QuickBooks is a renowned wealth and financial management software widely used globally. A great number of business owners, accountants, entrepreneurs, and individuals use this majestic software to fulfill their diversified day-to-day tasks. If you are one of them, you must be familiar with its immense benefits along with some inevitable errors. Among those errors, error code 80070057 in QuickBooks desktop is an important one to resolve.
Run-time errors like QuickBooks Error Code 80070057 emerge when you try to open a company file. This error is primarily related to network connectivity problems with the QB Company file on a different computer. Though it’s easy to resolve, it may agitate you. In this blog post, you will learn effective ways to fix this error as quickly as possible. Further, you will also get to know what the root causes of this error are. And lastly, you will also get familiar with the situations where it usually appears. Stick to this post till the end to discover the proven hacks to troubleshoot this error.
QuickBooks Error Code 80070057: A Brief Introduction
Let’s first learn what error code 80070057 means in QuickBooks before you unveil the quick hacks to fix it. It is a unique error code that appears on the screen when you open up the company file. Generally, it does not appear when you try to open or access the file but appears after the file is completely opened. The error is associated with communication issues with the company file over the same network on different systems. (whether it is server or host).
It means you don’t have the necessary rights to remove or eliminate the QB files in the given folder. Having the authority to create/delete QuickBooks Company files stored in a specific folder ensures you can access the QB application in multi-user mode.
The error message for the QuickBooks Sharing Between Computers Error Code 80070057 says that the “Error: 80070057 the parameter is incorrect or You do not have sufficient permissions.”
Reasons for the occurrence of QuickBooks Desktop Error Code 80070057
As the error message says that the main reason behind the error code 80070057 is the incorrect parameters and permissions while accessing the company file, the other reasons may also include the following:
- Damaged Network Data file: the Network Data file or the .ND files are the configuration files that store the relevant information and details about the QuickBooks company file accessibility in the multi-user mode. This file enables the application to identify the database server that it needs to utilize. This error 80070057 happens when the user tries to move or delete the .ND file on the host server machine, and the file turns unreachable to QuickBooks.
- Improper Firewall and Internet Security Software Settings: Sometimes, when the system security applications and Firewall are not properly configured, you may face the QuickBooks Desktop Error Code 80070057. These settings create problems in the communication path between the QuickBooks application and the Database server and thus result in the error.
- The Error code 80070057 may also appear if the user tries to directly access or open the company file via a shared folder. This generally happens because only the host system has permission to access the company file, and if the others do, the error pops up.
- Sometimes, the anti-virus application installed on the system may also block the uncommon ports when they have traffic, thinking of them as a threat to security. This action by the anti-virus applications can also result in the error 80070057.
- When the QB Desktop is not able to read the company file because of the changed company file extension, the error may appear.
- You may also face an error if the QB installation is damaged or corrupted.
- When you have an incorrect QB extension for Windows file extensions like .qbm, .qbb, .qbx, etc., you may face the Error Code 80070057 in QuickBooks Desktop.
- If you are trying to access a portable QB company file before opening the QB software, the error 80070057 may pop up.
Symptoms that Indicate QuickBooks Error 80070057
Before applying any troubleshooting method for QuickBooks Error 80070057, you need to be sure about the error by considering the below symptoms:
- Your system might freeze while launching the company file.
- Error code with a message saying “Parameter is incorrect” appears on your screen.
- QuickBooks starts crashing every time you try to launch the company file.
- You can not delete your QuickBooks company files.
- Your device starts to give sluggish performances.
- Your company files face sudden collapse when the error appears.
Methods to implement while Troubleshooting the QuickBooks Desktop Error Code 80070057
Since the error says that the parameter is not correct, to troubleshoot the QuickBooks error 80070057, you need to set them right. You can do this by configuring the settings and removing the corrupted files. Let us go through the troubleshooting steps one by one:
Method 1: Try to Open the Company File Correctly to resolve the Error
Most of the time, this 80070057 error code appears on the screen because the user has not opened or accessed the QB company files correctly. So, follow the below-mentioned steps to open your company file.
Steps to Open the File in Single-User Mode:
This involves simple steps to proceed with:
- First, go to QuickBooks Desktop and then choose your company file.
- Then click on the Open button to access it.
Steps to Open the File in Multi-user Mode:
Working on a QuickBooks desktop from a different computer other than the server is feasible. It is known as accessing QB desktop remotely. All you need to do is map the Server or host the computer as a network drive. Before computers can access the company files, you need to set them up for multi-user mode. Lastly, you need to set the folder where the company file is located.
On your remote computer, install the QB Database Server Manager utility to configure the server
On your remote computer, install the QB Database Server Manager utility to configure the server
The QB database server manager is a utility that enables you to configure the QB server for multi-user mode. So, it’s an important task as far as using QB desktop on multiple workstations is concerned. You must follow the quick steps mentioned below to accomplish it.
- Consider downloading and Installing QuickBooks Desktop on your main computer.
- Go to the QuickBooks File menu and opt for Switch to Multi-user Mode.
- Tap on the Yes button in the Multi-user hosting setup required window.
Note: QuickBooks, by default, installs and runs QBDBMgrN.exe as a background service. This service must run on the computer that stores the company file even if QuickBooks Desktop is not active.
- Choose OK on the Multi-user setup information window.
- Go to Company and then add the necessary users. Then, select Users, Set up Users and Roles, and lastly, select New.
Steps to Begin with for Using QB Desktop in a Multi-user Mode
- You must first open the QuickBooks Desktop on your workstation and then go to the File menu.
- Then click on the Open or Restore Company options and then tap on the Open a company file option.
- After that, you need to hit the Next tab and navigate to the company file location.
- Then, you need to choose the desired company file from the list and then click Open.
- Lastly, you need to verify the QB credentials if prompted.
Method 2: Move the company file to its default location
Sometimes, if you have saved the company file to another location on your system other than the original one, you may face this error. So, you just move it to its original location; follow the given steps for doing it.
- To start with, you first have to close the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Then browse to the location of the company file on the system.
- After that, you need to click right on the required company file and then select the Copy option form there.
- Then, you need to browse to the Default location and then choose the Paste option after clicking right there. The default location would be C:/Users/Public/PublicDocuments/Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files.
- Once done, you need to open the QuickBooks application again and select the Find a company file option.
- Then you need to select the local drivers and then look for the company file name.
- Lastly, you have to choose the correct company files and then click to open them.
Method 3: Update QuickBooks desktop to the latest release to resolve the QuickBooks Error 80070057.
One common solution to rectify any QB error is to update the application. So follow the given steps to download and install the latest software update.
- Start by navigating to the Help menu of the application.
- Then click on the Update QuickBooks desktop option.
- Next, you need to click the Update Now button.
- Then you can also choose the Reset updates button next to the Get updates button to reset the previous update downloads.
- After that, you can press the Get updates button and hit the Start QuickBooks again option.
- Finally, check if the error gets resolved once the system gets restarted.
Method 4: Download and use the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool to Resolve Error 80070057.
- For this step, you need first to close your QB desktop.
- Then download the QuickBooks Tool Hub file and save it to the system.
- Next, you need to click twice on the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file and open it.
- Also, you need to follow the on-screen instructions to install and agree with the terms and conditions to run the application.
- Next, click twice on the Icon and open the QB Tools Hub.
- After that, you need to move to the Company file issues tab.
- Then, run the QuickBooks File Doctor. ( It may take up to 1-2 minutes to open the application.)
- Now, you need to choose the Company File from the given list.
- If you cannot locate the file, you need to choose the Browse and Search buttons and find the company file.
- Then, you need to choose the Check your File option and then move to the Continue option.
- After that, you must provide the QuickBooks Admin Password and hit the Next button.
- Then, for the concluding step, you need to open the QB application, access the company file and check if the QuickBooks error code 80070057 got resolved.
Method 5: Verify the company file name extension and resolve the error 80070057.
If the steps mentioned above failed to address your issue regarding error 80070057, you need to verify the company file extension.
Step 1: Check the file extensions
- First, click right on the Company File and then move to its Properties tab.
- There, you need to choose the QuickBooks tab.
- Lastly, you need to hit the OK button to end the process.
Step 2: Change the extensions
- To change the extensions, you have to first Create a new folder.
- Then, Copy the company file and paste it into the new folder.
- After that, click right on the New Folder that you created and opt for the Rename option.
- Once done with it, you can change the QB file extension to .qbm.
- Then, you can click anywhere on the screen to Save the changes you just made.
- Now, you have to restore the portable files after opening the QuickBooks desktop.
- In case you still face any issues, you would need to Rename the extension back to the .qbb.
- Then, open QuickBooks followed by choosing the restore the backup option.
- Afterward, again, Rename the extension to .qbx, if the file still does not open.
Step 3: Copy the company file and then paste it to another folder on the flash drive.
- For the initial step, you need to press the Ctrl+ E key and open Windows Explorer.
- Simultaneously, you need to open the QB application.
- After that, you must proceed to the File icon, right-click, and select the New Folder icon.
- Then Copy the company file. QBW from your flash drive and paste it to the new folder.
- Then, finally, open the application and access the new folder.
Method 6: Run QuickBooks Desktop as a system administrator.
You can also run the QuickBooks application as a system administrator to resolve the QuickBooks error message 80070057 up to a certain extent. The steps that you need to follow are as follows:
- First, close QuickBooks Desktop and right-click on its icon.
- Then choose the Run as administrator option.
- Then, after following the steps mentioned above, if your company file does not open on its own, you need to hit the company file and choose the Open option.
Method 7: Configure the Firewall Settings to resolve the QuickBooks error 80070057.
You know, sometimes the firewall creates hindrances to the communication path of QuickBooks, which can thus create several issues. So you need to configure its settings such that it does not block the QB files and allows smooth communication for it.
- First, you need to move to the Firewall settings and then add exceptions.
- Secondly, you have to modify the settings related to Firewall. And for that, you follow the online prompts that appear on the screen.
- After that, you can easily send and receive data.
- Lastly, uninstall and reinstall the antivirus application and check for the issue.
Method 8: Configuring the Bitdefender to resolve QuickBooks Error Code 80070057.
If you use BitDefender as an antivirus application on your system, you need to configure its settings also. So, perform the given steps to do so:
- To begin the process, go to the BitDefender 10.0 menu and then navigate to the antivirus program.
- Then head to the Custom level option and select the Exclude path from the scan option.
- Next, you need to choose the option to Create a new item.
- Then, end the process by choosing the Mapped drive or UNC location employed to browse the company file.
Method 9: Manually resolve the QuickBooks Company File Error Code 80070057.
If you have still not successfully resolved the QuickBooks Company File Error Code 80070057 from any of the above methods, then you can follow the given steps to manually resolve the error. The steps involve
Step 1: Change the name of Network Data files
- First, browse to the location of the company file and locate the .ND file. ( The name of the file would be something like MyCompanyFileName.qbw.nd.)
- Then click right on the .ND file and opt for the Rename option from the list.
- After that, you need to type in .OLD at the end of the file name.
If you are using the QuickBooks application in multi-user mode, then proceed ahead with the below-mentioned steps.
Step 2: Run the QuickBooks database server manager on the server.
- Download the QuickBooks Tool hub and select the Network issues therein.
- Then, go to the QuickBooks database server manager. (Here, if you have not installed QuickBooks on the server computer, you will be prompted to install it right away.)
- Subsequently, it will also display your company file; you need to choose the Start scan option in the QuickBooks database server manager.
- In case it does not show, you have to tap on the Browse buttons, locate your company file, and then tap the Start scan tab.
- Then, you can conclude the process by choosing the Close option.
Step 3: Consider Repairing Your Company File Manually by Rebuilding Your Data
If you’re confident about fixing the errors manually, you can fix them from the Verify Results window. Before you begin, ensure to back up your company file.
Learn how to fix QuickBooks company file error code 80070057 manually:
- Go to the File menu. Then, hover over Utilities and choose Verify Data.
- Then, the tool will check the file for data issues.
- A Verify Results screen appears before you; choose Expand All to see the errors.
- Choose See Online Article.
Method 10: Consider Running “Verify and Rebuild Data Utility”
Data integrity issues are mostly accountable for provoking many run-time errors in QuickBooks desktop. Running the Verify and Rebuild Data utility helps you fix this error majestically. It is effective because it scans your company file thoroughly and resolves the issues immediately, if there are any. Follow the steps precisely to initiate the scanning of your company file.
- Select the Windows option, then select Close All.
- Go to the File menu, then hit on the Utilities option.
- Hit on the Verify Data option.
Following these steps will ensure whether there is anything wrong with your company file. If the utility doesn’t find any error or complication in your company file, you don’t require any further action. However, if any error is spotted in the company file, it means your data has already lost its integrity.
In this case, you need to take prompt action to fix this error. There is a set of steps mentioned below to help you fix the data integrity issue.
- Go to the File menu of your QuickBooks desktop.
- Hit the Utilities tab, and choose Rebuild Data.
- Your screen will display some essential instructions. Follow those instructions to back up your company file
- The Rebuild Data utility begins as soon as the backup is finished.
- Select the OK option when you see the “Rebuild has completed” message appearing on your screen.
The Conclusive Words!!
The QuickBooks error code 80070057 can easily be rectified through the above-given steps. However, you can also perform a quick clean installation of QuickBooks as it is an effective step to solve various common errors. In this method, you just have to uninstall and reinstall the QB Desktop software with the help of the QB Clean Install Tool. Alternatively, if you need any help regarding QuickBooks, you can contact us at our Toll-free number +1-(855)-955-1942.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: You can fix the QuickBooks Error code 80070057 with the help of the Clean Install Tool and Verify and Rebuild Data Tool from the QuickBooks tool hub. Along with that, if you are using the QB in multi-user mode, you can also take the help of QuickBooks database server manager.
Ans: You can use the Verify and Rebuild tool to repair the company file and rectify the error 80070057. All you have to do is go to the Verify Data option from the Utility tab and then let the tool verify your data. After that, just click on the Rebuild tool and let it repair any data damage.