With technology getting better each passing day, businesses are also eyeing features that can enhance their business productivity. QuickBooks is one such software that comes with robust and advanced features. Besides, it can integrate with otherworldly office applications and systems while keeping up with your bookkeeping needs. It is hard for such people to imagine even a single day of work without the QB accounting software. However, what would happen if the QuickBooks won’t open or take endless time to start? It could be a nightmare for your busy schedules, and with no technical know-how, you cannot solve the error quickly. This error is usually seen when a user tries to open the QuickBooks desktop or a company file but fails to do so. It comes up with an error message stating QuickBooks desktop won’t open or doesn’t start. However, in some situations, no error might appear on the screen, but the system freezes suddenly. As a consequence of this QuickBooks does not start errors, you might face issues with the system as well. It might also affect the company file. Thus, you need to resolve it at the earliest. But before that, you must get aware of the possible causes that bring forth the QuickBooks won’t open company file issue.
Main Reasons Behind Why You Can’t Open QuickBooks Desktop
It might be possible that you can’t open QuickBooks Desktop even several minutes after the command appears on the screen. Well, there might be several reasons behind it. Below we have listed all the possible causes that result in QuickBooks desktop won’t open error:
- There might be a possibility that your system hard drive is damaged and thus restricts you from accessing software like QuickBooks.
- The name of your company file might be too long or consist of some special characters.
- You might be using an outdated operating system that further triggers QuickBooks won’t start error.
- Impartial or incorrect installation of the QuickBooks application.
- The product registration file (QBWUSER.INI) is corrupted due to which you are unable to open QuickBooks Desktop.
How To Resolve QuickBooks Desktop Doesn’t Start Issue?
After getting a brief on the possible causes that evoke QuickBooks Desktop doesn’t start error, you must try to fix it at the earliest to continue using the QuickBooks application. To help you do so, below we have mentioned some of the effective resolution methods implementing which you would be able to resolve QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error:
Note: If you select your QuickBooks Desktop icon multiple times, sometimes, it won’t open. Allow QuickBooks enough time to load before you continue.
Solution 1: Use the Quick Fix my Program
If you come across a QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error while using the QuickBooks Desktop program, then, you must run the Quick Fix my Program. It will shut down any open background processes that QuickBooks may be using. Further, it will run a quick repair on your program to resolve the QuickBooks not opening issue.
- Download and Install the QuickBooks Tool Hub(latest Version).
- Open QuickBooks Tool Hub and select Program Problems.
- From there, select Quick Fix my Program and wait for the scan to complete.
- Once done, open the QuickBooks Desktop application and then, the company file.
Solution 2: Suppress the QuickBooks Desktop Application
In several instances, you might come to know that your company file is damaged. Thus, in that case, you need to figure out if the issue is with QuickBooks or your company file. For that, QuickBooks might try to open your previous file.
- Press and hold the Ctrl key, then double-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon. (Don’t release the Ctrl key until you see the “No Company Open” window unless QuickBooks freezes or gives you an error.)
- Select a company file, then choose Open.
Aren’t you able to resolve QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error even after following the above solutions? If yes, you can jump to the below-given resolution methods.
Solution 3: Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool
If you come across any issue while installing the QuickBooks software, it will restrict you from opening the accounting application. Thus, you need to fix it at the earliest. For that, you may run the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool from the Tool Hub by following the steps mentioned below.
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub, then, select Installation Issues.
- After that, select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool and let it run. However, it might take some time (nearly 20 minutes) for it to complete the process.
- When the tool finishes, restart your computer.
- Lastly, start the QuickBooks Desktop application and open your company file and check if QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error persists or not.
Solution 4: Repair your QuickBooks Desktop Installation
If you get a QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error while using, installing, or updating QuickBooks, one of the first things you can do is to run the repair tool. It will help you fix common errors like QuickBooks closes when opening a company file right away. Further, you may run it by following the below-given steps:
Note: Before you proceed with the below steps, make sure to create a back of your company file. Along with that, you must restart your computer. It makes sure there are no programs that may affect the repair.
- Click on the Windows icon and then, go to the Control Panel. (If you’re a Windows 8 or 8.1 user, search the Control Panel in the Windows Start menu.)
- After that, click on Programs and Features and then, Uninstall a Program. However, if you couldn’t see the Programs and Features option, click on Programs instead. Then, select Program and Features.
- Now, select QuickBooks from the list of Programs, and then, click on Uninstall/Change option.
- Further, click on Continue> Repair> Next.
Note: You must know that the repair process might take some time depending on the speed of your system and the size of your company file. Thus, you must leave your system running, and come back once it’s done.
- Moreover, to complete the repair process, you must restart your computer. Once done, click on Finish.
- Lastly, make sure to update your QuickBooks application as per the latest release. It ensures that you have the most recent fixes and security updates.
Still stuck with the QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error? Well, in that case, you must follow the below-listed solutions.
Solution 5: Run the Clean Install tool from the Tools Hub
Many times, you might find that the QuickBooks desktop won’t open due to damaged program files. In such a scenario, you must run a basic reinstall when the same issue affects more than one of your company files. However, if that doesn’t work, you may do a clean install by using the QuickBooks Clean install tool. It resolves all such issues that restrict you from opening the company file, display and template problems, and a few other situations. The QuickBooks Clean Install tool auto renames your old install folders for you. This allows QuickBooks to add new install files when you reinstall. It won’t remove your company files.
Solution 6: Delete QBWUSER.INI File and Re-register the QuickBooks Desktop application
At times, you may try to resolve the QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error by deleting the .ini file. It will remove the product registration information, and thus, the user can register QuickBooks once again by following the below-given steps.
- Go to the Local C:\ Drive and open the Users folder.
- Search the folder with your user name and open the AppData folder in it.
- Double-click on the Intuit folder under the Local directory and open the QuickBooks[year}] folder.
- Now, search for the QBWUSER.INI file and delete it.
- Go to Desktop and right-click on the time display at the screen’s bottom right corner.
- Click on Adjust Date/Time and set the date if it’s not correct.
- Click on Apply and select OK.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop again and select Help.
- Click on Activate QuickBooks and select Begin Activation.
- Enter the product validation code and click on Next to register it.
Get Professional’s Help To Fix QB Won’t Start Error!
We hope the troubleshooting solutions mentioned in this blog would have helped you resolve QuickBooks desktop won’t open error. However, there might be a possibility that none of the above methods would have worked in your favour and thus, you’re still stuck with it. Well, in that case, we would suggest you give us a call on QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Helpline Number +1(855)-955-1942.
QuickBooks Desktop Won’t Open FAQs
Several factors are affecting QuickBooks not to open correctly. A couple of them are technical errors that can be caused by the system and environmental problems in addition to how QuickBooks interacts with these variables. To resolve the issue, you can start by running a quick fix on your program from the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
Every list in the program is loaded into memory when QuickBooks starts, which can take a long time due to which QuickBooks desktop won’t open. Files can become corrupted over time as well, which can bloat file size and slow startup.