Hola Amigo! QuickBooks Error 6123 is a common error that usually occurs when you try to update, upgrade, restore or open the company file in QuickBooks and sometimes during the backing-up process. Recently a lot of QB users reported this company file error 6123,0 within the user community. Some users encountered the error message Connection to the QuickBooks company file has been lost while updating/upgrading their QBD, while others were either backing up company file or making a clone drive of the company file. But one thing was common, and that was the error message pop-up on the screen. The QB enterprise error message 6123,0 reads as:
"Error : -6123,0. We're sorry, but QuickBooks can't open your company file".
Lost the connection to your QuickBooks Company file because of QuickBooks Error 6123!! Get it fixed before it further damages the files and wipes the data. Call the Toll-free number +1-(855)-955-1942.
But Why Does QuickBooks Error Code 6123,0 Occur?
After Investigating the QuickBooks Error Code 6123,0, Intuit engineers listed a set of possible causes that results in the occurrence of this company file issue. You should pay attention to these to ensure you don’t encounter such issues in the future with your Quickbooks Desktop.
- One reason could be if you are trying to restore the data file from an external storage device.
- An insecure network connection also causes error 6123 in QuickBooks.
- Sometimes, a corrupted QB company file can also result in QuickBooks Company File Error 6123, 0.
- Malware or viruses that affect the operation of the QuickBooks Desktop may result in error code 6123, 0.
- Improper firewall settings can also interrupt the operations of QuickBooks.
- An outdated or damaged version of QuickBooks Desktop.
Note: Remember that you can access the QB company file from the QuickBooks Desktop application only. And if you try to open it using Windows Explorer by directly clicking twice on the file, QB may throw the error code 6123 on your screen. Thus, make sure to access the file from the QuickBooks Desktop application only.
Keep all these possible reasons in mind and check all of these if you ever encounter Quickbooks error 6123,0.
How To Fix QuickBooks Error 6123,0 With Few Tricks?
As all the above-mentioned factors can lead your Quickbooks to Error 6123, We’ll check one by one and fix if there is any problem with these factors. After every troubleshooting method, you can check if it fixed your Quickbooks Company file error 6123,0 or not.
Solution 1: Check For Pending QuickBooks Desktop Update
When QuickBooks Desktop is not up to date, it becomes prone to errors and also affects software performance. So keep your QuickBooks application updated to keep QuickBooks free from bugs.
- Open QuickBooks> Press Ctrl +F2> to get the product information window.
- Check for the updates and latest releases of QuickBooks.
If there is any pending update for your QuickBooks version, click on the update and let it finish. If the update didn’t help you resolve QuickBooks company file error 6123. Then follow the next troubleshooting step.
Solution 2: Run Quickbooks Fix My Program from QB Tool Hub
The QuickBooks Tool hub is a group of various tools that are used to rectify a set of common errors that QuickBooks encounters. You can use the Quick Fix My Program tool to refresh QuickBooks’s installation and remove issues caused by background processes and other common repair problems.
- Close QuickBooks software> Download the latest version of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Save the installation file to an easily accessible location like a Desktop.
- Open the QuickBooksToolHub.exe (downloaded) File
- Follow the installation instructions that appear on the screen.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and complete the installation process.
- Open the icon- QuickBooks Tool Hub on your Desktop.
- Go to Program Problems in the middle-left section.
- Choose Quick Fix my Program.
- After the program files repairs, check if the issue is gone.
Solution 3: Run Quickbooks File Doctor to Fix Data Issues
Damages or corrupt data in QB company file can result in Quickbooks Company File error 6123,0. QB File Doctor also helps end errors 6123, 0 and fix your company file. It resolves QuickBooks Desktop data issues.
- Open QuickBooks Tool Hub, and click on Company issues.
- Click on Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Select your company file from the drop-down options.
- Choose your File and move ahead.
- Continue by entering the QuickBooks admin password.
- File Doctor will repair your files.
- After the repair process completes, you can check your company file on QuickBooks.
If you still can’t open your File, the error is still there. Then move to the next step for further solutions.
Read Also- How to Resolve QuickBooks Company File Error 3003
Solution 4: Restore the Backup using the Portable Company File to fix error 6123.
Many times, QuickBooks only allows you to restore the company file on the same device where you had created the backup and not on others. So, if you try to restore the backup file (.qbb) on a new device, you will face the QuickBooks error 6123. So, you need to create a portable company file .qbm instead of backing up from a regular backup file. Follow the given instructions to rectify this issue.
- First, open QuickBooks on the old device where you had created the backup and click the File tab.
- Then, select the Create Copy option, and choose to Create Portable Company File.
- Then, click Next and enter a name for this company file.
- Next, select a location where you want to save the company file and then click Save and OK.
- After that, you need to move the portable company file to the new computer where you want to restore the backup.
- Then, you need to Open the QB application and click the File tab, followed by Restore a Portable File, then hit Next.
- Next, you need to browse the portable company file that would be with the .qbm extension and then click Open.
- After that, read carefully the instructions given on the Where do you want to restore the file page? And follow them.
- Lastly, hit the Next and Save buttons before opening the company file.
Special Case 1: If Quickbooks Error 6123,0 Occurs while restoring Quickbooks Company File(.qbw)
QB error 6123,0 encountered during the upgradation and updation of the company file can be fixed with the above 3 steps. But, some users reported that they faced the issue while restoring the QB company file. In such a case, Restore your company file from a local drive instead of file over a server or network.
- Inside the QuickBooks company file folder, open the QuickBooks backup file folder.
- Find the .qbb extension file exactly as the name of your company file.
- Copy this file to the local storage of your device.
- Restore the company file from the local storage into QuickBooks.
- If you are restoring the company file on a new device. Then the case of QuickBooks error 6123, 0 may still irritate you.
Special Case 2: If Error 6123 occurred while restoring a backup file(.qbb) on a new computer
For security concerns, QuickBooks does not allow you to restore your company file on another device and shows error 6123. To fix the error in such a case, you need to create a portable company file and use it to restore your company file on a new computer.
- Go to the File tab on your previous devices’ QuickBooks software
- Choose to create copy> then select Portable company file.
- Tap on the Next> then Type the name for the company file.
- Please choose the location to keep the File and click Save on it.
- Move the portable company file to the new device.
- Open QuickBooks on a new device>Click the File tab> Choose to Restore a Portable File> tap Next.
- Find and open the File with the .qbm extension.
- Follow the instruction given on-screen to restore the file page.
- Tap on Next and Save, then open the company file.
Solution 5: Run the QB Connection Diagnostic Tool
You can also install and use the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool on the host computer to check your network connection. If even this does not rectify the QuickBooks error 6123, follow the next solution.
Solution 6: Fix and rename the damaged.ND and .TLG file
If the above-mentioned steps do not help you eradicate the QuickBooks error code 6123, you can follow this solution. In this solution, you need to fix and rename the damaged Network and Transaction Log files for QuickBooks.
- First, press the Windows key or say Start button and then press Explore.
- Then, go to the folder containing the QuickBooks company file and look for the file having the .ND extension.
- Now, rename the file and add .old at the end of the file name.
- After that, follow the same step for the .TLG file. Edit and rename the file name by adding .old extension at the end.
- After doing this, remember to open the company file once again.
Note: If the above-mentioned steps fail to fix the network data file or the QuickBooks Error -6123, 0, then you won’t be able to switch to the multi-user mode. So, to switch to the multi-user mode, follow the given steps.
- Visit the File menu in QuickBooks.
- In the File menu, choose the Utilities tab.
- After that, go to the Host multi-user access option.
- Then, you need to click on the Switch to multi-user mode.
Still Confused? Talk to Our Professionals.
Give us a call at +1-(855)-955-1942
Solution 7: Set the proper folder permissions
- In this step, you need to open the folder having the QuickBooks company file on the host system. It also helps you to track the management of the user that has the QuickBooks database server manager.
- So, you need to set the folder permission to have full access. However, the folder settings depend upon the Windows settings and Windows user login.
Solution 8: Rename the QuickBooks Company File (Remove special characters)
QuickBooks has set certain rules for you to name your company file. And if there is any conflict in the company file name, it can give the error QuickBooks error 6123. Thus, you need to ensure that the company file does not have any special character in its name.
The two main rules include
- The company file should not contain any special character or space in its name.
- The name of the company file should also not exceed the 30-character limit.
Note: Also, make sure that you update your QuickBooks Company file timely to avoid any further errors.
Solution 9: Create a New Windows User to fix QuickBooks error 6123 0
There is quite a higher probability of Windows user login being corrupted. Thus, in that case, you can carry out the following steps and create a new Windows user.
- First, start by opening the Control panel and clicking on the create new user option in the user icon.
- After that, you need to select the Admin option for the user type.
- Then, you need to log out of the existing account.
- Once done, you have to reboot your system and then log in with the new user credentials.
- Also, remember to transfer your company file to the desktop.
- Lastly, open your QuickBooks application and access the company file.
Solution 10: Restart your device in Safe Mode to fix error 6123 in QB.
- When you restart your system in Safe mode, it reduces the chances of any third-party application restricting the QuickBooks application from running and operating.
- Also, in safe mode, you can even temporarily disable any third-party security applications.
After performing both of these steps, you need to open QuickBooks and try opening your company files in Safe Mode itself.
Solution 11: Opt for the Auto Data Recovery Functions
- Here in this method, you can restore the .ADR copy of any file and check whether it works or not.
- In case any file is corrupted or damaged, it can help you to resolve QuickBooks Error 6123.
Hopefully, by now your issue should disappear. But If you are still seeing QuickBooks Error 6123 and can’t access the company file, the reason might be something else. In such a scenario, feel free to contact QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Helpline Number +1-(855)-955-1942. Our experts will help you understand what is causing the error and how to fix it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Your QuickBooks can show QuickBooks Error 6123, 0 when there is some issue with your company file. This can be because you are trying to restore your data from an external source or your company file got corrupted.
While you are naming the company file, remember to avoid having any special character or space in its name. Also, try to name the file within the character limit of 30.
Top restore the backup from the local storage, go to the QB backup file and look for .qbb extension file. Then copy the backup file to local storage on the device. Then open Quickbooks and restore the company file from where you copied the backup file.
Because you can’t restore a different version QB company file to another version directly. You need to do it through a portable company file.
Yes, if there is any network or connection issue with the server containing the Quickbooks file.