Are you troubled with the QuickBooks Error 6144 82 frequently flashing on your screen? Well, many Quickbooks users face trouble with this issue while accessing the company file. You can encounter this issue if you have some incorrect configuration of the system settings on your device. Although there are many reasons that can trigger it on your QuickBooks, this blog will cover them all. For a detailed view of the QuickBooks error 6144 82, follow the given blog. We will cover everything in this blog, including the reasons that trigger it and its troubleshooting solutions.
QuickBooks Error 6144 82: A Brief Overview and Error Message
QuickBooks Error 6144 82 is a common error that occurs when users try to open or access the company file. It can also sometimes appear on your screen when you open a company file that is already used by some other application. It mostly appears when your system settings configuration is improper or incorrect or if there are any irregularities in the Windows registry. The QuickBooks error message that pops up on the screen for this QuickBooks error, 6144 82, says
Error 6144 82: QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
The error 6144 82 mainly affects Windows 7, 8, 10, Vista, and XP.
QuickBooks Error 6144 82: Factors that trigger it
When you open your company file in QuickBooks, several components work together to help you open the file in QuickBooks. And if any of these components get damaged or corrupted, then QB starts giving the error messages on your screen when you open the company file. The same scenario goes with QB Error 6144 82. So let us have a look at all the factors that can trigger QB Error 6144 82.
- The QB error 6144 82 can be triggered because of the improper settings of the Firewall or internet security.
- Improper installation or damaged and corrupted download of QuickBooks can also trigger the error 6144 82.
- Some recent modifications in QB may have caused some corruption in the Windows registry, which can also lead to this error code.
- A single system might have multiple instances of QuickBooks.
- Virus infection or malware attack on the system can also be a reason.
- Accidental deletion of QuickBooks-related company file.
- The damaged QuickBooks .TLG and .ND files can also cause the error 6144 82.
- The error code 6144 82 can also arise when there are some network issues on the server.
- If you have not set up the user’s permission to share the company file, you may encounter the QuickBooks error 6144 82.
QuickBooks Error 6144 82: Instances when it can occur
The QuickBooks error code 6144 82 can appear on your screen abruptly. So here are the common instances when you might face this issue:
- When you might be downloading a corrupted file for QuickBooks.
- It can also occur when you might be installing some other application and QuickBooks is open in the background.
- You can also face this error 6144 82 at the time of starting or shutting down the system.
- The QuickBooks error 6144 82 may also occur when you install the operating system on your computer.
QuickBooks Error 6144 82: Signs to identify it
Now that you know the reasons that lead to this error 6144 82, you must also know the ways you can identify it. The below-given list will give you details about the signs that indicate the arrival of Error Code 6144 in QuickBooks.
- The active application crashes or your system experiences frequent crashes while running the application.
- Your Windows starts running sluggish and responds slowly to the keyboard and mouse inputs.
- Your system may also freeze for a few seconds.
- The error message displaying the error code 6144 82 itself appears on the screen.
Some Important points to remember before troubleshooting QuickBooks Error 6144 82
Before we jump into troubleshooting steps for QuickBooks Error 6144 82, we must understand some important points. These points will help you troubleshoot the error without facing any technical difficulties.
- Make sure to implement all the troubleshooting steps on the host system, that is, the server system.
- Ensure that all the systems are shut down properly, including the host system and workstations.
- Disable the system security software.
- You must keep all the systems updated to the latest version.
- Perform disk cleanup to clean the junk from all the systems.
QuickBooks Error 6144 82: Troubleshooting Solutions
Solution 1: Set up the QuickBooks User Permission
The improper settings of user permission may also lead to the error 6144 82 in QuickBooks. To solve this, you need to configure the correct user permissions.
- To start the process, first, log in to the QuickBooks desktop software.
- Then, from the upper right corner of your screen, go to the Company option and click it.
- Then, there, find the option saying Set Up Users and Roles on your screen and select it.
- Then, you need to enter the password and select the user name from the list given there.
- After that, you need to choose the user permission that you desire to give to the users.
- Lastly, check if you are still facing the QuickBooks error 6144 82.
Solution 2: Rename the TLG and ND files of QuickBooks.
The QuickBooks TLG and ND files are the transaction log file and Network data files, respectively. QuickBooks requires these files to access a company file on a network or multi-user environment.
- You need to launch the Quickbooks desktop application and then press the F2 key.
- This will open the product window on your screen. It will display information about the product.
- Here, you will get the details regarding the location of the company files under the File Information section. Note down the location of the company and select the file in which all your company files are situated.
- Then, inside the folder, choose all the files ending with the extension .tlg and .nd, and after that, click right on them. The names would be like company_file.qbw.nd / company_file.qbw.tlg.
- If you are unable to find the file extensions, then you need to first make changes to the Windows Files and Folder settings.
- For Windows 7 & 8 Users: Click on the Organizer menu from the top-left corner and then select the Folder and Search Options.
- Then, you need to go to the View option and uncheck the Hide extensions for the known file type option.
- After that, click Apply and then hit OK to save changes.
- For Windows 10 Users: You need to simply click the View tab from the top and place a checkmark next to the File name extensions option.
- Now, the file extensions for every file on your system will be available for you.
- Next, tap on the Rename option and add the word .old at the end.
- Perform the same steps for both files, i.e., tlg and nd.
- Finally, after renaming the files, log in to your QuickBooks and check for the error.
Read Also- How to resolve QuickBooks error 6155
Solution 3: Repair Windows Registry to resolve the QuickBooks Error 6144 82.
Some recent modifications in QuickBooks can sometimes cause corruption in the Windows registry. And this can result in various error codes in QuickBooks, including the error 6144 82. To resolve this issue, you can try out the following method:
Note: Make sure you are well-versed in the technical aspects, as this method involves core technical steps. And in case you edit the registry entries incorrectly, you can irreversibly damage your computer. In case you need help with the steps, call our QB professionals at our Toll-free number +1-(855)-955-1942.
- First, open the command prompt and then press the Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together.
- Then, when the permission dialogue box opens up, press the Yes button.
- In the black box having a blinking cursor, type the word Regedit and hit Enter.
- Next, navigate to the Register Entry section, and search for the option related to the error 6144 82.
- Now, you have to select the file menu and then choose the export option. Make sure to select the Selected Branch option within the Export range box.
- Then you need to hit the Save button to save the changes you just made.
- After that, choose a folder where you wish to keep the backup key to QuickBooks.
- And then save the folder name with the .reg extension.
Solution 4: Use Quick Fix my Program to resolve the QuickBooks Error 6144 82.
Quick Fix my Program is a tool associated with the QuickBooks Tool Hub. It is utilized to resolve a wide variety of QuickBooks errors. You can follow the given steps to use the Quick Fix my Program to fix the QuickBooks error 6144 82.
- First, visit the Intuit official website, search for QuickBooks ToolHub, and then Download it.
- Then, you need to install the Tool Hub application using the QBToolHub.exe file that you downloaded.
- After that, launch the QB Tool Hub and then go to the Program Issue tab.
- Lastly, click and run the Quick Fix my Program tab and let the tool work.
Solution 5: Utilize the Windows Error Repair Tool for the QuickBooks Error 6144 82.
This tool can be used to resolve QuickBooks Error 6144 82 in no time. In fact, it can be used to get rid of various issues like registry permissions, file permissions, Windows firewall, proxy settings as well as other related issues.
- For the first step, go to the authoritative site to download the windows error repair tool and start the download.
- Then, once the download gets completed, install it properly and proceed further.
- After that, launch the tool and click on the Scan Now option to begin the scan process and detect the issues causing you to face QuickBooks error 6144 82.
- If you face any error, click on the Repair option to fix it. You can fix all the detected errors with just a single click on the Repair All option.
Solution 6: Start the QuickBooks Monitoring Service for the QuickBooks Error 6144 82.
- First, proceed to the Start menu and then hit the Services tab.
- Then hit on the QBCFMonitoringservice icon from the services list.
- After that, verify that the service is started and also check if it is set up in Automatic mode.
- In case you find that the services are not in the Automatic mode, then click on the Verify the radio tab and hit Apply and OK options, respectively.
Solution 7: End the other Programs conflicting with the QuickBooks Desktop.
Sometimes, the other programs running on the system may conflict with QuickBooks may result in the issues like QuickBooks error 6144 82. Thus, you need to stop these programs to end the conflict. Follow the steps given below and end the other programs.
- Launch the Task manager with the help of the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys simultaneously.
- Then select the Processes tab and then click the End Process button to end a program. You need to do this step for each dubious program or service that you suspect might be conflicting with QuickBooks.
- If the error persists, you have to stop the process and immediately check which program is causing the error.
Solution 8: Change the Quickbooks Account type.
- To change the Account type, click on the Start menu.
- From there, go to the Control Panel and then choose the User Account option.
- After that, hit on the Add/ Remove user account tab.
- Here, you have to choose QBDserviceuser23 and modify the account type as per your requirement. It can also be done by verifying the administrator user.
Solution 9: Create new folders in the C Drive and copy the Company file
Steps to Create the new QB Folders
You need to create a new folder in your C drive with the name QB. Also, you need to choose the read/write options for all the folders. The list of folders that you need to create is as follows:
- Add system
- Add user
Steps to copy the company file to the newly created folders.
After you have created the new folders, you have to copy the company file to the new folder. Always remember one thing the excessive file size may also be a reason behind the corruption of the company files.
- First, go to the User option in the C drive and hit the Public icon.
- Then, choose the Public documents tab and click on the Intuit icon.
- After that, hit on the QuickBooks icon and also the company files.
- Here, you will find the Default Company file location.
- Now you have to Copy and paste the QuickBooks file into a new folder. (Note: Remember to avoid the cut-paste method to move the company file, as it may lead to corruption.)
To Sum Up Everything!!
The above-mentioned solutions will help you rectify the issue easily. However, you can also utilize the QuickBooks database server manager to rectify this QuickBooks Error 6144 82. For this, you just have to hit on the QuickBooks icon from the program list. After that, click on the QB database server manager and hit the Add folder button.
Then you have to search and find the QB folder from the C drive and hit the Scan option. This will scan the company file and rectify the error. However, if you still have any doubts, you can anytime connect with our QuickBooks professionals. Call us at our Toll-free number+1-(855)-955-1942 to connect.
Frequently Asked Qestions
To fix the error 6144 82 in QuickBooks, you can follow the given steps:
1. Run Database Server Manager
2. Use QB Tool Hub
3. Rename TLG and ND File
4. Setup firewall rules, both inbound and outbound
The detailed steps are given in the blog. You can also connect with our QuickBooks Professionals to get help.
You can create the backup files by opening the File menu and Switching the user mode. Then go to the File menu and hit the backup company file option. You can also create a local company backup file. For this, you need to choose the Local Backup File then hit Next and Ok.
Yes, reinstalling the QuickBooks application can sometimes fix the error code 6144 82. However, remember to fix it permanently with the help of the solutions mentioned in the blog.