QuickBooks Desktop application is an innovative accounting and bookkeeping application that manages your financial and accounting data very effectively. The application is best suited for small and mid-sized businesses when used in the latest version. However, sometimes, the users use an outdated version of the application and get stuck over several issues. And thus, it becomes essential to get the latest QuickBooks Desktop Update. These updates act as the maintenance release for patches or glitches. These updates also optimize the performance of the QB application and automatically fix many known issues.
What are the benefits of updating QuickBooks Desktop to the latest version?
Intuit frequently releases updates for its various versions of QuickBooks to add new features, release maintenance patches and resolve several bugs. And updating to the latest version helps you to get access to all these benefits. Here are all the benefits that you get once your QuickBooks Desktop Update is done to the new version.
- You will have better security of your data if you update the application.
- It will also ensure that you have error-free user knowledge.
- Some of the common security loops and bugs will get resolved after the update.
- The latest update brings some new features like real-time invoice status tracking, improved data file, etc.
What do you get with the latest QuickBooks desktop update?
The latest version of the QB application 2023 brings many new features, improvements, bug fixes, and benefits. The list of various features that you get with the 2023 update for QuickBooks Desktop is given here:
Advanced User Management
You can now easily manage the user roles and permissions in the QB application according to your requirements. Along with that, with this particular feature, you can now restrict any user from doing a particular activity.
RFA Enhancement Feature
With this feature, you can now send requests to QuickBooks for the second admin.
Inventory Aging Report
With this inventory aging report, you can get all the information about the value, quality, age, and acquisition of the stocks. You can now be sure about the details of your stock product.
With this latest version, you can fix the data-level permissions in 3 different situations:
- If you are not able to create transactions for unpermitted customers from batch enter transactions due to customer name typing.
- If your report filter for (>=1) or (=) shows you incorrect, then this latest update can help you.
- When a vendor group has a credit balance greater than 0, and shows incorrect results, in such a situation, updating the QuickBooks application to the latest release would fix it.
Tax 1099 NEC and MISC
This is an advanced feature of QB where it supports the 1099 MISC and 1099 NEC to printing and E-filing. It even permits third-party applications to use the software developer kit for e-filing.
Improvements in online banking
This new feature will let you save the customization of columns and create rules for both running money-out and money-in transactions. You can also assign a customer in QuickBooks job to their expenses in the banking transactions table.
How to check if your QuickBooks Desktop is up-to-date or not?
The latest updates make slight changes to the database and thus make the information file non-readable with earlier releases. So, you need to check and ensure to timely have the QuickBooks desktop patch. However, to check if your QB has the latest version or not, check out the steps given below:
- The first step is to open the QB Desktop.
- Then, hit the F2 or Ctrl + 1 keys and open the product information window.
- Here, check the current version and release for QB Desktop.
- Also, verify the available QuickBooks release.
What are the Current release numbers for each version of QuickBooks Desktop?
Here is a list of the current release numbers for all the versions of QB Desktop:
- QuickBooks 2023 R3_103
- QuickBooks 2022 R5_157
- QuickBooks 2021 R10_52
- QuickBooks 2020 R15_52
How to update QuickBooks desktop to 2023?
Being a QB user, you have multiple ways to update your QuickBooks Desktop to the latest version. You can opt for any method based on your own preferences. You can update your QuickBooks Desktop automatically or manually. Enabling Automatic Updates will download and install the updates as soon as they are released and get available, while the manual method will allow you to do the process by yourself.
The four options you can opt for QuickBooks Desktop Update are as follows:
- Automatic QuickBooks Update Method (default setting)
- On-Demand Update Method (immediate)
- Release Download
- Manual QuickBooks Update
After the updates get downloaded, QB will install all the important company files to the correct location on the system. And you will get a reminder notification to install the update whenever you restart your QuickBooks application the next time. Sometimes, you will also be required to close and shut down the QB application and restart it again to allow updates to take effect. However, remember if you are using the QB application in multi-user mode, then you need to install the updates on all the computers to avoid any issues. And if you get issues like multi-user not working, then you can get help from our experts.
Method 1: Automatic QuickBooks Desktop Update Method
It is a default method for updating QB Desktop application as QuickBooks itself checks for the new updates from Intuit’s server and downloads it. It will automatically download the updates when you are not working on QuickBooks or otherwise using the internet. This happens because of the default settings in the application; however, you can disable the automatic update if you wish not to update QuickBooks automatically.
Steps to enable or disable the QuickBooks Desktop Automatic Update Option:
- First, open the QuickBooks application and go to the Help menu.
- After that, hit a click on the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Then, in the Update QuickBooks window, hit on the Options tab.
- Here, you can make your choice. You can choose Yes to enable Automatic Updates or No to disable Automatic Updates. If you opt for the disable option, you will still receive notifications asking you to use the Update Service. These notifications are just reminder messages and don’t always mean that an update is available.
- Lastly, hit on the Save and Close buttons.
Method 2: On-Demand QuickBooks Desktop Update Method
This method allows you to download QuickBooks Desktop updates from the Intuit server directly. However, it is not compulsory to keep your application open while downloading the updates. You can use this method anytime to download the updates immediately, even if the Automatic Update option is also enabled. Also, make sure to check for the latest updates at least once every month.
Steps to check for available updates and install them:
- Firstly, open the QB application and move to the Help menu.
- Then, click on the Update QuickBooks option followed by the Update Now button.
- Here, you need to select the update you wish to download and hit on the Get Updates button. Here you can check what new things are included in this new update from the Update column. Just hit on the Maintenance Release link, and it will lead to a new page showing the details about the changes/improvements in the update.
- After that, you need to close the QB application. And next time, when you use QB, you will receive a pop-up asking you to Install the update. You can also select the option to Download it now or later. Click Yes, if you wish to install it now and restart your system once the installation is completed.
Method 3: Release Download Method for QuickBooks Desktop Update
If you are having any sort of issues with the update feature or do not want to do it through the update feature, then you can download and install the available updates. But make sure to update all the copies if you are using multiple copies of QB on the system. Not doing this can cause you to face issues while opening your company file.
Steps to download QuickBooks Desktop Updates for QB Pro and Premier in multi-user mode
If you use QuickBooks Pro or Premier in multi-user mode, then you have to install the updates on every system. For this, you have to connect your system to the internet for downloading and installing the recent updates. You can also download the updates on one system over the network and later share them.
Steps to share the downloaded updates
- First, open the shared QB company files.
- Then, go to the Help menu and hit on the Update QuickBooks option.
- Then, move to the Options tab.
- Now, click Yes for the Share Download option.
- Now, hit the Save button and end the process.
The steps mentioned above will permit you to share the downloaded updates to all the computers. The updates, by default, get downloaded in the location of your company file once you have enabled the share option. If you cannot find the downloaded file there, then you can search for it through the directory in the folder having the copy of QuickBooks software.
After this, you also need to install the newly released updates for your QB company file. And remember that once you update your company file, then you won’t be able to access it through earlier releases of QB.
Here are a few tips for updating the new QuickBooks desktop company file
- First, click on your New version of QB Desktop.
- Then, open the File menu and choose to Open or restore the company.
- Then, select the Company file and hit Next.
- Now, highlight the company data file and hit Open.
In case, the Move Company File window appears on your screen, do the following steps:
- First, read the company data in the Update QuickBooks Company file for the New Version window. And click on the checkbox and then hit Update Now.
- Now, follow the given prompts and create a backup of the files.
Method 4: Manual QuickBooks Desktop Update
- First, close your QB company file and the Desktop application.
- Then, click right on the QB Desktop icon followed by hitting on the Run as administrator option.
- Now, on the No Company Open screen, go to the Help menu tab and select the option Update for QuickBooks.
- Then, move to the Options tab and select the mark all option.
- Hit Save.
- Now, go for the Update Now button and mark the Reset Update box.
- Then, hit the Get Updates button, and when the update completed message appears on the screen, close the QB application.
- Now, when you open the QB application again, you will get the message to install the update on the screen; click Yes.
- After the installation completes, restart your system.
How to update QuickBooks desktop to 2023 for MAC?
Follow the given steps for QuickBooks Dekstop Update for Mac users.
First, check the version you have
For this, open your QB Desktop for Mac and hit the Command + 1 keys on your keyboard to get the details about the version and release.
Step 1: In-Product Update
- For the in-product update method, first, go to the drop-down menu and hit a click on the Check for QuickBooks updates option.
- Then, if you find the new version available, click on the Install and Update button.
- For the next step, it will prompt you to select Install and relaunch.
- Now, when the update process ends, QB for Mac will automatically launch.
Step 2: Update Manually
- For the manual update methods, you have to uninstall the older version and reinstall the newer one.
- Then, navigate to the QuickBooks product updates option and reinstall the latest version.
- After that, choose the Desktop version and then download the installer file to the system.
- Lastly, click twice on the downloaded .dmg file and move the QB Desktop icon to the Applications folder and install it.
Well, this brings us to the last part of the article for QuickBooks Desktop Update. We hope that you will be able to update your QuickBooks Desktop to the latest version after following the steps mentioned above. However, remember that even if the update process is straightforward, you can still get errors during the update. These errors can result because of faults and misconfigurations in the operating system.
In case you get stuck over an error while trying to update QuickBooks Desktop to 2023, you can immediately connect with one of our professionals at Data Service Solutions. Call the Toll-free number +1-(855)-955-1942 to get connected.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, a new version of QB that is QuickBooks Desktop Premier Plus 2023, was released in September 2022.
If you have installed a newer version of QB Desktop over an older version, then you would need to reinstall the older version in a completely different folder to access the old backups and pre-conversion version.
To upgrade the QB Desktop 2017 to 2022, you have to open the Discovery Hub and choose the option Upgrade to QuickBooks 2022. After that, click on the Proceed to upgrade option and select Upgrade Now button. However, if you want to retain both the new and older version, click on the Keep old version on my computer option.
You might be facing issues while updating the QuickBooks Desktop to the latest version because-
1. Internet security or firewall settings on your system might be interfering with updates.
2. Your internet connection might be creating some issues.
3. You might have multiple instances of QB on the same system.
To get solutions to your queries and resolve the QuickBooks Desktop Update Errors, call the Toll-free number +1-(855)-955-1942 and connect with an expert.
The different release numbers for all the versions of QuickBooks desktop for MAC are:
QuickBooks Mac Plus 2023 R1
QuickBooks Mac Plus 2022 R7
QuickBooks Mac 2021 R10
QuickBooks Mac 2020 R14