Do you want to make a backup of your company file? Well, that’s a great decision that you have taken to keep your accounting data secure. For that, create a backup company file in QuickBooks desktop. You may also consider it as a save point of your business data that will help you restore your data if you ever run into problems or come across any unwanted situation. However, there are two ways to back up your company file that are discussed ahead in this blog.
Slight mistakes while backing up your company data can cost you. Thus, to avoid it you can take our experts assistance by dialing our Toll-Free Number +1-(855)-955-1942. They’ll help you create a backup company file in QuickBooks desktop without any failure.
How To Backup QuickBooks Company File In QB Desktop?
You must have understood how important it is to backup the company file QuickBooks desktop. As the unforeseen circumstances can take place anytime and so do cybercrimes. However, to help you with the backup procedure, we have listed the required steps below.
Note: If you’re someone who doesn’t need a full backup and just wants to move your accounting data, then, you create a portable company file.
Step 1: Create a Backup Company File
By creating a backup company file in QuickBooks Desktop, you can stay assured that all your data is on the company file. This data includes accounting data, letters, logos, images, templates, and other QuickBooks-related files (like QuickBooks Statement Writer, Business Planner, Cash Flow Projector, and Loan Manager). All these data can be secured and can be recovered whenever required.
Note: One must know that the backup company file doesn’t back up your payroll forms. However, you can still do that. We’ll guide you with that a bit later.
Moreover, there are two ways as listed below by following which you can back up your data:
- Schedule automatic backups
- Backup your company file manually
A: Steps to Schedule Automatic Backups
Instead of getting into the trouble of manually backing up your company file, you can directly let QuickBooks do it for you automatically. To do so, you must proceed with the below-given steps:
- Firstly, open the QuickBooks application, then go to the File menu and choose the option saying Switch to Single-user Mode.
- Again, go to the File menu and hover over Back up Company and select Create Local Backup option.
- Select Local Backup from the window that opens up and then, click Next.
- Then, in the Local Backup Only section, you need to Browse the location where you want to save your backup company file.
- If required, you may also set the number of backups you want to keep.
Note: To set backup reminders, you can try out the options in the Online and Local Backup section instead of marking it on your calendar.
- Further, select Complete verification from the Online and Local Backup section. It will run a test to ensure that your backup file is in good shape before you save it.
- Once your backup file is prepared, select OK.
- Now, click on Save it now and schedule future backups and then Next. However, if you want to save it in the future, then select Only schedule future backups.
- After that, mark the Save backup copy automatically when I close my company file checkbox. Also, select the number of times between backups.
- If you want to create a schedule, click on New.
- For creating a backup schedule, you have to fill out the data fields. You can set a particular time or day of the week.
- Click OK right after you set the schedule. When prompted, to enter your Windows sign-in password, it gives QuickBooks permission to run the scheduled backup.
- At last, once you’re ready to create your backup company file in QuickBooks Desktop, select Finish.
Important: QuickBooks creates a backup and schedules your future backups simultaneously on its own. Whenever it is done, you’ll get a confirmation message.
B: Here’s How to Back Up your Company File Manually
There might be certain reasons which you would prefer to back up your company files on your own whenever required. If that’s the scenario, following the below-listed would surely be a help:
- Open the QuickBooks application, then go to the File menu and select the Switch to Single-user Mode option.
- Then, again go to the File menu again and hover over the Backup Company option, and select to Create Local Backup.
- Now from the window that appears, select the Local Backup option and then hit the Next button.
- Now in the Local Backup Only section, select the Browse option to select the location where you want to save your backup company file.
- It will run a test to ensure that your backup file is in good condition and error-free before you save it. Once done, click OK.
- Then, click on Save it now and Next.
- Lastly, QuickBooks creates a single backup company file in QuickBooks Desktop and when done, you’ll receive a confirmation message.
Step 2: Adjust your backup settings
Aren’t you sure of the location of your last backed-up company file? Don’t worry! Just go to the File menu and hover over the Back up Company option, there, you will find the time and date at the top of the menu.
However, you can even change your backup preferences if you want to. For that, you must follow-given steps:
- Go to the File menu, hover over Back up Company and select Create Local Backup followed by Options.
- Then, make the required changes and click OK.
How To Back Up Payroll Forms?
As said above, QuickBooks doesn’t have the feature to automatically back up your payroll forms. However, there are a few ways to save them. You can either print copies & save them to your hard drive or save them as PDFs if using QuickBooks Enhanced Payroll.
Moreover, if you want your accountant to edit your payroll tax forms, then you need to send the folder that has all of your saved payroll forms.
- For this, click on the Windows icon, search and open File Explorer.
- Now, Browse your computer and look for this folder: [your company name] Tax Forms as it will have all of your payroll data.
- Save this folder and send it along with the backup company file to your accountant.
- Once restored, your accountant has to save the Tax Forms folder in the same folder as your company file.
- Once it gets restored, your accountant then has to save the Tax Forms folder in the same folder as your company file.
Note: If you want to open up the updated forms, you can follow the above steps on your computer.
Let Experts Help You With Data Backup!
Hopefully, the above mentioned steps would have surely helped you backup company file in QuickBooks desktop. However, if you find the above steps a bit complex or want an expert to help you, then we suggest you reach out to our Quickbooks experts by giving us a call on QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Toll-free Number +1-(855)-955-1942.
Frequently Asked Questions
The possible reasons for you not being able to back up the QuickBooks desktop company file are: either you are doing your backup to an external hard drive or maybe because your company file name has more than 65 characters. You can also face issues if there is a problem with your data. In such case, you must use the Verify and Rebuild Data Tool.
Your QuickBooks scheduled backup is not working because your QuickBooks application might not be updated or compatible with your system. There might be some settings issue, or you might have disabled the Keep QuickBooks running for quick startups feature.
You can use the Express start method by creating a company file and clicking on the express start option. After that, you need to enter the required information in the QB setup and choose the Help me option to check a description for every business type. Then, you can also set the QB chart of accounts as per need. Lastly, complete the process by hitting on create company option. You can perform the steps to create a chart of accounts, customers, services, and others later by selecting the Start Working option.