QuickBooks requires certain components like Windows Installer to install & uninstall programs, and their updates on the Windows operating system. Slight damage in this can result in QuickBooks error code 15106 when the user tries to install the QuickBooks or update the payroll. However, the error 15106 mainly affects the update function and every time a user tries to perform an update of QuickBooks or payroll, they receive an error message:
“Error 15106: The update program cannot be opened.” OR “Error 15106: The update program is damaged”
Lack of administrative rights and firewall restrictions on the QuickBooks update service can also be the reason behind QuickBooks Payroll Update Error. There are numerous other reasons as well that evoke QuickBooks Payroll Error 15106. We have covered all such causes ahead in this blog.
Struggling with QuickBooks Error 15106 while updating payroll? Well, in that case, we would suggest you to get in touch with our support team by dialing our Toll-Free Number +1(855)-955-1942.
What Are The Causes Behind QuickBooks Error 15106?
Several reasons can result in QuickBooks Error Code 15106 while updating payroll or installing QuickBooks updates. Here, we have listed all such possible reasons.
- QuickBooks installation fails in installing all the additional components that you might need later to update the application and payroll.
- Installation of WebRoot antivirus application is another reason behind QuickBooks Error 15106. It detects QuickBooks installer as a potential threat and blocks its operations on Windows.
- QuickBooks Error Code 15106 occurs when the user account isn’t having the Windows administrative rights.
- The QuickBooks updates are hampered when Windows User Account Control settings are set to high.
- Third-party antivirus or anti-malware programs may also hamper the QuickBooks update process.
Here’s How You Can Resolve QuickBooks Update Error Code 15106
To continue updating QuickBooks Desktop, resolve the QuickBooks Error Code 15106 by following the below-mentioned troubleshooting steps.
Note: If you are having an active QuickBooks Desktop payroll subscription, then, make sure to download the QuickBooks payroll tax table updates after every step to keep your payroll data secure.
Step 1: Log in to Your Computer as an Administrator
- First, you have to Click on the Windows icon and Go to Control Panel.
- There, select User Accounts and Family Safety option and then Go to User Accounts.
- Further, you have to select Manage another account option to enter the admin password (when prompted).
- The account type would be specified right below the account name. If your account is already an administrator account then you can proceed with the next troubleshooting step to fix QuickBooks Error Code 15106. If not, then ask your IT administrator to assign administrative rights to your user.
- The account type would be located below the account name. If your account is already an admin account in that case, you can move ahead with the troubleshooting step listed below. If not, then get in touch with your IT admin in order to assign administrative rights to your user.
Step 2: Stop your Antivirus Application and Rename Folders
Important: If you haven’t installed an antivirus on your system, then, you can directly proceed to step 3 for resolving QuickBooks Error Code 15106.
- Open the Task Manager by simultaneously pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys.
- After that, go to the Processes tab and search for [ANTIVIRUS].exe For example: Spy Sweeper.exe.
Note: You must uninstall the antivirus application, If you come across an error while following the above steps.
- Then, click on End Task.
- Now, Rename the QuickBooks update folder. For that, you may follow the below-given steps:
- Open File Explorer by simultaneously pressing Windows + E keys.
- After that, follow the path: C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components. However, 64-bit users can follow the path: C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit\Quickbooks(year)\Components.
- Now, you have to Right-click on the downloadqbXX folder, then Go to Rename. (Here, XX stands for the year version of your QuickBooks). For Example: downloadqb18 for QuickBooks Desktop 2018.
- Then, add .old to the end of the file name. For Example: downloadqbxx.old.
- At last, update QuickBooks Desktop once again.
Step 3: Turn off User Account Control (UAC)
Windows User Account Control settings are required for keeping your operating system secure from external threats by restricting its actions. There are certain QuickBooks processes that are suspected as a threat to Windows security. Thus, the Windows UAC settings prevent it from performing any action that results in errors in QuickBooks. Disabling UAC temporarily allows QuickBooks to function properly, which in turn, can fix the QuickBooks error code 15106 as well.
Note: If you are using Windows 10, then directly search UAC from Cortana search. However, if you are on some other Windows operating system (Window 7 and 8), then you must follow the below-given steps:
- Open the Run Window by simultaneously pressing Windows + R keys on your keyboard.
- Type Control Panel in the text box and click on OK.
- Now, Go to User Accounts followed by User Accounts (Classic View).
- After that, click on the Change user account control settings option.
- Follow the below steps when the slider Window opens up: (A pop-up by UAC will appear on your screen; click on Yes to proceed.)
- Set to Never Notify and turn UAC OFF by clicking on OK.Whereas, set to Always Notify and click on OK to turn UAC ON.
- Again, click on YES when the prompt by UAC appears on your screen.
- At last, restart your system.
IMPORTANT: Well, it’s crucial to turn off UAC for resolving QuickBooks Desktop issues like QuickBooks Error Code 15106. But, don’t forget to turn it on to avoid any unwanted security risks on your computer.
Step 4: Perform a clean install in Selective Startup
- Simultaneously press Windows + R keys to open the Run command.
- Type msconfig in the text space, then select OK.
- Go to the General tab, there, you have to select Selective startup and Load system services.
- Now, click on the Services tab, to select Hide all Microsoft Services.
- After that, you must Go to Disable all.
- Further, Hide all Microsoft services checkbox should be unmarked.
- (From the list of services) Make sure to mark the Windows Installer checkbox. If it’s not, select the checkbox and click OK.
- Lastly, select Restart on the System Configuration window.
Find An Expert To Resolve Update Error Code 15106!
Following the above steps would have surely helped you rectify QuickBooks error code 15106. However, due to some reasons, the issue might persist in certain scenarios. If that’s the case, then, we would suggest you take the assistance of a certified professional. You may also reach us by placing a call on QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Helpline Number +1(855)-955-1942. Our experts are available round the clock to help you resolve any QuickBooks related query.