the menu.
- Add the suffix .old towards the end of the file name to change the name.
- Also, rename the EntitlementDataStore.ecml file in the same manner.
- After renaming both the files, open and use your QB desktop application and check if QuickBooks crashes when the opening issue still occurs. If it crashes, follow the other steps.
Check if your QuickBooks crashing when opening after implementing this solution. If yes, you must immediately proceed to the next solution to fix general issues in the QuickBooks Desktop program.
4th Method: Utilizing the Quick Fix My Program Utility
Quick Fix My Program can easily tackle the general issues encountered in QB desktop applications due to some corrupted program files. To use Quick Fix My Program, follow these steps.
- Go to the QuickBooks Tool Hub and find the Quick Fix My Program option in the Program Problems tab.
- Click on the option and wait till it identifies and repairs the issue in the application.
- Open QuickBooks and check if it has rectified your QuickBooks Keeps Crashing Error issue.
If fixing general program issues does not resolve the issue due to which your QuickBooks crashing when opening, follow the next solution and repair QuickBooks installation.
5th Method: In the Tool Hub, Run the QB Install Diagnostic Tool
This utility is specifically used to repair installation issues due to damaged QB installation files that, in the end, trigger the ‘QuickBooks crashing when opening’ issue.
- For starters, launch the QB Tool Hub on the desktop.
- In the Tool Hub, click the option of Installation Issues.
- Now, choose Diagnostic Tool. The process to fix installation issues can take up to 20 minutes.
- Then, after the process is over, reboot the computer and open the QB Desktop.
- Proceed to click the company file. If all seems all right, update the application.
Even after repairing the installation, if your QuickBooks crashing when opening, it must be the missing updates that are causing the issue; follow the next solution and install the most recent QuickBooks Desktop updates released by Intuit.
6th Method: Updating the QB Application
If you want to get rid of the QuickBooks Automatic Shutdown issue, try updating the application after running the Install Diagnostic Tool, which will detect and eliminate the ‘QuickBooks Desktop Crashes While Opening Company File’ issue from the core. Updating the QB application will get the latest fixes and security updates that can help resolve this issue.
- Begin by double-clicking the QB Desktop icon to launch it.
- Now, you will see the Help menu on the top of the home page; click on it.
- Then, under the Help tab, choose Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Further, select the Update Now and then Get Updates option.
- Then, close the application and open it again to install the updates.
- Proceed to click the Yes option and let the update process finish.
If updating the QuickBooks application brings no fruitful results in resolving the issue where your QuickBooks crashing when opening, relocate the company file as the next troubleshooting solution.
7th Method: Move the Company File to Another Location
The location of your company file can also cause you to face QuickBooks keeps crashing issues. In such a case, open the company file in a different location. Simply follow the given steps to copy the file from its original location to the desktop.
- Go to the Start menu and search File Explorer there.
- Locate the folder containing your company file that would be in the QBW file extension.
- Once found, press the Copy option after right-clicking on the company file.
- Now, go to your desktop screen, click right, and choose the Paste option.
- Once it is copied, right-click on it and choose the Rename option.
- Give the folder a name that you can easily remember, for example, the QBTest folder.
- Now, open QB desktop and choose the File menu.
- Tap on the Open or Restore Company option.
- Open the file that you have recently copied.
- If you are able to open the QB application and access the company file without any error, the issue was with the location of the file. You can now move the copied file to the original location and use it as your primary company file. Make sure to rename the old file with the suffix old to avoid any confusion.
If you find that it is not the location of the company file due to which your QuickBooks crashing when opening, follow the final solutions to repair the QuickBooks Desktop program using the built-in Windows program repair feature.
8th Method: Manually Repair the QuickBooks Desktop Program
If none of the solutions above helped resolve the issues due to which the QuickBooks crashing when opening, we will run a manual repair of the QuickBooks Desktop program. Here is how you can use the Windows in-built repair feature to Repair QuickBooks Desktop.
- First, press the Windows and letter R keys together to launch the Run command box.
- Now, type Appwiz.cpl in the text box as the command and press Enter.
- This action will open a list of every program installed on Windows, and you need to locate QuickBooks in this list.
- Once located, select it and click the Repair option at the top right next to the Uninstall option.
- This will open the program repair window where you need to follow the on-screen instructions to repair the QuickBooks Desktop program.
- Once the repair is done using the Windows program repair feature, retry to run QuickBooks and check if it is still crashing or working perfectly fine.
Hopefully, the above troubleshooting might assist you in eradicating the QuickBooks Crashes While Opening Company File the program or the company file issue. We must inform you that utilizing the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool from Tool Hub must be the last solution that you should apply. Try to implement the solutions in order, as mentioned in the article, for effective and quick results. However, if the issue does not get rectified with the resolutions, or if you need help in between any steps, call us at the +1-(855)-955-1942. Pick up the phone now and call us!! Our dedicated professionals are waiting for your call.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: Your QuickBooks keeps crashing when opening because there might be some issue with your company file, or maybe the size of your company file is too big for QB to load. The other reasons for the same error are discussed above.
Ans: You can use Quick Fix My Program Tool to fix QuickBooks crashing when opening issues or other basic errors with QB. You just need to download the QuickBooks Tool Hub and use the Quick Fix my Program from it.
Ans: You can contact our QuickBooks Support Experts if your QuickBooks keeps crashing when opening. Just give us a call at +1-(855)-955-1942.
Ans: Your QB may freeze or crash if you have installed the QB Desktop from a damaged program file. An outdated QB software can also result in the same issue.
Ans: The most likely reason why your QuickBooks crashes while emailing a report is because the size of the file is quite large, and the email system is unable to handle it. This happens because your report might contain a lot of data. However, you can fix the size of the file by removing unnecessary data or by compressing the file size.