QB Company file is the database where you enter all the financial information about your business, varying from your employee’s bank account data to business transactions. Users run into QuickBooks error 6073 while opening the company file. There can be multiple reasons for this error, varying from the mode of opening the file to the properties of the folder containing the file. The error message that appears on the screen is:-
QuickBooks is unable to open this company file. It may have been opened by another user.
Error codes: (-6073, -99001)
What are the signs to identify QuickBooks desktop error code 6073?
Here is a list that can help you to identify the error codes 6073-99001 QuickBooks. These are some of the common signs; the list may vary based on the QB version that you use.
- Your QuickBooks application stops working or does not respond to your requests.
- Your Windows screen may turn black or grey.
- The device may suddenly shut down and get freeze due to the QuickBooks error code 6073.
- You may face issues while switching windows between different applications.
- You will not be able to update or uninstall QB Desktop.
- The multi-user mode will not working properly on the server or client workstations.
- The error message regarding QuickBooks enterprise error code 6073 will get flashed on the screen.
What are the reasons behind QuickBooks error code 6073 and 99001?
Let us have a look at the reasons that made you search for the query, I am Getting QuickBooks Error 6073 99001.
- Some users from your organization have opened the company file using the single-user mode.
- The network folder having the company file has just read-only permission.
- You might get Error 6073 99001 if your company file is located on a Linux server and you have used multiple login passwords to access the shared folder.
- You might be trying to access the file through a remote access tool like Team Viewer, Go to Assist, etc.
- The error can also appear if the User permission settings are not properly configured.
- If your QuickBooks Database Server Manager is not responding or working properly.
- If your network data file or the company file is corrupted or damaged, then also you may face this issue.
Quick Solutions for QuickBooks Error 6073
There are 5 different conditions in which QuickBooks error 6073 arises. They are based on the mode of opening the QB file, properties of the folder having your company file and damage in the network or company file. Let’s look at these cases and their respective solutions:-
Case 1: There Are Network Issues Or Damage in Company File
Network issues or damage in the company file can prevent users from accessing it and lead to QuickBooks error code -6073. You can resolve it by using QuickBooks File Doctor. It is present in QuickBooks Tool Hub. Versions after QB 2016 have Tool Hub integrated within the QB applications itself. Prior to it, users had to download the stand-alone application. The steps you need to follow to run QuickBooks File Doctor are:-
- Run Tool Hub on your system.
- Click on Company File Issues and tap on Run QuickBooks File Doctor. Wait for a minute to open it.
- Select your company file in QuickBooks File Doctor. In case you don’t see your file, tap on Browse and Search and find your file manually.
- Now tap on Check your file (middle option only) and click on Continue.
- Type in your QuickBooks admin password and tap on Next.
- Now, wait for the file doctor to complete the process, the time it takes depends on your file’s size.
Case 2: Company File is running in Single User Mode on a Different Workstation
You would not be able to open the company file on your workstation if it is already opened on a different system and running in single-user mode. This can be a reason for QuickBooks error -6073 and switching the file to Multi-User mode is a way to fix it:-
- Close QuickBooks on all your workstations.
- Now run QB on your Host computer.
- Tap on the File tab and choose Switch to Multi-user mode from the list.
- Now run your company file and if the error still persists, reboot all your workstations.
Case 3: Company File is running in Single User Mode on the Host computer
QuickBooks error 6073 99001 will create a hindrance in opening the company file if it is running in single-user mode on the Host computer. It may feel the same as Case 2 but the steps to switch the mode of running your file to multi-user mode are different:-
- Click on the File tab and select Close Company from the option.
- Now again click on the File menu and tap on Open or Restore Company.
- Press Open a company file and press Next.
- Browse and select your company file.
- Choose Open file in multi-user mode and then click on Open.
Case 4: Company File Network Folder Properties is Read-Only
Users may run into QuickBooks Enterprise error code 6073 if the folder containing your company file does not have suitable properties. Read-only security settings do not allow company file to run in QB. You need to make changes to the properties and allow full control:-
- Run the host computer and open the folder containing your company file.
- Right-click in the folder anywhere and choose Properties from the options.
- A new window will open up, go to the security menu and select the user having issues opening the file.
- Click on Edit and tickmark Allow for full control.
- Then tap on Apply and press OK.
Case 5: Computer is Accessed Remotely Through LogMeIn, GoToMyPC etc.
Remotely accessing your system through modes such as LogMeIn, GoToMyPC, etc can cause network issues. It can also be a reason for QuickBooks error 6073. You can fix it by running Quick Fix my Program from QuickBooks Tool Hub (We discussed QuickBooks Tool Hub in the first solution). The steps you need to follow are:-
- Run QuickBooks Tools Hub and click on Program Problems.
- Then choose Quick Fix my Program and wait for the process to complete.
- Now run QuickBooks Desktop and open your company file.
Seek Experts Help To Fix QuickBooks error 6073 99001!
So this has been all about QuickBooks error 6073. We hope that the solutions mentioned above help you access your company file and fix the error. Switching your company file to multi-user mode allows multiple workstations to access the company file at the same period. If the error is still not resolved even after following the above-mentioned solutions, reach out to an expert at QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Helpline Number +1-(855)-955-1942, and they will further help you with advanced troubleshooting methods.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use the Quick Fix My Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub to fix this issue of the user logging in through remote software. You will get it in the Program Problems section in the QB Tool Hub.