QuickBooks, the accounting software, allows you to print forms, checks, and other documents effortlessly with its amazing features. However, every now and then, user report issues with this printing issue of QB. One such common error is QuickBooks missing pdf component. This error can often confuse the users about which component they are missing and how to get it and use it for printing. So, here we are giving you every insight about this error, how to fix it, and print through QB. Follow the complete article to learn about the QuickBooks pdf component missing.
What Does the QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component mean, and What is the Error Message for it?
Sometimes a user prints any PDF in QuickBooks; it throws an error message saying, “Component Required for Pdf Print from QuickBooks is Missing.” The error message does not specify any particular component, yet its absence hinders your working process. Thus, it is important to timely tackle the error and resolves this issue. For this purpose, read the next part of the article.
What causes the QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component error?
There can be any component whose absence can cause the QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component error to appear on your screen. However, missing specific components generally trigger this error. These causes are listed below:
- Missing or corrupted Adobe Reader application can lead to the QuickBooks missing pdf component.
- Not updating the QuickBooks Desktop software can also bring the QuickBooks missing pdf component onto your screen.
- QuickBooks missing pdf component error may pop up on your screen due to the disabled Microsoft XPS Document Writer in the Windows settings.
- In case your system faces any problem connecting to your selected printer or Microsoft XPS Document writer on the XPS port.
- Missing any major component files can also result in the QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component error.
What problems can you face when the QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component error appears on your screen?
Apart from seeing the error message on the screen, there can be other reasons also that trigger the error. The issues like the PDF converter not working and others also indicate the presence of the QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component error. These issues are given below:
- PDF converter frequently shows offline.
- You are not able to print directly to your QuickBooks PDF Converter.
- You are not able to save your files as .pdf files.
- QuickBooks Desktop often freezes when you try to reconcile accounts.
- Print Driver Host for 32-bit Applications stopped working on your system.
- You may face QuickBooks PDF Converter Activation Error -20, -30, or -41.
- You can also face Error 1722 or 1801 when installing the PDF Converter.
How to fix the QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component error that appears on your screen?
QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component error can be fixed by using the Print & PDF Repair Tool. However, the QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component error appears due to the outdated version of the QB Desktop. Thus, to resolve it, you need to update it to the latest release. Go through the given solutions to rectify the missing pdf component in the QuickBooks desktop error.
Solution 1: Use the Print and PDF Repair Tool to fix the QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component error.
The Print and PDF Repair Tool is specifically designed to resolve and rectify various Print & PDF-related errors.
Step 1: First, Download and Install Tool Hub on your system
- Start by pressing the Alt + F4 keys on your keyboard to close the program if it’s running.
- Then download the most recent available version of QuickBooks Tool Hub. ( Ensure to download the latest version only for better results).
Note to Remember: If QB Tool Hub is already on your system, you need to check which version do you have, then compare it to the latest available version. In case you have an older version, you have to update to the latest version to get the expected results. In order to check the version of your Tool Hub, click on the Home tab and then navigate to the bottom right corner of the drop-down menu. The version will be mentioned there.
- Now, once you have downloaded the file, you need to double-click on its .exe file from the downloads.
- Then follow the instructions on your computer screen. Also, provide consent to the terms and conditions to complete the installation.
Step 1: Run PDF & Printed Repair Tool from QB Tool Hub
- Open the Tool Hub app and then click on the Program Problems tab.
- Look for the PDF and Repair Tool option, choose it, and then let the tool run.
- Once the tool completely resolves the repairing PDF & Printed related errors, try to print the PDF invoices.
Solution 2: Update QuickBooks Desktop to the Latest Release to fix the QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component error.
Sometimes common QuickBooks errors can also be resolved by updating the QuickBooks application. Thus follow the below-given steps to resolve the error. There are two ways you can update QuickBooks, one is from outside the application, and the other is to update within the application.
First Step: Try to Update QuickBooks from outside the application.
- First, visit the official QuickBooks Download and Update webpage. Then from the Select Product drop-down list, select the QB version you are using.
- Then, select the QuickBooks version from the Select Version drop-down list and hit the Search button.
- Then, click the Get Latest Updates option and then select the Save button to download the file on your desktop.
- After that, click twice on the downloaded file to proceed with the installation.
Second Step: Try to Update QuickBooks from within the application.
- First, open the QuickBooks Dekstop and then select the Close Company or Logoff option under the File tab.
- Then, click on the Exit button from the File tab itself.
- Now, click right on the QB icon from your computer’s Desktop screen and then choose the Run as Administrator option.
- Then, Choose the Update QuickBooks option form under the Help tab.
- Now, look under the Options menu and then click on the Mark all option and hit the Save button.
- After that, You need to go to the Update Now menu, click Reset Update and then hit the Get Updates button.
- Lastly, Restart your QuickBooks and then click the Yes option on the install updates confirmation box.
Solution 3: Update and Repair Adobe Acrobat Reader to fix the QB Missing Pdf Component error.
As discussed above, an outdated or damaged Adobe reader can also cause you to face the QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component error. Thus, you need to follow the below-given steps to fix this issue by installing Adobe reader:
Step 1: Update the Adobe Acrobat Reader
- First, click on the Start icon and then type the word Adobe in the Search Programs and Files box.
- Then, from the application list, click on Adobe Reader.
- After that, select the Check for Updates option from the Help menu.
- Then to download the installation setup file for Adobe Reader, visit the official Adobe Product Download Page.
- Lastly, complete the installation process by following the instructions displayed on the screen.
In case you face the same QB Missing Pdf Component error, even after installing the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Then you need to repair the damage by following the given steps:
Step 2: Repair the Damage in the Adobe Reader
- First, close any open Windows or browsers tab running on your system.
- Then press the Windows + R keys together and open the Run window. Then you need to type the exact word appwiz.cpl and press the Enter key.
- After that, click the Adobe Reader twice and select the Uninstall/Change option.
- Then, click on the Next button, followed by the Repair option.
- Again, click on the Next button and then select the Install option.
- Once it completes the installation process, click on the Finish button and restart Windows.
If the QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component error persists even after installing and repairing the Adobe reader, then you can move to the next resolution method.
You can read our blog if your QuickBooks is unable to locate PDF viewer.
Solution 4: Enable Microsoft XPS Document Writer to fix the QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component error.
The QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component error can also be resolved if you enable the XPS Document Writer from Microsoft windows settings. Follow the given steps to enable Microsoft XPS Document Writer:
- First, simultaneously press the Windows + R keys on the keyboard and then type the word appwiz.cpl in the search area.
- Then hit Enter and then move your cursor to the left side panel on the screen and click the Turn Windows feature on or off.
- After that, ensure that the checkbox against Microsoft XPS Document Writer is marked.
- Then, try to print forms once again to check if the QuickBooks pdf component missing error is resolved.
Solution 5: Reset Permissions for your TEMP Folder to fix the QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component error.
There are chances that you are having some issues with your TEMP (temporary) folder, and because of this, you are facing the QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component error. Thus, follow the below-given steps to resolve this QuickBooks component required for the pdf print is missing error.
Step 1: Grant Full Control Permissions to the Temp Folder.
- You need to first open the Run command window by simultaneously pressing the Windows + R keys on your keyboard.
- Then, in the dialogue box, type the word “%TEMP%” and hit the Enter key.
- Now, in the Temp folder, you need to click right on the empty area and then select the Properties option from the drop-down menu.
- After that, go to the Security tab.
- In the Security tab, make sure that all the user names and groups have Full Control.
In case you do not have set the permissions for any user name or group to Full Control, follow the given steps:
- On the Security tab, you need to click on the Edit option and then select the user or group name.
- Now, you need to mark the Allow checkbox next to Full Control.
- At last, click on the OK button to save the change that you have recently made.
Step 2: Verify that you are able to Print to XPS ( Works only for Save as PDF and Email Issues)
- Open the Windows Start menu and then type the word Notepad in the search bar to open the Notepad.
- In Notepad, you need to type Test 1.
- Then go to the File menu and then select the Print option from the drop-down menu.
- Now, select the XPS Document Writer and then hit the Print button.
- After that, give the file a name and then locate it on your Windows desktop.
- Then, on the desktop, view the XPS document that you have printed from your notepad.
The End Note!!
The above-mentioned would help you to resolve the QB Missing Pdf Component error. However, remember to back up your company file. And once you have implemented the solutions and rectified the QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component error, you can restore your files back.
To restore the data, go to the File menu and then choose the Open or Restore Company option. Then select the Restore a backup copy option and then Next. Then select the option of Local Backup and hit
Next. Now, you need to browse your computer and look for your backup company file. It would be something like [Your company name].qbb. Lastly, select the folder to save the restored company file and then hit the Open button. This way, you can restore your company file data. However, if you need any kind of assistance regarding the QB, then give us a call on the toll-free number. And connect with our QuickBooks Support Experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
The easiest and most sorted way to fix the QuickBooks Missing Pdf Component is to use the QuickBooks PDF & Print Repair Tool. It is a free tool embedded in the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
QuickBooks can show this error if you don’t have a PDF viewer on your PC. The most suitable PDF client recommended for QuickBooks to view and print the forms is Adobe Acrobat Reader. So download and install it from its official website.