QuickBooks error 80029c4a occurs while opening QuickBooks Desktop. You get the following message on the screen stating: “QuickBooks couldn’t load a system component. Restarting your computer might solve the problem. Error type 80029c4a-Can’t load dynamic link library DLL.”
QuickBooks error code 80029c4a typically occurs when a company file becomes corrupted or can’t be located when you try to open the software. Apart from that, missing or corrupted DLL files also play a significant role in triggering the error. In this blog, we have covered all the usual reasons and relevant solutions to get through the error effortlessly.
Leading Reasons That Provoke QuickBooks Couldn’t Load a System Component 80029c4a
Besides the solutions, it’s equally important to pay attention to the root causes that eventually trigger a specific error in QuickBooks. If you know the exact reason, you’ll be in a better position to decide which troubleshooting solution will work best for the error. Below is a list of all the reasons that can trigger error 80029c4a in QuickBooks. Go through the list below.
- A QuickBooks company file that is damaged, missing, or corrupted can trigger QuickBooks error code 80029c4a.
- A damaged component in the Windows operation system can also be a reason.
- If QuickBooks Desktop installation files are corrupted or QuickBooks is not properly installed on the system.
- You might get QuickBooks error message 80029c4a if there is a corrupted Windows registry entry due to recent changes made in the QuickBooks software.
- If the QuickBooks component doesn’t start properly or the DLL files are either missing or corrupted.
- When a malware or virus attack on the system corrupts Windows system or QuickBooks software files.
- If another program on the system has deleted QuickBooks program files.
- If you have not added QuickBooks executable files to the Windows Firewall and antivirus software’s safe program list.
As the reasons for the occurrence of QuickBooks error 80029c4a are known, it’s time to move on to the troubleshooting solutions.
Top Ways to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error Message 80029c4a
The following are the tried and tested methods to eliminate QuickBooks Error 80029c4a can’t load dynamic link library (DLL). Implement them in order until the error is fixed.
1st Troubleshooting: Rebooting the System
Errors in QuickBooks can sometimes be resolved by a simple restart, which also applies to fixing Error Code 80029c4a in QuickBooks Desktop. Multiple users habitually put the system in sleep mode rather than restating it. But from time to time, rebooting the system helps you install new Windows updates to run QuickBooks Desktop smoothly. Moreover, rebooting the system also clears out memory issues and, as a result, gives a fresh start to the installed applications.
If rebooting the system is ineffective, move on to the next solution.
Keep Reading About QuickBooks Error Code 80070057 for Details Information
2nd Troubleshooting Solution: Install the Latest QuickBooks Desktop Updates
To get rid of QuickBooks couldn’t load a system component 80029c4a, update the QuickBooks Desktop to its latest release. QuickBooks allows every user to download and install the updates automatically. But if anything goes wrong, you can manually download and install the updates with a few easy steps. The following steps are to get the latest QuickBooks updates manually.
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop and move to the File tab at the top.
- Click Close Company/Logoff, and again move to the File tab and then choose Exit.
- Move to the desktop, right-click the QB Desktop icon, and click Run as Administrator.
- From the No Company Open window, move to the Help menu and select the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Under the Options tab, choose Mark All and then choose Save.
- In the Update Now tab, check the Reset Update checkbox and then hit the Get Updates button.
- After downloading the updates, close and re-launch the QuickBooks program.
- As you re-launch QB, you will see a prompt to install the updates; select Yes.
- Lastly, restart the system to conclude the process.
Try the next solution below if the above solution does not resolve QuickBooks error code 80029c4a.
3rd Troubleshooting: Run the Reboot.bat File as an Admin
To eliminate QuickBooks error code 80029c4a, reregister the missing QuickBooks installation files in Microsoft Windows by running the reboot.bat file. This file helps reset all system settings QuickBooks makes from when you start using it. To run the reboot.bat file, follow the steps below:
- Firstly, close the QB application.
- Move to the desktop and right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon.
- Select the Properties option under the drop-down menu and click Open file location.
- When you locate the reboot.bat file, right-click on it and click Run as Administrator. It is essential to run reboot.bat as the Windows Administrator. The file might display as reboot.bat or reboot for some users. It depends on the Windows Folder Options settings.
- The above action will open a Command (DOS) prompt window (black window) with rapidly scrolling file names.
- Don’t manually close this window; when the reboot.bat utility re-registers all the files, it will automatically close.
- Reboot the system.
Check if running this tool rectifies QuickBooks error code 80029c4a. If not, implement the next method.
4th Troubleshooting: Use the Verify and Rebuild Tool in QB Desktop
To get rid of QuickBooks error message 80029c4a, you must run the Verify & Rebuild tool. It will help identify and resolve damage or corruption in the company file. The initial step is to verify QuickBooks Desktop data, and if an issue is detected, proceed with the repair procedure.
- To verify the data, move to the Window tab in QuickBooks and choose the Close All option. It will securely close any opened company file in QuickBooks.
- Under the File, click Utilities, click Verify Data, and wait until the tool detects the problem.
- If you see the ‘QuickBooks detected no problems with your data’ message, there is no need to take further action.
- But if you see the message ‘Your data has lost integrity,’ you must rebuild as the Verify Tool has noticed issues in the data.
- To rebuild the data, select the File tab, click Utilities, and choose the Rebuild Data option.
- Select OK when QB asks you to back up the company file data before it runs the Rebuild Tool.
- Choose a location on the system to save the backup and select OK.
- Type a new name in the File Name option, then click Save. Make sure not to replace the previous backup file with the new one.
- Lastly, hit OK when you see the ‘Rebuild has completed’ message.
Note: If you wish to recheck the data for additional damage, go to the File menu, select Utilities, and then Verify Data.
Launch the QuickBooks program to check if error 80029c4a in QuickBooks is rectified. If not, implement the method given below:
5th Troubleshooting: Run the Utilities from QuickBooks Tool Hub
To repair the damaged components in the QuickBooks program, you need to run the utilities under the Program Problem Section. To learn how to run these utilities in Tool Hub, follow the steps below:
Run the Quick Fix My Program
This utility fixes minor issues in QuickBooks Desktop after shutting down the entire background process on the system that QuickBooks is using. Here are the detailed steps to run this utility:
Note: In order to run the Quick Fix My Program utility, you must install a centralized application called QuickBooks Tool Hub. It contains a wide array of tools, including Quick Fix My Program, Install Diagnostic Tool, Program Diagnostic Tool, etc. Hit the link below to download the latest version of QB Tool Hub.
- Open QuickBooks Tool Hub and move to Program Problems.
- Under Program Problems, click the first option, i.e., Quick Fix My Program, and run it.
- Launch QB to see if you are still encountering Error 80029c4a in QuickBooks.
If the QuickBooks Error Code 80029c4a still persists, move to the next solution below to try another tool that fixes program problems.
Run the QB Program Diagnostic Tool
Do not worry if Quick Fix My Program fails to eliminate error code 80029c4a in QB; the Program Diagnostic tool can help you with this error. This tool runs a repair on all the Microsoft components, which assists QB to run on the system. To use this utility, click the Program Diagnostic Tool and let the tool run for around twenty minutes. It will thoroughly scan QuickBooks and further eliminate the issues. In the end, when the process is over, re-launch QuickBooks Desktop.
If you still cannot get rid of QuickBooks error code 80029c4a, implement the next solution below.
Repair QuickBooks Desktop Manually
In this section; we have mentioned the steps on how to repair the QB application manually. But, before you do that, you must create a backup of the company file and restart the system. It is done to ensure that no other program can hinder the repair process. Now, follow the steps below for the same.
- In order to access the Control Panel, press the Windows Start button, search for Control Panel in the search bar, and then open it.
- Select Programs and Features and then Uninstall a Program.
Note: In case you can’t see the “Programs and Features “option. Select “Programs” instead and then “Programs and Features.“
- Select QB from the list of programs, then select Uninstall/Change.
- Select Continue or Next, then Repair, and then hit Next to conclude.
The repair begins right away. However, the tool may take a bit of time to finish. After the repair finishes, click Done, then hit Finish. Lastly, consider restarting the system to complete the repair process.
6th Troubleshooting: Reconfigure the Antivirus Setting
You must ensure that QuickBooks Desktop has general permissions. To verify that, check the area of the antivirus application that lists blocked files (also referred to as quarantine). If you find any QuickBooks program files listed in the table under the quarantine section, permit them to go through your firewall. In other words, you must add crucial QuickBooks program files to the safe list of antivirus applications installed on the system. Below is the table containing all the necessary files:
Note: Most of the files in the table are located in C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks (year). Also, if you see (x86) in the location, such as C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 20XX, that means you are using 64-bit Windows OS.
7th Troubleshooting: Use the Clean Install Procedure
By reinstalling QuickBooks with a clean install procedure, you can eliminate 80029c4a error loading type library/dll . Another key point is that when you reinstall QuickBooks, it replaces the program files, triggering the error. Secondly, it doesn’t affect the data at all. Therefore, your data is completely safe and sound. In this section, we’ll learn how to uninstall and then reinstall QuickBooks. However, some additional important steps in between are mentioned below. Also, it must be remembered that you implement this solution if only the above troubleshooting solutions prove to be ineffective.
Download QuickBooks Desktop
You can run multiple versions of QuickBooks on a single system. Whichever version you remove from the system, remember to download a new installer for that particular version. Go to the QuickBooks Downloads and Updates page and follow the steps below:
- If you run the QuickBooks application in multi-user mode, choose the Yes option.
- However, if you run the QuickBooks application in single-user mode, choose the No option. Otherwise, you can also choose the ‘Not sure’ option.
- Under the next window, choose country, product, and version of QuickBooks
- Select your preferences from the drop-down lists and hit the Search button.
- Finally, click the Download option, which will automatically download the file on the system. Save the file somewhere(downloads folder or the desktop) so you can easily find it during the installation process.
Note: Ensure the computer meets the QuickBooks system requirements. Another key point is that you must also ensure to keep the product and license number ready, as you will asked to enter them after installation of QuickBooks.
Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop
Follow these steps to remove the QB application:
- To access the Control Panel, hit the Windows Start menu, type Control Panel in the search bar, and press Enter.
- Choose the Programs and Features or Uninstall a Program option, then click the QuickBooks Desktop version you want to uninstall from the list of installed applications.
- Click Uninstall/Change, Remove, and then choose Next. If this option does not appear, log out and sign back in as a Windows admin user.
Rename the Previous Installation Folders of QB
The third step is renaming the installation folders left behind by the previous installation. Performing this step restricts QB from using files in these while reinstalling a new version. These files are generally hidden by the operating system, and you will need to modify the settings to view them.
To locate and display the hidden items:
- Select the Folder icon on the Desktop to open the File Explorer window.
- Under the View tab, choose the Hidden Items option.
Now, to rename the installation folder:
- Select the Windows Start button, type File Explorer in the search field, and then hit Enter to open it.
- Search the folder with all the company files and open it. You can find the folder in one of the following locations.
- C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Users(current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- 64-bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- To change the name, right-click on the folder and select Rename from the drop-down list.
- Lastly, rename the folder by including .old at the end of the folder name. It stops QB from opening these leftover files after the reinstallation process.
Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
- Go to the location where you have saved the QuickBooks setup file (QuickBooks.exe.) and double-click to open it.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install and agree to the terms and conditions of the software, and then click on the Next Option.
- Enter the QuickBooks license and product number in the next window and choose Next.
Note: You will require an active internet connection to install QuickBooks on the system.
- You have two ways to install QuickBooks. First is Express Install, which we recommend. And the next one is Custom and Network install. Since you are reinstalling QuickBooks, therefore, you should opt for Express Install.
- Further, choose Next and then choose Install.
- Lastly, when the installation finishes, choose the Open QuickBooks option.
After the installation, QuickBooks will prompt you to activate and update it. Lastly, reboot the system and launch the QuickBooks application to see if QuickBooks error message 80029c4a is rectified.
Hopefully, this informative blog has helped you resolve QuickBooks Error 80029c4a. The solutions discussed are easy to implement and can be followed even if you are new to QuickBooks. But still, if you need an expert for professional assistance, call us at +1-(855)-955-1942. Do not hesitate; our team is available 24/7 to tackle the error on your behalf.
Frequently Asked Questions
Answer: QuickBooks Error Code 80029c4a is a complex error that appears on the screen as, ”Error loading type library or DLL can not load a dynamic link library DLL.” The occurrence of this error signifies that there is some issue with the user’s company file, either it is damaged or corrupted.
Answer: The .dll file is a dynamic-link library. It is a Microsoft component needed for the implementation of the shared library concept in MS Windows and other operating systems. If this file gets corrupted or goes missing, the installation of software like QuickBooks gets affected.
Answer: .Dll file, a short form of Dynamic Link Library, is a collection of small programs that control the functionality of Windows OS and help install applications to complete specific tasks. Similarly, the .Dll file allows QuickBooks Desktop to install and run on the system. Accidental deletion, corruption, or damage to this file can trigger error 80029c4a.
Answer: You can encounter one of the following error messages with error code 80029c4a:
1. Problem: ‘There was an unexpected error reported when trying to run QuickBooks with a company file.’ Error Code: 80029c4a. Description: Error loading type library / DLL.
2. QuickBooks couldn’t load a system component. Restarting your computer might solve the problem.’ Error type: 80029c4a – Can’t load dynamic link library (DLL).
Both these error messages indicate issues with the .DLL file.