It is hard for some businesses to even imagine a single day of work without the QB accounting software. However, imagine what would happen if their QuickBooks won’t open or took endless time to start. This error is usually seen when a user tries to open the QuickBooks desktop or a company file but fails to do so. However, sometimes your system freezes suddenly and no error appears on your screen. As a consequence of this QuickBooks does not start errors, but you might face issues with the system and company files as well. When this error occurs, an error message pops up on your screen is:
QuickBooks desktop won’t open or doesn’t start
Stressed because of QuickBooks won’t open company file issue? You should reach out to our technical experts at +1-(855)-955-1942 for a quick solution.
Main Reasons Behind Why You Can’t Open QuickBooks Desktop
It might be possible that you can’t open QuickBooks Desktop even several minutes after the command appears on the screen. Well, there might be several reasons behind it. Below we have listed all the possible causes that result in the QuickBooks desktop won’t open error:
- There might be a possibility that your system hard drive is damaged and thus restricts you from accessing QB software.
- The name of your company file might be too long or consist of some special characters.
- An outdated operating system that triggers QuickBooks won’t start an issue.
- Impartial or incorrect installation of the QuickBooks application.
- If your product registration file (QBWUSER.INI) is corrupted and you are unable to open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Corrupted Company Files.
Ways to Fix QuickBooks Desktop Doesn’t Start Issue
To use the QuickBooks application at the earliest, look at the below-mentioned effective resolution methods. Implementing these methods will help you to resolve QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error:
Solution 1: Use the Quick Fix my Program
You can run the Quick Fix my Program if you face the QuickBooks Desktop won’t open issue while using the QuickBooks Desktop program. It will shut down any running background processes that QuickBooks may be using. Further, it will also initiate a quick repair on your program to resolve the QuickBooks not opening issue.
- Download and Install the QuickBooks Tool Hub(the latest Version).
- Now, Open QuickBooks Tool Hub and Go to Program Problems.
- From there, you need to tap on the Quick Fix my Program option and wait for the tool to complete the scan.
- Once done, you can open the QuickBooks Desktop application and then the company file.
Solution 2: Suppress the QuickBooks Desktop Application
As mentioned above in the causes, you may face this issue if your company file has got damaged. In that case, this step will help you to know whether the QuickBooks Software or your company file has the issue. For that, your previous file might get opened by QuickBooks.
- First, you should Press and hold the Ctrl key, then click twice on the QuickBooks Desktop icon. (Note that you should not release your hand from the Ctrl key until you see the “No Company Open” window, or else it will freeze the QuickBooks or gives you an error.)
- Now, Go to a company file to select Open.
You May Also Read: Resolve Common QuickBooks display issues
Aren’t you able to resolve QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error even after following the above solutions? If yes, you can jump to the below-given resolution methods.
Solution 3: Run the QB Install Diagnostic Tool to resolve the QuickBooks Desktop won’t open issue
If you come across any issue while installing the QuickBooks software, it will restrict you from opening the accounting application. To fix it, you may run the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool from the Tool Hub by following the steps mentioned below.
- First, Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub, then, Tap on Installation Issues.
- After that, Click on the QB Install Diagnostic Tool and let it run. However, it might take some time (nearly 20 minutes) to complete the process.
- When the tool gets the process finished, you have to restart your computer.
- Lastly, start the QuickBooks Desktop application and open your company file and check if QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error persists or not.
Solution 4: Repair your QuickBooks Desktop Installation
You might get QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error while using, installing, or updating QuickBooks Application. At this time, You need to run the repair tool first. t will help you fix some common errors like QuickBooks closes when opening a company file. Further, you may also run it by following the below-given steps:
Note to Remember: Before you proceed ahead with the below-mentioned steps, you need to create a backup for your company file. Along with that, you must also restart your computer and make sure that there are no programs that may affect the repair process. After that, continue with the steps:
- First, tap on the Windows icon and then go to the Control Panel option. (If you’re a Windows 8 or 8.1 user, then you need to search the Control Panel in the Windows Start menu.)
- After that, click on Programs and Features, followed by Uninstall a Program option. However, if you do not see the Programs and Features option, then click on Programs instead. Afterward, select Program and Features.
- Now, choose QuickBooks from the given list of Programs, and then click on Uninstall/Change option.
- Further, click on Continue> Repair and then Next.
Note: Here, you must understand that the repair process might take some time. Its process duration depends on the speed of your system along with the size of your company file. Thus, you must leave your system running for a while and return once it’s done.
- Moreover, to complete the repair process, you would need to restart your computer. And once done, click on Finish.
- Lastly, also make sure that you update your QuickBooks application as per the latest release. This ensures that you get the most recent fixes and security updates.
Still stuck with the QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error? Well, in that case, you must follow the below-listed solutions.
Solution 5: Run the Clean Install tool from the Tools Hub to fix the QuickBooks Desktop won’t open issue
Many times, you might find that the QuickBooks desktop won’t open due to damaged program files. In such a scenario, you need to run a basic reinstall when the same issue affects more than one of your company files. However, if that doesn’t work, you may do a clean install by using the QuickBooks Clean install tool. It resolves all such issues that restrict you from opening the company file, display and template problems, and a few other situations. The QuickBooks Clean Install tool renames your old install folders automatically for you. It allows QuickBooks to add new install files when you reinstall. By this, your company files will not remove.
Solution 6: Delete QBWUSER.INI File and Re-register the QB Desktop application.
By deleting the .ini file, you can get rid of QuickBooks Desktop won’t open error. It will remove the product registration information, and thus, the user can register QuickBooks once again by following the below-given steps.
- First, move to the Local C:\ Drive and then open the Users folder.
- Now, you need to search the folder with your user name, followed by opening the AppData folder in it.
- After that, double-click on the Intuit folder under the Local directory of your system and open the QuickBooks[year}] folder.
- There you need to search for the QBWUSER.INI file and delete it.
- For the next step, you need to go to the Desktop option and right-click on the time displayed in the screen’s bottom right corner.
- Then, click on Adjust Date/Time and set the date if it’s not correct.
- Afterward, click on the Apply and OK buttons.
- Then, open QuickBooks Desktop again and select Help.
- Now, click on Activate QuickBooks and choose the Begin Activation option.
- Next, enter your product validation code and then click on Next to register it.
Solution 7: Access the company file from some different location to resolve the QuickBooks not opening issue.
- The first step involves hitting the Windows + E keys.
- It will open the windows explorer window.
- Then you need to look for the .qbw file there.
- After that, you need to look for a file location on the network server. Make sure to look for the Network drive on which the data file is located.
- Then, click right on the file and then select copy.
- Then, make a new folder in the C: drive and rename it as Qb Test.
- Then, open the newly created folder and paste the company file into it.
- Lastly, open the company file while pressing the Ctrl key and access the company file you just copied.
Solution 8: Run QuickBooks in Windows Safe Boot Mode to resolve the QuickBooks Desktop Won’t open issue.
While running QB in Windows safe mode will help you to confirm that there is no other application that is interfering with Quickbooks.
- To do this, first press the Windows + R keys and then type the text MSConfig in the Run box.
- Then, hit Enter or OK and open the System Configuration Utility.
- Then, from under the General tab, you need to mark the Selective Startup option and then click Apply followed by OK.
- You need to restart your Windows and run QuickBooks once all the changes are saved.
- If now your QuickBooks works more normally than before, it indicates that some other program installed on your Windows operating system is interfering with QuickBooks. You must get rid of it before it creates another issue.
Get Professional’s Help To Fix QB Won’t Start Error!
We hope the above-mentioned troubleshooting solutions helped you resolve the QuickBooks desktop won’t open error. However, there might be a possibility that none of the above methods would have worked in your favor, and thus, you’re still stuck with it. Well, in that case, we would suggest you give us a call at QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Helpline Number +1(855)-955-1942.
Frequently Asked Questions
You are unable to open the installed 2021 QuickBooks because of certain technical errors caused by the system and environmental problems according to which the QuickBooks interacts with these variables. You can run a quick fix on your program from the QuickBooks Tools Hub to resolve the issue. And also implement the solutions given in the blog above.
Sometimes QuickBooks takes so long to open because every list in the application is loaded into memory, and when QuickBooks starts, it loads everything. Along with that, some files can also become corrupted over time as well, which can bloat file size and result in a slow startup.
If you are facing problems opening QuickBooks, you can use the Quick Fix my Program feature from QuickBooks Tool Hub. The detailed steps are given in the article above.
Your QuickBooks won’t open if there is some issue with the system’s hard drive or if the name of the company file has some special character or is too long. There can also be other reasons why you face problems opening QuickBooks; these are discussed above.