Being one of the best and most used accounting software in the world- QuickBooks often faces some downtime. Mostly these are due to technical errors that happen for some or other reason. QuickBooks update error 12031 is one such error that people face many times when their QB faces difficulties while connecting to the internet. The issue not only causes issues while working on the QB Desktop application but also creates issues with other QB online services like payroll and banking. However, you may resolve the QuickBooks Desktop Update error 12031 by following the methods mentioned in the blog here. Just go through the blog carefully and understand the technical steps first.
What is QuickBooks Payroll Error Code 12031?
Like many other errors encountered while updating the QB application, QuickBooks update error 12031 comes under the category of the 120XX error series. It may appear while you update your QB desktop, refresh the payroll, or any New Feature, Maintenance Release, and Accountant. The QuickBooks service messages error 12031 that gets displayed on the screen says,
Error 12031: A network timeout that is preventing QuickBooks from accessing the server.
The other 12 series errors that you might face include the following:
- QuickBooks error 12002
- QuickBooks Error 12007
- QuickBooks Error 12057
- QuickBooks Error 12029
- QuickBooks error 12152
- QuickBooks Update Error 12031
- QuickBooks Error Code 12157
- QuickBooks error -12 0
- QuickBooks Error 12009
Major causes of QuickBooks Update Error 12031
Now, the next thing for you to know is the cause of this problem. So, most people get the pop-up of QuickBooks Error 12031 in these cases:
- If and when your desktop experiences low internet connectivity while you are updating the payroll on the software.
- When a third-party software or program hinders the connection-establishment process of your software and intuit’s servers.
- When the firewall in your device creates problems in the connection.
- Also, when you change the default web browser from Internet Explorer to something else.
- Also when you do not have the updated version of the software or Windows.
- And if the SSL settings are not right.
Quick Solution for QuickBooks Error 12031
Before you start troubleshooting the problem, it is very important that you rectify the reason. Once you have pinpointed it, then only you can pick any of the below-given solutions.
Solution 1: Deactivating the Third-Party Software
At times, due to high-security reasons, there are many third-party software like antivirus that doesn’t let the connection between the software on your device and the server get established. So, if that’s the reason, all you need to do is simply deactivate or uninstall the program until the problem of QuickBooks Error Code 12031 is fixed.
Solution 2: Configure the Right Setting on your Desktop
In this, you need to pick up a few small things and then configure them properly before re-launching your program.
- Firstly, check whether your default browser is Internet Explorer or not. If it is not then do make it the same for your device. That’s because QB automatically uses Internet Explorer as its browser to make the connection with the servers.
- Then check whether your Windows is up-to-date or not. If you are using an updated version of QB and an older version of Windows, this might create a compatibility issue and create QuickBooks Update Error 12031.
- If this problem persists, then check for the QB updates (if any) in the help menu of the software. If you don’t have the latest version, please download and install that.
- Many times, modifying the SSL setting in your device or downloading TLS 1.2 utility can also help in overcoming this problem.
Solution 3: Rename your Network Data File
- Open the QB folder on your device and look for the file with an extension “.nd”
- After spotting the file, just select and right-click on it.
- Click on the “rename the file” button and rename it.
- All you need to do is put “.old” at the end of the name.
- This will fix QuickBooks Error Code 12031 for good.
Solution 4: Reset Your QB Desktop Updates
The update error in QB can also be handled by resetting the QuickBooks Desktop updates. So, try following the given steps to reset the updates:
- Under the QB Desktop Help tab, click on the Update QuickBooks.
- Then, click on Reset Updates followed by Get Updates.
- Now, if you still encounter the QuickBooks update error 12031, then make sure that your system is connected to the internet.
Solution 5: Try to Get QuickBooks Update in Windows Safe Mode
The Windows safe mode only allows specific programs to run in the background. Hence, if any other application is interfering with the update process, then this mode can help you successfully install the updates. Therefore, follow the given steps:
- Hit the Windows + R keys and type msconfig.
- Now, hit the OK or the Enter button on the keyboard to open the Windows System Configuration Window.
- Then, navigate to the Boot tab, and from the options given there, unmark the Safe Boot option.
- Then, hit Apply and OK.
- Restart the system and let the system boot in the safe mode.
- And when the system gets started in Safe Mode, run the payroll update once more.
Experts Assistance to Fix QuickBooks Update Error 12031!
We are affirmative that you will be able to overcome this Payroll Update Error 12031 in QuickBooks with the above-given solutions. But if the problem persists, you can call QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Team at +1-(855)-955-1942. They will help and guide you through the problem. And if you are unable to diagnose the problem in the first place, they will help you with that too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Under the influence of error code 12031, you will not be able to update your QB desktop application or the payroll tax table. You can also check for the error message describing the error.
To enable TLS 1.2 in QuickBooks, go through the following steps:
1. First, go to QB Tool Hub, then look for the Installation Issues tab.
2. Here, you need to choose the QuickBooks TLS 1.2 Tool.
3. Then, agree to the EULA Agreement.
4. And after that, choose the Run option to enable TLS 1.2.