The multi-user mode of QuickBooks is an exciting feature that allows you to collaborate with your team effectively. This feature allows multiple users to work on the same company file simultaneously. However, the QuickBooks multi-user feature is prone to facing some technical glitches. Many users have reported facing QuickBooks Error H202 while switching to the multi-user mode.
Therefore, if you are one of the users encountering the QuickBooks Desktop Error H202, there is no need to worry. We have outlined the primary reasons and the efficient ways to troubleshoot the issues due to which QuickBooks can’t connect to the server hosting the company file. Go through the article until the end and eliminate error H202 in QuickBooks Desktop in no time.
What is QuickBooks Error H202?
QuickBooks is packed with user-friendly features that are meant for your convenience. However, this convenience will be impeded by QuickBooks error H202, which can occur due to several reasons. This error affects the multi-user mode in which the server system hosts the company file. When you enable this mode, several other computers connected to the server system will be able to access the file over a network. These computers are known as workstations. You must keep in mind that the server system should be the only one hosting the company file. However, if it does not happen and any of the workstations also host the file, it might give rise to the QuickBooks Error H202 (Multi-User Switching Problem).
Error code: H202: "This company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting."
Important: In case you are trying to update the QB company file in the multi-user mode, then you will bump into QuickBooks error H202. To rectify it, read How to Update QuickBooks Company File.
Root Causes Why QuickBooks Cannot Switch To Multi User Mode H202
QuickBooks Error H202 mainly appears on your screen when the QB Desktop on the system tries to establish a connection with the company file. But it fails to communicate with the server. Many reasons can cause this interruption in the connection, including.
- Major conflicts with the DNS server can also result in QuickBooks Error Code H202.
- When crucial internal QuickBooks services, like QBCFMonitor or QuickBooksDBXX, are not running on the server computer.
- The system’s network data file (.ND) has been corrupted or damaged.
- The Firewall or Internet Security settings are restricting the QB from accessing the server, causing the QuickBooks error H202.
- When one or more workstations connected to the server system are also hosting the QuickBooks company file, in this case, you will see the option Stop Hosting Multi-User Access highlighted on the workstations.
- When you have not added QB Desktop in the port exception of Windows Firewall.
- The IP address of the server system is not added in the QB Desktop installed on all the workstations and vice versa, which is why you might be getting Error H202 in QuickBooks.
- When the server system does not have Windows admin user rights and prevents QB application from operating on the system.
- If there is a connection failure between the workstations and the central server system. Then, you will not be able to access the files in multi-user mode.
- If you have more than one version of QB Desktop, you have not installed the QuickBooks Database Server Manager for each version.
- QuickBooks Error Message h202 will be seen if the server system is not included in the Windows host file.
Top 11 Efficacious Methods to Eliminate the QuickBooks Error H202 from the QB Program
The following are the techniques you must apply individually to eradicate the QuickBooks error code H202:
1st Method: Running the QuickBooks Database Server Manager on the System
First, proceed by downloading and installing the QuickBooks Tool Hub on the server system, and from there, use the QB Database Server Manager and fix QuickBooks error H202.
- For stater, press the Ctrl + J keys to go to the browser’s download list.
- Next, click on the downloaded QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- Move ahead and follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
- After installing, click on the desktop icon to open the tool.
- Next, you must run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager from the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- For that, double-click on the QuickBooks tools hub icon and proceed further.
- Now, choose the Network Issue tab and then click on the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- If the Database Server Manager shows the correct company file location, directly click on the Start Scan option. But if it does not show automatically, browse the company file folder and click the Start Scan option.
- After that, the QuickBooks database server manager will do its job and provide all the efficient permissions required to access all systems.
- For the next step, click the Close option after completing the repair process.
- After that, you would need to open the QuickBooks desktop on the system on which you are facing the QuickBooks Multi User Mode Not Working h202.
- Finally, go to the File tab and click on the Switch to the Multi-User mode.
2nd Method: Using QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
- First, download and install the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool from the official website of Intuit.
- After the successful installation, run the QuickBooks Tool Hub and choose the Company File issue from the menu.
- Next, select the company file from the drop-down menu. If you don’t see the file there, browse and locate it from the available list.
- Once you find the file, mark the box next to the Check your File option and Continue.
- Next, type the admin username and password in the box and click Next.
- If the size of your QB file is significant, the QB file doctor will take time to finish the scan. Once the scan finishes, open your QuickBooks Desktop application.
3rd Method: Verifying the Services on the Server Computer
The QB services must be running on the server computer. The following steps are to check QuickBooksDBXX. Then repeat the exact steps for QBCFMonitorService and rectify the QuickBooks Error H202 (Multi-User Switching Problem)
Note: For the Full Program option: If you are utilizing the full version of QuickBooks on the server computer, do enable the multi-user hosting.
- Open the Run window and then type services.msc in the text field.
- Once you have entered the input, click on the OK option.
- Open the Run window and then type services.msc
- Open the Run window and then type services.msc
- Next, choose the QuickBooksDBXX option.
- Also, make sure to check whether the Startup Type is set to Automatic or not. If it is not set to Automatic, then do it now.
- Next, check the Service Status options and verify that it shows Running.
- Next, head directly to the Recovery tab and select it.
- After that, go to the drop-down menu for the first, second, and subsequent failures and then choose the Restart the Services option for all these.
- Next, hit the Apply and then OK button to confirm changes.
- You need to perform the same steps as mentioned above for the QBCFMonitorService also.
- Lastly, access all of your workstations and make sure to enable the multi-user mode in all of them.
4th Method: Properly Setting Up the Permissions for Folders and Windows Access
The QuickBooks folder must have proper Windows permission if you want to open the folders in the multi-user mode. Each QuickBooks version has corresponding components that should be timely updated to let it smoothly function in the multi-user mode. Therefore, to share the company file, a suitable configuration is essential for the Windows access permissions and the folders. If it is misconfigured and you still try to share the company file, it might trigger the QuickBooks error H202.
Read these Important Steps Before Proceeding Further:
- You must ensure that precise permissions are given to the installation directories.
- In case you are employing the MS Windows Home edition, then the Security tab option is not given in the normal mode. So, you have to reboot the computer in Safe Mode in order to complete the steps:
- After rebooting the system, you should hit the F8 key and hold it until the Advanced Boot window is visible.
- As the Advanced Boot window displays, click the Safe Mode option and press Enter.
- The dependency of QBDataServiceUserXX relies on the QB Desktop version you are using. For instance, for QB Desktop 2019: QBDataServiceUser29 and for QB Desktop 2018: QBDataServiceUser28.
- If the multi-user mode is turned on in one or more workstations, it can inadvertently go into Alternate Hosting mode. Therefore, the workstation will take ownership of the QB company file and show the QuickBooks error H202. Due to this, the other user working on the same file cannot open it.
Step 1: Setting up the QB Folder Permissions
Initially, you need to verify the folder permissions. However, if you find any issue, you can change the permission accordingly to rectify this error.
Confirming the Folder Permissions
- Double-check the Permissions
- Firstly, click the Start Menu to verify the permissions are correctly set.
- Now, choose the File Explorer option.
- In the following File Explore window, look for the folder having the company file and right-click it.
- After righ-clicking the folder, choose the Properties option from the list.
- Then, under the Security tab, choose the Advanced option.
- Now, choose the option to Edit from the QBDataServiceUserXX.
- Proceed to choose the Allow option for the following settings:
- Traverse Folder/Execute File
- List Folder/Read Data
- Read Attributes
- Read Extended Attributes
- Create Files/Write Data
- Create Folders/Append Data
- Write Extended Attributes
- Read Permissions
- Write Attributes
What if settings are improperly set and provoking the QuickBooks error H202?
- Begin by right-clicking the folder and selecting the Properties option.
- Then, select Edit under the Security tab.
- Next, choose the Full Control option after selecting the QBDataServiceUserXX. Follow by choosing Allow.
- Lastly, click Apply and then select the OK option.
Modifying the Folder Permissions:
- Now, if you need to adjust the folder permissions, click the Windows key, and in the search field, type File Explorer.
- Then, search each folder listed below:
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v6.0
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v5
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v3
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions X.0 (X = version) or C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks 20XX (XX = year)
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\FAMXX (XX = year)
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Sample Company Files\QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions X.0 (X = version) or C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Sample Company Files\QuickBooks 20XX (XX = year)
- C:\Program Data\COMMON FILES\INTUIT
- C:\Program Data\COMMON FILES\INTUIT\QUICKBOOKS
However, do keep in mind that you may not have all the folders in the File Explorer. A few of the files are for different QB Desktop versions.
- After right-clicking the folder, select the Properties from the drop-down list.
- Then, in the Security tab, click the option stating Everyone.
- Note: If you cannot find the Everyone option in the Group or User Name checkbox. Then, choose Add and type Everyone, and follow by selecting OK.
- Lastly, choose Full Control and then Apply. Select OK.
Step 2: Setting Up the Windows OS Access Permissions
QuickBooks program should have a precise level of access for sharing or working on the company file over a network. If that is not the case, you might get the QuickBooks Desktop Error H202. So, do not make any mistakes in setting up the Windows permissions.
Steps for Windows OS 10 Users:
- Initially, you should click the Window Start menu on the desktop screen (Bottom Toolbar).
- Then, under the Control Panel, you will see the File Explorer option. If you do not, type File Explorer in the search box.
- Then, after searching for the folder and saving the company file, right-click on it.
- Next, choose Properties.
- Further, click the Sharing and then Share Add option.
- Proceed to choose the corresponding QBDataServiceUserXX for your QB Desktop version.
- Subsequently, for both Users, the permissions must be set to Full Control.
- At the end, click Share.
Steps for Windows OS Server 2012:
Install the File and Storage Services on the system before following the procedure. If it is already installed, start by:
- Opening the Start Menu from the desktop screen.
- Launch the Run command box by typing RUN in the search panel.
- Follow by typing the ServerManager in the Run command text box and choose OK.
- Now, select the File and Storage Services and then click the Shares option.
- Then, in the Task drop-down list, click the New Share option. You will see the list of File Share Profiles. If you want to understand the differences between the profiles, select each profile. Further, read the Description.
- Choose SMB Share – Quick.
The SBM share selection might vary as it is a default profile.
- Afterward, under the section to Share Location, click the Type a custom path option.
- Now, search for the appropriate folder you want to share.
- Next, click Select a folder, then Next.
5th Method: Manually Configuring the Windows Firewall
If even utilizing the QuickBooks File Doctor does not yield a positive result in fixing QuickBooks error H202, follow this method. The following are the steps for adding QuickBooks Desktop to the Firewall port exceptions.
Note: If you have more than one QB Desktop version on the system, follow these steps separately for every version.
- For stater, type Windows Firewall in the search panel of the Start menu.
- Now, a new window will open; choose the Advanced Settings option in the window.
- Then, by right-clicking on the Inbound Rules option, select the option to create a New Rule. Later, follow the same steps to create Outbound Rules.
- After that, in the local port field section, type in the specific ports for your QB Desktop version.
- For 2020 and later QB Desktop Version: 8019, XXXXX.
- For 2019 version: 8019, XXXXX.
- For 2018 version: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382.
- For 2017 version: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377.
Note: The 2019, 2020, and future versions of the QuickBooks Desktop application have dynamic ports. These are the firewall ports (not a range) assigned at the installation time that ensure QB gets exclusive use of a given port.
Getting the Dyanamic Port Number
- Now, after entering the port number, click Next.
- Then, choose Allow the Connection option and then Next.
- Further, double-check that all profiles are marked. Then, choose Next.
- Proceed and create a rule. You can give it a name like “QBPorts(year).”
- Lastly, select Finish.
Follow the steps to create outbound rules. Select Outbound Rules in the place of Inbound Rules.
After changing and correctly configuring the firewall permissions, open QB on workstations. Find out if QuickBooks cannot switch to multi user mode H202 error is eliminated. For that, click File and then select the option of switching to Multi-user Mode.
6th Method: Check the Network Connectivity on the Server System and workstation.
The network issue on your workstation or the server computer will interrupt your connection with the company file. Therefore, setting off the QuickBooks error message h202. So, to check that, follow the given steps:
1st Step: Turn on the Network Discovery on your Server system.
- Start by clicking the Windows Start Menu on your server computer and workstation.
- Now, type Network in the search bar and open the Network Sharing Center.
- Next, tap and choose the Change Advanced Sharing Settings option.
- Here, ensure that the Turn on Network Discovery option is chosen in the Network Discovery and File and Printer sections.
2nd Step: Get the Server Name from Your Server
- Again, open the Windows Start Menu on your server computer.
- Now, type the word Run in the search to open the Run command.
- Next, you must type CMD in the Run window and press Enter key.
- Next, type the text ipconfig/all into the CMD window and press the Enter key again.
- Now, you need to search for the Host Name in the Windows IP Configuration. You will find your server name written on the right.
- Once you get the server name, write it down or copy it to a Word document for easy access.
3rd Step: Verify the network connectivity on the workstation.
- Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run window on the workstation where you face the error h202 in QuickBooks.
- Next, type CMD in the box and then press OK.
- Next, you need to ping the server computer from your workstation.
- For that, simply type ping_server name and hit Enter. (The server name here is the one that you copied from the server computer in the previous step.)
- You can perform the above steps from all the workstations where you are facing the Error code h202 in QuickBooks.
- If you receive a very slow response or you lose a packet, then there is some issue with the network which needs to be repaired.
7th Method: Create and Give the Windows User Admin Rights
You must give the Windows user admin privileges to make positive changes in the QB Desktop software. You need to log in to the system as a user with admin rights when hosting the company file in multi-user mode. This helps you in making changes to the Windows host file, firewall, and folder permissions. Moreover, it is vital to furnish the QB Database Server Manager with admin privileges and, therefore, becomes a helping part in eliminating QuickBooks error H202.
Step 1: Adding the User with Admin Privileges
If you have not created a user, create one first and then give the user account admin rights.
Creating a Local User Account
- Initially, you must navigate to the Start menu and click the Settings icon.
- Now, from the Accounts option, choose Family & Other Users. In some versions, the option will be displayed as Other Users.
- Then, under the Add other user, choose the option to Add account.
- Then, proceed to select the text message for ‘I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.’
- Further, on the next page, click Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Next, create a password and user name, then click Next.
Changing the Local User to Admin Account
- Follow the same steps mentioned above till you click the Accounts option.
- Then, choose the account owner’s name from the Family & Other Users section.
- Further, click the option to Change Account Type.
Note: You will see the Local Account option below the owner’s name. However, if you mistakenly choose another account showing an email address or do not mention ‘Local Account,’ then you are providing admin rights to the MS account.
- After clicking the Change Account type option, proceed to click the Administrator option and then OK.
- Lastly, sign in to the system with the newly created admin account.
Step 2: Furnish the QB Programs with Admin Access
Giving the QB application the admin right to let it operate in the multi-user network is compulsory. Moreover, while installing the QB Database Server Manager, the application automatically makes a new Windows OS user. What you need to do is give the user admin-level privileges.
Note: These steps are not for you if your system’s Windows server is set up as a domain controller. You must contact an MS IT professional to add the Database Server Manager user as a Domain Admin.
If the above note does not apply to you, then follow this procedure and fix the issue due to which QuickBooks cannot switch to multi user mode H202:
- First, you must close the QuickBooks Desktop.
- Then, click on the Windows Start menu.
- Proceed to navigate to the Control Panel and click User Accounts.
- Now, browse to find the QBDataServiceUserXX for your QB Desktop version
- If you have QBDesktop 2020, look for QBDataServiceUser30.
- If you have the 2019 version, look for QBDataServiceUser29.
- Note: The number goes down for every version.
- Next, choose the Change the Account Type option and then choose the Administrator option.
- Then select Change Account Type and further click Apply.
- Lastly, open the QB software and find out if the QuickBooks Desktop Error H202 is resolved.
- The Database Server Manager now has admin permission to run on the network.
- Similarly, you should follow the above steps for every QuickBooks Database Server Manager version on the system.
8th Method: Modifying the Windows Host File
If you are constantly getting Error H202 in QuickBooks, then there might be issues in the Windows host file. The following are the steps to modify the host file.
Note: Make sure you are using the static IP addresses. If the computer is using dynamic addresses, this solution might not work for you.
Step 1: Note Down the System’s Name and IP Address
Prior to performing the below steps, as a user with admin rights, you must access the server system and workstations. Firstly, apply these steps on the server system and then the workstations to fix QuickBooks error H202.
- Initially, go to the server system and select the Start menu.
- Then, in the search panel, type Run and hit Enter.
- In the Run command box, type CMD and select the OK option.
- After that, type ipconfig /all while making sure there is a space after ipconfig. Then hit Enter.
- Then, the hostname and IP address (or IPv4) will be visible to you. Do note it down.
- Lastly, repeat all these steps on the workstations with the issue.
Step 2: Editing the Host File
Perform the following procedure on the server system and workstations where you are facing QuickBooks Error Message H202.
- Start by choosing the Window Start menu.
- Then, choose the Computer option.
- Now follow the path for either C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc or the C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc.
- Then, when you see the host file, double-click it and also open the Notepad.
- Proceed to type the IP address and then the computer name. use the Tab key to enter spaces.
- Make sure that the server system has the workstation’s IP and computer name.
- Similarly, all the workstations must have the server system’s IP and computer name.
Step 3: Saving the Changes to the Host File
In the last step, save the file after updating the IP addresses in Notepad for the server system and workstations.
- Begin by clicking the File menu and then selecting the Save option in the Notepad.
- Then, type in the name “hosts” with quotation marks for the file name.
- Now, choose Desktop and then Save.
- Proceed to right-click the file you saved and click the Copy option.
- In step 2, save the file and navigate to its location.
- You will find it in either C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc or the C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc.
- Further, after locating the host file, right-click on it and select the Rename option.
- Now, rename it to ‘host old’ and choose Continue.
- Lastly, hit Ctrl + V and further click Continue.
9th Method: Rectifying Multi-user Settings on Workstations
QuickBooks company files should only be hosted by the server computer. If you see QuickBooks error H202 on one or more workstations connected to the main server system, it means that the workstations are hosting the company file. Therefore, you must disable the option to Host Multi-User Access on the affected workstations.
Note: Follow the steps below before opening the company file
- Begin by launching the QuickBooks Desktop on the workstation where you are getting QuickBooks Desktop Error h202.
- You should not open the company file. Instead, choose the File tab option.
- Then, click on the Utilities option.
- Now, if you see the option to Host Multi-User Access, do not click on it. This workstation is not a problem, and you should check another workstation.
- However, if you see the option to Stop Hosting Multi-User Access, then select it.
- Repeat the same steps on every workstation showing QuickBooks Error H202.
Now, after resolving the issue on the workstations, move on to the server system that hosts the QuickBooks company file.
- From the File tab, click on the Utilities option.
- Then, from its drop-down, see if you have selected the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option. If yes, don’t make any changes.
- In case you have not, then select the option to Host Multi-User Access.
10th Method: Create a new folder for the QuickBooks file.
Copy your company file and paste it on the desktop. By doing so, you will get two scenarios:
First, if the file opens after pasting it into a new folder, it means the problem was with the previous location or folder. Second, if the file does not open, it means the file is corrupted or damaged, and therefore, you are getting Error H202 in QuickBooks.
The following are the steps you must apply:
- Start by opening the folder where the company file is saved.
- Then, by right-clicking the file, select the Copy option from the drop-down menu.
- Now, on the desktop screen, right-click and choose the option to Paste.
- You must paste the file into a new folder.
- After that, hold the Control key while launching the QB application. This action will launch the No Company Open window.
- Then, choose Open or restore an existing company.
- Further, double-click and open the company file you just saved on the desktop.
- Lastly, check if the QuickBooks error H202 is resolved.
11th Method: Renaming the .TLG and .ND File to resolve the Error H202.
- You need to start by first closing the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Then go to the company file folder on the server system.
- Look for the .tgl file associated with QuickBooks and click right on it.
- Choose the Rename option from the given options.
- To change the name, you simply need to put the prefix .old before the file name and then hit Enter.
- Do similar steps for the Network (.Nd) file and then close the folder.
- Once you have performed all these steps, open QuickBooks again; this will automatically create new .tlg and .nd files. These files would be free of any suspected issues.
- You need to open the QB company file by clicking the Alt key and then wait till the file opens.
All the above-presented troubleshooting methods are tried and tested. Therefore, they will surely help you in rectifying QuickBooks Error H202. Additionally, you can make an attempt to repair the QB Desktop in case there are any deeper issues with the application. However, if you feel more at ease having a professional by your side, we totally understand that. Contact us at the +1-(855)-955-1942 immediately to chat with our support team.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: The following are the signs of QuickBooks Error H202 (Multi-User Switching Problem). These signs will appear on the workstations, server system, or both.
1. QuickBooks Error Message h202 is constantly displaying on the desktop screen.
2. You cannot switch from single-user to multi-user mode.
3. QuickBooks Desktop application will frequently freeze while opening the application, company file, or working on any reports.
4. You cannot open the company file due to the damages.
Ans: Fixing QuickBooks Desktop Error h202 is a lengthy process, but implementing the right solutions early will help you eliminate it completely. The following are the five methods you can try:
1. Employing QuickBooks File Doctor and QB Database Server Manager from Tool Hub.
2. Including the QuickBooks application in the Windows Firewall port exceptions.
3. Inspecting the Network connections on the server system and Workstations.
4. Verifying if services like QuickbooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService are running on the server system.
5. Giving access to the QB folders and Windows permissions.
Ans: QuickBooks error h202 means that QuickBooks cannot properly communicate with the server system while you try to connect to the company file. Moreover, network connectivity issues and damaged company files are the most prominent reasons behind this error.
Ans: Every user has two options they can utilize to install the QDBSM on the computer. Do keep in mind that you must install QB Database Server Manager separately for every QB Desktop version on the system.
1. The Full Program option: Here, you can install the full version of QuickBooks Desktop Program and Database Server Manager on the server system
2. The Server Only option: You can only install Database Server Manager on the server system.