QuickBooks Error H505 is a common QuickBooks H series Error code that you can face when switching to multi-user mode. It can trouble you while you are working in the multi-user mode and can hamper your work productivity. Thus, you need to fix this as soon as you face it. For the same purpose, we have provided you with this blog. It will cover everything about the error code H505 in QuickBooks and also provide easy-to-follow troubleshooting steps.
Follow the complete article to learn more about QuickBooks Error H505.
What is QuickBooks Error Code H505?
QuickBooks H series errors are generally related to hosting setting problems. The users face QuickBooks Error Code H505 when in the multi-user mode; they try to access the company file or data which is located on the other computer. Sometimes, when technical glitches do not allow the connection between the user and the server, and thus the users may also face the error H505 in QuickBooks.
The error message for the QuickBooks Error Code H505 is displayed on the screen as,
|Error code H505:||The company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting.|
What are the reasons for QuickBooks Error Message H505?
The QuickBooks Error Message H505 appears on the screen because one or more of the user’s computers are configured to serve as the QuickBooks server. Normally a user’s computer can only function in the multi-user mode, While the computer that hosts the company file can only function as the server computer or can act as the host. So if this condition does not follow, you may face the QuickBooks Error code H505. The other reasons for the error H505 are as follows:
- The QB server is unreachable or down:
When the server you want to establish a connection with in order to access a company is unreachable or down, In such a scenario, you should check the server and ensure it is up and running before connecting again.
- If the multiple workstations are hosting multi-user connections:
When the multiple workstations in the network act as the server, the QuickBooks error code H505 can appear on the screen. This can happen when the Host Multi-User Access option is enabled on the other computers instead of the server one. To fix this, you will have to disable the option of hosting multi-user access on every workstation other than the server.
- When the Windows Defender Firewall blocks the connection:
When the Windows Firewall application on your device does not allow you to establish a connection with the server, the error H505 may appear on your screen. If you are stuck in the same case, then you have to allow QuickBooks to pass through the firewall manually. You can also set up a new rule to configure Windows Firewall such that it allows the use of specific ports for QuickBook.
- If the QuickBooks services are not running on the server:
The QB application uses some specific servers to facilitate the connections between itself and other workstations on the network. So if the services are not running smoothly in the background while you try to access the company file on the server, it can trigger the Error Code h505 in QuickBooks. Therefore, you should ensure that the services run smoothly in the background before proceeding ahead.
- If the Quickbooks Database server is not able to scan the QuickBooks files/folders:
The database server scans the QB file before connecting any workstation in the multi-user mode. So, if there is some issue and the QB database server is not able to scan the files, it will show the error code H505.
If your QuickBooks Database Manager is not working then you may see QuickBooks Error 100, know how to solve QuickBooks Error 100.
- If you have a damaged or missed Network data file.
The Network data file (with .ND extension) allows the Qb Desktop to access the company file in a network or the multi-user environment. Any corruption or damage in this .nd file can also lead to QuickBooks error code H505.
- If QuickBooks can not trace the IP address of the computers, it can reflect the QB error H505.
- If the DNS settings on your system are not configured accordingly, you can face the QB error code H505.
Check Also- How to Resolve Quickbooks Error OL-301
How to identify the QuickBooks Error Code H505?
The first and foremost indication of any error is its error message. If your application is struggling with the error, it will warn you with an error message. However, there are some common indicators that show the presence of any glitch or error in the system. You can identify the error with these signs and can troubleshoot it even before it becomes a major issue. The signs and indicators of QuickBooks Error Code H505 are as follows:
- When you face difficulty in accessing the multi-user mode, this is a sign of QB error H505.
- Your QuickBooks program starts to crash frequently.
- Even the system crashes again and again.
- The Windows on your system also becomes unresponsive and freezes periodically.
- You face an issue when trying to open the QB company file stored on the server.
- Error code H505 starts flashing on your computer screen.
What are the important steps to take before fixing the Error code H505?
There can be a scenario in which the QB installed on your device is creating the issue, and thus you are facing the QuickBooks h505 error. Thus check the below-given point once:
- Check if the QB Desktop application is installed on your system correctly.
- Also, check if the issue is that you have a full QuickBooks desktop version with database or license manager hosting only.
- It is also important to install the QB application on the server as, without it, you will not be able to use multi-user mode.
Once you have taken care of the above-mentioned points, you must ensure the below-given steps also. This will ensure that when you perform further steps to rectify the errors, you do not have to deal with any data damage or loss. These steps include:
- Making sure to back up your company file.
- Updating the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Initiating the QB Database Server Manager.
- Utilize the QuickBooks File Doctor tool.
- Configuring the firewall settings such that it does not obstruct the process.
What are the solutions to troubleshoot the QuickBooks Enterprise Error h505?
To troubleshoot the QuickBooks Enterprise Error h505, you need to verify and check your hosting services. The misconfigured hosting services generally cause you to face this issue. So, let’s look at the solutions that you can perform to fix the error H505 in QuickBooks permanently.
Solution 1: Create a New Company File Folder and enable its access.
Sometimes, the folder having the company file may cause you to face the error H505. In such cases, you can shift its location to another folder and fix the issue.
- To start with, go to the company file folder on your system that is hosting the company file.
- Then copy the company file from that folder.
- Now, you need to create a new folder and paste the company file into it.
- After that, click right on the new folder and go to its Properties.
- Then, look for the Advanced Sharing option under the Share tab.
- There, you need to checkmark the Share This Folder checkbox and click on the Permissions button.
- Now, you need to give access to the folder by clicking on the Full Control checkbox for Everyone in the Group option.
- After that, you need to click Apply and OK.
- Once again, click Apply, followed by Ok, and then try to open the company file from the workstation.
Solution 2: Verify services & hosting to fix the Error H505
Steps to Verify the Hosting
- Firstly, restart your QuickBooks desktop application on both servers.
- Then reopen the QB application on both the systems that are configured via multi-user mode.
- After that, hit the File menu option and then opt for the Utilities option.
- Then click on the Discontinue or Stop hosting multi-user access configuration.
- Subsequently, go to the Utilities tab on the other computer and then click on the Host multi-user access or turn on hosting.
Steps to Verify the QuickBooks Services
- Firstly, access the Run box by pressing the Win+ R keys.
- Then, type in the input Services.msc in the Windows search bar.
- Next, you need to scroll down and look for the QuickBooksDBXX service option in the services window.
- After that, you need to click twice on the QuickBooksDBXX service and make sure that the startup is set to Automatic.
- After that, you need to hit on the Recovery tab.
- Then, manually Restart your QuickBooksDBxx service. And in case it fails, repeat the same step.
- Then hit OK and save the changes.
- Now repeat the same process as mentioned above for the QBCFMonitorService also.
- Then proceed ahead and access QuickBooks in the multi-user mode on all of the affected systems.
- The last step involves you looking for the QuickBooksDBXX service. This service is a member of the administrator cluster and needs acceptable permissions.
- After the implementation of all the steps mentioned in the solution, relaunch the QuickBooks software.
Solution 3: Edit the Host File to fix the Error H505.
This method involves a two-step procedure- first, finding the IP address of both the server and workstation and then editing the host file.
Step First is to find the IP address and computer name of the Server and Workstation.
- In the beginning, press the Win + R keys in order to open the Run box.
- Then type in the Cmd and subsequently press on the Enter key to access the Command Prompt window.
- After that, type in the input ipconfig/all and hit Enter to run the command.
- Now, you need to search for the Host Name in the Windows IP Configuration section. You will find your server name on the right.
- Then, in the Next step, note down the Hostname and IP address somewhere. And repeat the same process for all the systems that have a multi-user setup.
Now, you need to head back to your workstation to test the server.
Note: These steps may be a bit technical for you, so we recommend you consult an expert for the same. Call +1-(855)-955-1942 to connect with a QuickBooks expert.
- So first, navigate to the Start menu of Windows from the workstation.
- Then, type in Run in the search and open the Run command by hitting the Enter key.
- Next, you have to type Ping [your server name] and hit the Enter key. (Do not include the brackets when you write your server name.)
- This step will send some data packets to the server, and if the server receives them all and there is no packet loss, this indicates there are no issues in the connection between the server and the workstation.
- Next, you need to follow the same procedure for all the workstations that are giving you the error code H505.
Step Second is to edit the Windows host file.
- First, shut down the QuickBooks application and then move to the Start menu.
- Then move to this PC option and then navigate to the address: C:\Windows\Systems32\Drivers\Etc or C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc.
- If you are not able to find the Windows folder in the system. Then you can follow the steps to see the hidden files and folders.
- After that, click right to the View tab and hit on the Open with option, and open the same with notepad.
- Then you have to simultaneously fill in the IP Address and system name. (Make sure to hit the Tab key instead of the Space bar to put the spaces between the characters.)
- Now the last step involves you to Save the changes and then Reopen the QuickBooks software in multi-user mode.
Solution 4: Configure Firewall Port Settings to fix Error H505
The error H505 can be fixed by configuring the firewall and security settings for the QuickBooks desktop.
- First, start by opening the Run dialog box with the help of the Win + R keys on the keyboard.
- Once the Run command prompts up on the screen, use it to access the Control panel. For this, you just need to type the word Command in the Run box and hit Enter key.
- Then, in the control panel, you have to choose the System and Security option.
- After that, open the Windows Firewall and Network Protection.
- Then, you need to hit the Advanced Settings option, then choose the Inbound rule. Afterward, create a new rule by hitting the New Rule option.
- Here, choose a port and then hit the Next button.
- After that, you need to double-check if you have chosen the Correct TCP Option.
- Then, enter the Port belonging to your QB Desktop’s year version.
- Once you have entered the year code in the respective field, hit on Next and restart QuickBooks Desktop to culminate the process.
Solution 5: Alter the system’s firewall settings and create exceptions
- Begin with the Windows key to head towards the Control panel.
- Then, click twice on the Control panel option and choose the Firewall settings.
- For the next step, opt for the Allow a program via the system’s firewall option.
- After you do that, select the Add program option, and include the QuickBooks 20xx to the exception list.
- Then, reboot the system and Save the changes.
Remember, the ports you need to add are according to the version of your QuickBooks software. These ports include
- QuickBooks Desktop 2015: 8019, 56725, 55363,55367
- QuickBooks Desktop 2016: 8019, 56726, 55368, 55372
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017: 8019, 56727, 55373, 55377
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378, 55382
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019: 8091, XXXX
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020: 8091, XXXX
The Final Note:
You can also make use of the QuickBooks database server manager on the server computer to fix this issue. For this, you just need to download and complete the installation process of the QuickBooks tools hub. After that, from the Network issues tab of the QuickBooks tools hub, you can run the QuickBooks database server manager. Though we have provided you with the best solutions to fix the QuickBooks Error H505, still, as this occurs due to network issues, there is a possibility that you might face it again. In such a case, you can contact our QuickBooks Support expert team at +1-(855)-955-1942.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can fix the QuickBooks Error H505 in multi-user mode by
1. Using the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
2. By Stopping the Host Mode on each of the User Computers.
3. By verifying the QuickBooks services.
4. Creating a new company file folder.
Yes, it is important to step hosting the multi-user mode on workstations because only the server computer can act as the host to connect the other computers. The server computer can host the company file on the server, and other computers have to access it from the server.
Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8 usually are more prone to QuickBooks error code H505. Therefore, we advise you to seek professional assistance to troubleshoot it at the earliest.