If you are a frequent QuickBooks user, you must know that the QBCFMonitorService is one of the most critical services of QB. This service is also referred to as QuickBooks Company File Monitoring Service. It is executed from the qbcfmonitorservice.exe file. However, while using the QuickBooks application, you can encounter the error message “QBCFMonitorService Not Starting or Crashing.” The error message generally appears when you try to run QuickBooks Database Server Manager to set up multi-user mode. However, upon checking the service status, you will find it running without issues.
You would need to apply multiple methods to fix this QBCFMonitorService not starting or crashing error. These methods are given in the next part of the blog, so keep reading.
Does your QBCFMonitorService keeps stopping? And you have no clues how to fix it. Then, connect with our experts to get it resolved. Call the toll-free number +1-(855)-955-1942.
What Does QBCFMonitorService Not Running On This Computer Mean?
QBCFMonitorService is a program executable file from the QuickBooks installation directory. This process helps QB to run in multi-user mode and allows the other systems to connect with the company file present on the server. And when the QB struggles to connect with the server and the company file, then QBCFMonitorService Not Starting or Crashing gets triggered.
What Reasons Trigger QBCFMonitorService Service Terminated Unexpectedly Error?
Restrictions caused by the Windows Defender or any other firewall applications can disrupt QuickBooks connection to the company file. And thus, you get the error message QBCFMonitorService Not Running On This Computer on the screen. Some other reasons for the same are given below:
- Your QuickBooks is specifically set up for single-user mode and is currently not set to use the company file in the multi-user environment.
- QBCFMonitorService has abruptly terminated the server that is hosting the company file.
- You might have accidentally deleted the QB Database Manager Service file from the server, and now it is too late to restore it.
- Having an outdated QBDBMgrN on the system can also lead to QBCFMonitorService keeps stopping error.
- QBCFMonitorService.exe file has got corrupted with malware or virus.
- The issue with the Windows Registry can also be a reason behind this error.
Ways to Resolve QBCFMonitorService Not Starting or Crashing
There are several ways to fix this QBCFMonitorService Not Running error. However, in case the QBCFMonitorService.exe application says, “The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception,” then you need to Install the Latest updates for the QuickBooks Desktop application. The other ways to fix the error are as follows:
Way 1: End and then Restart the QBCFMonitorService Manually
- Press the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys on the keyboard together and open the Task Manager. window
- Then, directly move ahead to the Processes tab.
- Now, click right on the QBCFMonitorService.exe process.
- And then, select the End Task option from the given list.
- After this, click Yes to confirm the action.
- Now, open the QB application again.
Way 2: Check the Hosting Settings on Server
You may face issues while accessing the file you have saved on the server if the hosting settings on it are disabled. So, you need to check the hosting settings on the server and reconfigure it with the instructions given below:
- Open the QB Desktop application and click File.
- Then, get your mouse to the Utilities tab and click on it.
- Then, select the option saying Host Multi-User Access.
- After this, click on the Yes tab when you get the confirmation box on the screen.
- Here, you need to make sure that the hosting service is activated on the server only.
- And also, ensure that no other workstation has Multi-user Hosting running on it.
- After that, to verify this, open the QB application and go to the File tab again.
- Here, if you get the option saying Switch to Single-User mode, this means that your QB is running in the multi-user mode. So you have to click on Switch to Single-User mode.
- But, if you see the Switch to multi-user mode option there, do not make any changes to the settings.
Way 3: Update Your Firewall Settings
You need to make certain changes to your firewall settings so that it does not block your access to the server and the company file.
- For this, you need to first update the Firewall software on your system.
- Then, to configure the Firewall settings for QB, add QuickBooks to its exception list. This will prevent it from scanning the QB folders.
- Now, check if the ports that QB uses to communicate with the server are blocked.
- If the ports are blocked, then you need to configure them to open the necessary ports manually. It will help QuickBooks to re-establish communication with the server.
Way 4: Ping Your Server After Configuring Windows Firewall Settings
Here, you need to make sure that your server computer and workstations are able to communicate with each other. For this, you need to ping your server system from each workstation and check if you are able to receive the response:
- For this, access your server system and open the command prompt by entering the CMD command on the Run box.
- Then, you need to type in the command IPConfig and hit Enter. It will give you the IP address of your server computer.
- Then, you have to go to the workstation that is having the QBCFMonitorService failed to start error and open the command prompt window on it.
- Now, you need to type the word Ping and follow it up with the IP address of the server, and hit Enter. Follow up by checking the connectivity.
- After this, you need to execute the command, and soon after that, your workstation will send four data packets to the server. Check if your server receives all of them.
- If your server receives all the data packets, then it will send you back the status.
- In case the status indicates packet loss, then there might be some issue in the network configuration that you need to address immediately.
If you are not aware of configuring the network settings on your system, then we recommend you to connect with our experts from Data Service Solution for quick help.
Way 5: Install the Latest Updates for QuickBooks Database Manager Server
- For this, first, check out which version of QB Database Manager you are currently using.
- Then, go to the Help menu on the QB Desktop.
- And click on the options saying Update QuickBooks.
- Then, click the option for Update Now and check all the QuickBooks releases and features given there.
- Now, click on the Get Updates option and install the available updates.
- You can also click on the Reset Updates option given there to reset all the previous updates.
- And once the updates get complete, restart your QB Desktop application on the server system as well as workstations.
Way 6: Set Up the QuickBooks Database Manager Service Again
You need to set the QBDBMgrN to run automatically whenever you start the system. In case QBDBMgrN is not set up to run automatically, it will stop running every time you start your Windows. So, you need to reconfigure your database server manager service with the instructions given below and resolve the error.
- First, press the Windows and R keys to launch the Run menu.
- Then, type the word Services.msc in the space given.
- Then, click OK to proceed ahead.
- Now, in the list of services, find the service named QuickBooks DBXX.
- If the service is marked as Stopped, then click right on it and go to its Properties section.
- After that, scroll down to the General tab.
- Here, change the Startup Type from Manual to Automatic.
- Then, go to the Log on tab and change it to the Local System Account from the This Account option.
- Then, visit the Recovery tab.
- Now, from the drop-down menu, click Restart the Service for the first failure, second failure, and subsequent failure.
- Then, hit Apply and OK.
To Sum Up!!
We have tried to sum up all the methods you can use to fix the QBCFMonitorService Not Starting or Crashing error. Hopefully, you will be able to resolve it easily. However, if QB still displays the error while accessing the company file, you need to completely reinstall the QB Desktop using the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool. Later, if you still get stuck, then we recommend you connect with our QuickBooks experts for help. Call Data Service Solutions at the toll-free number +1-(855)-955-1942 now.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: You may face QBCFMonitorService not starting or crashing if Windows or the firewall on your system interrupts the execution of the qbcfmonitorservice.exe file.
Ans: Yes, it is important to back up the QuickBooks desktop company file before fixing any error in QuickBooks, including QBCFMonitorService Not Running. It helps to prevent any unexpected data loss during the troubleshooting process.
Ans: To restore your data back from the backup, do the following:
1. In QB, go to the File menu and choose Open or Restore Company.
2. Then, choose the option saying Restore a backup copy, then Next.
3. Now, click on Local Backup and then on Next.
4. Then, browse your system for your backup file. It will look like your company name.qbb.
5. Now, go to the folder where you want to save the restored file.
6. Then hit Open, and once done, hit Save to restore the file.