Are you getting QuickBooks error 6000 77 on your screen? Error 6000 77 occurs when a user tries to open or access a company file but can not do so for certain reasons. Various reasons can cause this error and we will discuss them in this blog. You will also find the easiest and most practical solutions to fix QuickBooks Error Code 6000, 77 in the later section.
What Is QuickBooks Error 6000 77?
QuickBooks error 6000 77 comes under the 6000 series error codes. Due to this error, users can not access or back up the company file. The causes of this may vary. But it usually occurs when the company file you are trying to access is either damaged or stored at the wrong location. When QuickBooks Error -6000 -77 surfaces, it leaves a message on your computer screen stating-
"We're sorry. QuickBooks encountered a problem. Error codes: (-6000, -77).”
If this popup appears on your screen, you need to resolve this error immediately.
Possible causes for the Occurrence Of QuickBooks Error 6000 77
There are several possible leading causes for this error code. Look below to know why this error code arises:
- QuickBooks error code 6000 77 can occur if the QuickBooks user is not an Admin.
- You are attempting to open a company file that is on an external disc.
- QuickBooks is unable to connect to the server due to firewall or internet security settings.
- Due to damage or corruption in.TLG or ND files.
- Using a mapped drive as a reference to open the Company file in QuickBooks.
- Ineffective QuickBooks multi-user mode or communication issues.
Signs Of QuickBooks Error 6000 77
As QuickBooks is technical, it is prone to errors. It sometimes gets hard to recognize which error is disturbing your workflow. So to identify QuickBooks error 6000 77, there are some common indicators you can look for. These could be the following-
- While attempting to access the company file, the QB Error -6000, -77 message will appear on your computer.
- Along with the error code, you will deal with other firewall problems.
- The company file is not accessible in QuickBooks Desktop.
Steps To Rectify QuickBooks Error 6000 77
Below, we’ve included verified solutions for the 6000-77 error code. Try the following solutions and get rid of this error-
Solution 1: You must Run QuickBooks File Doctor
- Download & install the latest version of the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Install it and correctly set it up on your device.
- Navigate to the “Company File Issue” section.
- You can choose to “Run QuickBooks File Doctor” from that menu.
- Select this option, then adhere to the prompts on the screen.
- Run the file doctor program once it has been fully installed to identify the problem with the corporate file.
Solution 2: Give.ND and.TLG file New Names
The name of.TLG and.ND file extensions should be changed. The configuration files used by these extensions make it possible for QuickBooks Desktop to access company files on your network or in multi-user mode. For example, when opening QuickBooks Desktop, .ND or.TLG files may result in problems. Renaming these files does not result in data loss and can solve the error.
- Go to your system and choose the company file folder. Intuition, QuickBooks, and Company Files are all located in the default location of C:\ Users\ Public\ Public Documents.
- Find files with the name of your company file but with an extension.ND and.TLG, for instance: company_file.qbw.nd and company file.qbw.tlg
- After that, select Rename by right-clicking on the. nd /.tlg file.
- Press the Enter key after adding the term “.old” to the end of the file extension. (Company file.qbw.nd.OLD, Company file.qbw.tlg.old)
Solution 3: Recover the Damaged Folder
To recover a damaged folder, follow these steps to identify the problem. Recover the damaged folder by following the instructions-
- Make a new folder initially on your C: disc.
- Then access the folder containing the company’s files.
- Discover the.qbw file. Now, right-click on the found file and choose the “Copy” option (for example, company file.qbw).
- Paste the copied file into the newly created folder.
- Windows access rights can be adjusted to allow sharing of the corporate files.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop, and then open the file from the new location.
Solution 4: Configure Firewall Security
Your Firewall or Internet security program’s stringent settings may stop QuickBooks from contacting the server. Therefore, you must change your settings to prevent the Firewall from being restricted by QuickBooks. Carefully follow the directions provided below:
- First, open the Start menu by tapping the Windows icon from the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Then type the word Windows Firewall in the search box and hit the Search button.
- From the given window, choose the Advanced Settings option from the menu on the left.
- Then you need to go to the Inbound Rules option and click a right on it, followed by choosing the New Rule option.
- Then, here, press the Program button and click on Next.
- After that, press the This Program Path button and hit on Next again.
- There, you need to pick an option from many, i.e., QB.exe files, and then tap on the Next button.
- Then move forward, click on the Allow the Connection option, and hit Next.
- Then check if all the profiles that are listed on the screen are marked.
- After that, press the Next button and create a rule named as QBFirewallException(name.exe).
- Then repeat the same process and create a new Outbound Rule.
- Lastly, Reboot the computer after making all these changes and then check the QuickBooks application to see if the QuickBooks error code 6000 77 still persists.
Facing QuickBooks Error 213? Read solutions to fix QuickBooks Error 213.
Solution 5: Instead of the Mapped Drive, Use UNC Path
Users should use UNC Path to resolve QuickBooks Error -6000 -77 instead of using Mapped Drive:
- Hold down the Ctrl key to stop the company file from opening when you right-click the QuickBooks icon.
- Holding down the Ctrl key, select Run as administrator. Once you see the no company open window, let go of the Ctrl key.
- Select “Open or restore company” from the menu.
- Click the open button after choosing your company file from the list of options.
Solution 6: Take a Look at the Hosting Settings
If you use the business file with many users, check your hosting settings to ensure access is enabled.
Follow the instructions to revoke access if you are not utilizing the corporate file with numerous users.
- Open QuickBooks and select the file.
- It’s okay if the “Stop Multi-user Access” switch is switched on. And if it’s not then in that case, stop allowing access.
Solution 7: Eliminate any blank spaces in the filename to correct the name format.
The incorrect filename format can cause you to face many error codes in QuickBooks, including the QuickBooks Error 6000 77. The company file name should not have any blank spaces or any special characters.
- For the first step, close the QuickBooks application and log out of QuickBooks on all the systems.
- Then, in the next step, go to the QuickBooks company file and open it.
- After that, click right on the company file and opt for the Rename option.
- Next, opt for the name of the company file and hit Enter. Remember, there should not be any extra space between the letters or any special characters in the name.
- Then open the company file that you created now.
Solution 8: Close all QuickBooks background processes
- For this process, first, login as the Administrator on your server computer.
- Then press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc together to bring up the task manager.
- To see the processes for all the users, select the Users tab.
- After that, you need to highlight all the Quickbooks processes, including QBW32.EXE, qbupdate.exe, and QBDBMgr.exe and then choose the End Task option.
- Then open the company file in the multi-user mode and check if the QuickBooks desktop error 6000 77 still bothers you.
Solution 9: Do an SFC Scan
SFC, System File Checker, is an in-built tool that can repair corrupted files. You can utilize this to resolve the QuickBooks error 6000 77.
- Open the command prompt window with the help of the Windows + R keys together. Then you have to type cmd and enter in the run window; it will open the command prompt.
- After that, when the window pops up, type the word SFC/scan.
- Wait till the scan gets completed. This process takes about five to ten minutes to complete.
Once the scan is finished, you should access the company file and check if it is still corrupted.
Call Experts To Resolve QuickBooks Error 6000 77!
The solutions mentioned above are the standard solutions to fix this error. First, restart the system and QuickBooks, then try to re-access the file. Hopefully, you can resolve QuickBooks Error 6000 77 by yourself with the help of this post. If you need professional assistance or have queries, contact us and talk to QuickBooks Data Service Solutions team at +1-(855)-955-1942.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can fix the QuickBooks error 6000 77 in QuickBooks through the following methods:
1. By using the QuickBooks Tools hub features.
2. Providing the required permissions to the QuickBooks company file.
3. Correct the name format of the QB company file.
4. Changing the hosting settings.
The QuickBooks error 6000 77 occurs while trying to access a company file. It displays an error message indicating the error code 6000 77 when it appears.
The QuickBooks company file should not be more than 64 characters and should only have alphanumeric characters. No space or special characters should be used in the company file name.