The accounting software QuickBooks is used by many small and mid-sized businesses all over the world. But it is prone to many errors that appear while downloading the application, updating it, or even performing any task on it like updating the payroll or downloading the transactions, etc. One such error is Quickbooks Error 15101, which falls under the category of the 15XXX series. It generally appears while running the payroll updates or downloading the latest tax table. However, if you are also facing Quickbooks Error 15101, then go through this blog. It will clear all your doubts regarding the symptoms, causes, and methods to resolve Quickbooks Error 15101.
What is the exact meaning of Quickbooks Error 15101?
Quickbooks Error 15101 is a part of the QuickBooks 15XXX error series. It is sometimes also referred to as the occurrence of connectivity failure. And gets triggered when the user tries to update of QuickBooks Desktop Application or QB Payroll update. What happens is that either QuickBooks is not able to connect to the internet or it is not able to access secured websites. And thus, the users face QuickBooks Error 15101.
What are the signs that you are facing Quickbooks Error 15101?
You can identify the QuickBooks Error 15101 when an error message saying the QuickBooks Error 15101 appears on your screen. However, there are many signs that can show the presence of QB Error 15101; these include-
- In case you face frequent window crashing while working on your system.
- Your application or payroll update gets hindered by an error message stating QuickBooks Error 15101.
- You face the error message every time you try to download a payroll update.
- Another major sign is that your QuickBooks software does not respond as before.
- Your system has got sluggish when it comes to responding to the inputs given by devices like the mouse or keyboard.
What are the reasons that instigate Quickbooks Error 15101 on your screen?
The most probable reason that instigates the Quickbooks Error 15101 is a missing or outdated digital signature certificate. However, other possible situations, like facing the internet connectivity issue, can also trigger QuickBooks Error 15101. Let’s have a look at some of the possible reasons that can trigger the error 15101 on your screen-
- All of the QuickBooks services do not get started on Windows.
- The digital signature certificate isn’t installed properly on your system or has got corrupted.
- The QBWebconnector.exe program doesn’t run properly on your system.
- QuickBooks is not using Internet Explorer as the default browser to retrieve internet connection settings.
- QuickBooks is obstructed by the Windows Firewall applications from connecting to the internet.
- Any other third-party application is interrupting some internal process of QuickBooks and causing error 15101.
What are the troubleshooting methods to resolve Quickbooks Error 15101?
Since there are multiple reasons for the appearance of QuickBooks Error 15101, thus the solutions should also be specific as per the reason. You need first to understand the reason that is causing you to face error 15101, then implement the solutions.
Troubleshooting Method 1: Installing the Digital Signature Certificate on your system
- First, start by downloading and installing the digital signature certificate on your system.
- Then, search for the QBW32.exe file. You will find it in the C:\Program File\Intuit\QuickBooks path.
- However, if you are a Windows 7 user, go to the Windows Search option directly.
- Then, click on the More Results option in the windows search option.
- On the next screen, you need to click the Computer icon.
- Then, in the search box, type QBW32.EXE to find the application.
- Now, click right on the QBW32.EXE and then go to the Properties tab.
- Then move over to the Digital Signature tab and select the Intuit Inc. option from the signature list.
- Next, click on the Details option and then View Certificate in the digital signature details window.
- Now, go to the Certificate Window and select the Install Certificate option.
- Then, click the Next button until you get the Finish option.
- After that, click on the Finish button and then restart your device.
- Now open your QB and try to download the update once again.
Troubleshooting Method 2: Run the QuickBooks Reboot.bat File to resolve Quickbooks Error 15101
- Quit the QB application and then click right on its desktop icon.
- Next, you need to choose the Properties option and the Open File Location option.
- Now, you need to locate the Reboot.bat file and click right on it.
- Next, you need to tap on the Run as Administrator option.
- It will display a command prompt window and will scroll down to the QuickBooks files.
- Ensure that you do not exit the command prompt window manually.
- Once the Reboot.bat file gets done repairing the QuickBooks services, the command prompt will automatically close.
- Lastly, open the QB application and run the payroll once again. If you still face the QB error 15101, move forward with the next troubleshooting steps.
Troubleshooting Method 3: Checking the Internet Explorer Settings to resolve Quickbooks Error 15101
- Start by pressing the Windows and R keys together on the keyboard.
- Then type the word INETCPL.CPL on the open box and then click OK.
- Next, select the General tab there and then choose the Temporary Internet Files and Website Files.
- Then you need to select the Delete option again.
- Now, move to the Connections tab and then select the LAN settings.
- Next, look for the Settings option and then press OK.
- Now, you need to go to the Advanced tab and scroll down to the Security section.
- Here, you need to check if TLS 1.2 option is checked and the TLS 1.0 and TLS1.1 options are unchecked.
Troubleshooting Method 4: Reinstalling the QuickBooks application to resolve Quickbooks Error 15101
1. You need to reboot your system and then press the F8 key on your keyboard.
2. Windows will then display the Safe Boot options on your screen.
3. You need to select the Safe Mode option using the navigation keys on your keyboard.
4. Next, hit the Enter key, and then Windows will boot in safe mode.
5. Now, press the Windows + R key and type the appwiz.cpl there.
6. Next, press the Enter key and then double-click on the QuickBooks desktop from the list of all installed programs.
7. Next, you need to follow the on-screen prompts to remove QuickBooks from Windows completely.
8. Now, download the QuickBooks set-up file from the official QuickBooks Product Download page.
9. Once the file gets completely downloaded, you need to double-click on it and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
10. Lastly, complete the product registration process and then update the QuickBooks payroll again.
Troubleshooting Method 5: Restart the QBConnector.exe Process to resolve Quickbooks Error 15101
- Use the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- There, in the Task Manager Window, search for the QBConnector.exe under the Processes tab.
- Next, you need to click right on it and then choose the End Process option.
- Lastly, you can restart the QuickBooks application to check if the problem is resolved.
Troubleshooting Method 6: Configuring the Firewall Settings to resolve Quickbooks Error 15101
- You need to start over by going to the Start menu.
- Then from there in order to open the Windows Firewall, you have to search Firewall in the search box.
- Next, move to the Advanced Options tab.
- Then, you need to click right on the Inbounds Rules option and then select a New Rule.
- Next, move on to the Program tab and then hit the Next button.
- Then, tap on the Browse option and then choose the This Program Path option.
- Now, look for the QB executable files and then tap on them.
- Click Next and then permit the connection, and hit Next again.
- Now, you need to confirm if all the profiles are marked and then press Next.
- Now, create a rule and name it. You can name it as QBFirewallException(name.exe).
- In the last, open QuickBooks and see that error 15101 is resolved.
The Final Note
Before adopting troubleshooting steps, verify that you are using a stable internet connection. An issue with the connectivity can lead to QuickBooks Error 15101 and cause you trouble. Also, make sure that you use the QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool to rectify errors. The QB Diagnostic Tool is associated with the QuickBooks Tool hub and is used to resolve common installation issues. However, you can contact our QuickBooks Support Experts.