Getting stuck over different errors while accessing the company file in QuickBooks has become a common thing now. But the recurring occurrence of an error and not having any idea about how to fix it can frustrate a lot of users. One such annoying and frustrating error is QuickBooks Error 6190 -816. It appears when you access your company’s accounts or financial data because of many reasons. However, the error mainly appears when there is some disparity between the data of the transaction file and the company file.
If you are also struggling with QuickBooks Error Code 6190 -816, then read the blog till the end and get answers to all your queries. The blog here will give answers to all your queries about the company file error 6190.
What Do you mean by QuickBooks Error 6190 -816?
QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816 belongs to 6000 series errors which is related to the company file. It’s also known as a “QuickBooks file not found” error. And occurs when you’re trying to access the company file under certain circumstances. Mostly when you have updated your QB company file on another system without checking it with the transaction log file. And after that, you have copied it back to the server.
Under the influence of QuickBooks error 6190, you’ll see the following error:
What Causes QuickBooks Error Code 6190 -816?
QuickBooks error code 6190 -816 does not let users open a QuickBooks company file. This can happen due to numerous reasons. Check them out:
- Corruption in the company file is usually the most common reason.
- If your QuickBooks installation is incorrect, then it may affect the software.
- Using outdated QuickBooks versions.
- If the transaction Log file (TLG) and the company file do not match, you will see this error.
- Some virus or malware is affecting your system very badly.
- If some other user is using your company file in single-user mode then it may lead to QuickBooks 6190 error for you.
- If you access the company file from an external storage device, your system can not connect to, you can get this error.
Now that you are aware of the possible causes of QuickBooks error codes 6190 and 816, use the troubleshooting steps given below to fix them.
How To Resolve QuickBooks Error 6190?
There are many ways to fix QuickBooks error 6190. However, the most recommended one is to use a QuickBooks file repair tool or the QuickBooks Tool Hub. This tool can quickly resolve the corrupt QuickBooks company file and eliminate this error. The other methods you can try to fix the error are as follows:
Solution 1: Restart all the systems in Network including the Server system
The first step in fixing this error includes restarting all the systems connected to the network. We have provided here instructions to restart the server and the workstation computer.
- First, go to the server system which is hosting the company file and restart it.
- Then, you need to restart all the workstations that are connected to the network.
- After that, you have to open the QuickBooks application first on the server computer and then on the workstations.
- Then, check the status of the QuickBooks error code (-6190, -816). If it has not got resolved, move to the other troubleshooting methods.
Solution 2: Move QB Company File to a Local Storage
Moving the company file to the local storage makes it easier for QB to access it than accessing it from the server or the cloud.
- First, you need to copy your company file from the server to a USB storage device.
- Then, move the file to the workstation where you are trying to access it.
- After that, open the QB Desktop application and access the company file from the device’s local storage.
Solution 3: Check the Single-user Mode in QuickBooks
As discussed above, if you try to open the company file that is already opened by another user in the single-user mode, then you may face this error. So, with the below-given methods, check for the single-user mode in your QuickBooks:
- First, start your system and copy your data file from its source.
- Now, paste the copied data to the desktop.
- Then, again copy and paste the data to the original location.
- Lastly, sign in to QuickBooks with your login credentials.
Solution 4: Repair the QuickBooks File Registry
By repairing the QuickBooks File Registry, you’ll likely get rid of error code 6190. You can follow the following procedure for fixing registry files-
- Start by pressing the Windows key on your keyboard. Or you can tap on the “Start” menu at the bottom left on your device screen.
- When the search box shows up, type “Command Prompt.”
- Ensure to use “Ctrl + Shift + Enter” while the command prompt opens on your screen.
- After that, type “Regedit” in the Command Prompt Window and Enter.
- You’ll see an editor on the screen for window registry; click on the link related to QuickBooks error 6190.
- Now you can export it by clicking on the option “Export” and save it.
- As a final step, follow the prompt that you see on the screen and complete the process.
Solution 5: Use ‘System Restore Point’ to Restore The System
- Press the ‘Windows‘ key and open system restore by clicking on it..
- Now you’ll receive specific instructions on the screen.
- Follow these instructions to finish the process.
- After completing the process, restart your system.
Solution 6: Fix .ND and .TLG file Abnormalities Manually
To ensure that the data in TLG file and QuickBooks company file is same, follow the given steps below-
- Open QuickBooks and go to the folder in which the QuickBooks company file is.
- Choose Rename from the drop-down list by right-clicking on the company file.
- Rename the Transaction Log file and Network Data.
- After this exit QuickBooks.
- Now reopen the QuickBooks and try accessing the company file again.
This step will help you access the company file and fix QuickBooks error 6190.
Solution 7: Use QuickBooks Refresher Tool
The QuickBooks Refresher Tool proves beneficial in fixing many technical issues, including this error. You can follow the steps given below to use the tool-
- Download QuickBooks Refresher Tool on your device.
- Now double-click and open the ‘qbrefresherv1.exe’ file.
- Using Task Manager, now you need to close all the programs running in the background.
- Follow the instructions given on-screen and refresh the QuickBooks app.
- After following this process, reopen the QuickBooks company file to see if the error is still there.
If the QuickBooks error 6190 persists, try the following troubleshooting technique.
Solution 8: Check For the Availability Of QuickBooks Update
Ensure you have all the latest updates of QuickBooks installed (if available) correctly. If so, try uninstalling and reinstalling QuickBooks to see if it fixes the problem.
- Press Windows or go to the Start menu.
- In the box, type “Update” and hit the “Enter” key.
- If there are any updates available on your Windows computer, install them immediately.
- After the installation, check QuickBooks Desktop is working properly.
Solution 9: Delete the Temporary File
Sometimes junk files residing on your system can also cause QuickBooks error code 6190 and 816. Deleting these temporary files and folders can protect your computer from many errors. To clean up your device, follow these steps-
- Open the Windows search bar and type “Run” in it.
- Press the “Ctrl + R + Enter” keys simultaneously while you open the Run window.
- Now type “cleanmgr” in the Run window and hit Enter.
- A “Disk Cleanup” window will display now.
- You can select the junk file size and click “ok.”
After cleaning up your computer by removing these temporary files, restart your computer.
Need Assistance To Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6190!
You can find the best solutions for resolving the QuickBooks error 6190 816 above. You will get rid of this error by following these steps. But, if you still need assistance, you can contact our QuickBooks Data Service Solutions team at +1-(855)-955-1942 for professional guidance. QuickBooks Helpline service can also provide further assistance to solve your queries
Frequently Asked Questions:
Ans: You need to first download and install the QBDBMgrN on the server system. Then follow the given step:
1. Open the system and head to its Start menu.
2. Now, go to the Search tab and enter QuickBooks database server manager.
3. Then, open QBDBMgrN.
4. Now, you have to update the database manager to the latest version.
5. Lastly, reboot the server as the update process completes.
6. Then, open the QB desktop on the server system as well as the workstation.
Ans: An outdated QuickBooks application or Windows can trigger several errors, including error 6190 in the application. And yes, updating them can fix this error.