Ever wondered what QuickBooks Error 103 means? Well, QuickBooks Error 103 is a common banking error. It appears when the user enters the wrong user Id and password while trying to connect his bank account to the QB. If you are stuck over it, do not worry. We have got the answer to all your queries regarding this error. In this blog, we will give you a detailed explanation of what the banking error 103 in QB mean and what its triggers are and how to fix it. Follow the article till the end to learn the diagnostic steps for QuickBooks Error 103.
QuickBooks Error 103: Overview and Description
QuickBooks Error 103 appears on your screen when you enter the login credentials for your bank account, and your financial institution does not approve the sign-in. This causes QB to stop accepting your login requests, and thus it displays an error message saying the QB Error 103. It can also cause QuickBooks to prevent and lock your banking access, and thus you need to update the login details on QuickBooks Online.
QuickBooks Error 103: Reasons that trigger it on your screen
Apart from just the wrong login details, there are several reasons that can trigger QuickBooks error 103. These reasons are mentioned in this section of the article:
- You might have selected the wrong financial institution while entering the details.
- You are entering incorrect or outdated login credentials while connecting to the financial institution.
- You might have changed or updated the login credentials with your bank while you were connected. If this is the case, then you need to update this information in QuickBooks Online as well. Else you may end up getting QuickBooks Error 103.
- Missing cookies can be another reason for the error code 103 in QuickBooks.
- The bugs in the .msi file can also cause you to face the QuickBooks Error code 103.
- When the hardware facility is not turned on due to some approval failure, you may face error 103 in QB.
- Issues with the configuration of QuickBooks can also lead to QB error 103.
QuickBooks Error 103: Diagnostic Solutions to fix it
The QuickBooks Error 103 can be fixed by verifying the sign-in info and disconnecting any existing account in QB. The detailed diagnostic solutions are given below:
Solution 1: Validate Your Sign-in Credentials with Bank
The first step towards troubleshooting involves validating your sign-in information to check if it is correct or not; if it is not, then you need to fix it too.
- To start with the solution, you need to click on the Verify your credentials link on the error message displayed on your screen.
- Then when you click on the link, it will take you to a new window where you can enter your sign-in information. You can also go to a new window in your browser and then go straight to your bank website. The web address would be something like https://www.bank.com.
- Remember to disable the AutoFill in the Browser, and manually enter your username or email and password.
Note to Remember: If you have separate bank accounts, such as a business account and a personal account, then you must sign in to the account that you want to fix in QuickBooks.
- If your sign-in effort is successful, then you know that you have the correct login credentials. However, in case you get a sign-in error, then follow the instructions provided by your bank and reset your user ID and password.
Once you have recovered your login credentials or have modified them, move on to the next step to eliminate the QuickBooks error code 103.
Solution 2: Enter your bank sign-in info in QuickBooks to fix the QuickBooks error 103.
Once you have validated or restored your login credentials with your bank account, you need to enter the details in your QuickBooks error 103. You can either build a new connection or can update the details for existing connections, the steps for both are mentioned below:
Steps for the existing connection
- Go to the Banking tab in QuickBooks.
- Then select the bank or credit card account that you need to update.
- Next, tap on the Edit button.
- Then, select the Edit sign-info option.
- If your browser auto-fills the user ID and password fields, you need to clear them out. Also, ensure that the browser does not enter the old info by mistake.
- After that, manually type in the user ID and password for your bank account there. If there is a Show option available, then select it to confirm if you have entered the correct password or not.
- Lastly, select the Update option.
Steps for a new connection
You can also check the list of banks that have automatic connections to QuickBooks. However, if you do not see your bank option in the list, you have to upload the transactions to QuickBooks manually.
- First, go to the Banking section.
- In case you are connecting your account for the very first time, then select the Connect account option on the landing page. But, if you have already connected your online banking accounts before, you should select the Link account option.
- Now, in the Search field, enter the web address of your bank (http://www.bank.com) that you can get from visiting the website of your bank. Or you can directly enter the bank name; it will auto-suggest the website.
- Next, select your bank in the search results. You will see multiple options there. Select the type of account you want to connect with the QB. For example, if you wish to connect your business account, then select the Business option from the list.
- If your web browser auto-fills the user name or ID and password fields, clear them all. Also, ensure that the browser does not put the old credentials info by mistake.
- Next, manually type in the latest user ID and password of your bank account. If the Show option is present there, click on it to confirm that the password you entered is correct.
- After that, hit on Continue and then wait.
- Your bank will get connected successfully. However, if you still face QuickBooks Error 103, tap on the Go back option. Then repeat the steps from 4 to 7 with different options from the search result.
Once you have added a new account, you also need to disconnect the existing account.
Looking for solutions to resolve Banking Connection Error 101? Read Here.
Solution 3: Disconnect an Existing Account to fix the QuickBooks error 103.
If you have added a new account in QB, You need to disconnect the existing account by following the given steps:
- First, go to the Transactions tab, followed by the Banking option.
- Now, you need to click on the account that you want to disconnect.
- Then, after choosing the account, click on the Edit option.
- Then proceed further and tap on the Edit Account Info option.
- Then, checkmark the box given against the Disconnect the account option.
- Then lastly, click on the Save button.
If you are a QuickBooks Self-Employed user and are facing QuickBooks Error 103, then follow the below-mentioned steps to fix the error 103.
Solution 4: Steps to fix the QuickBooks Error 103 for Self Employed.
- Begin by clicking on the Reconnect option, which is displayed on the error message displayed on your screen. Then, manually type the username and password on the given fields.
- After that, you need to click on the Update Sign-in Info.
- Next, follow the below-given steps to verify the bank connection.
- Look for the bank’s login web page URL, or you can also use the URL that you get once you log in to your bank account.
- Then, search for the bank with the URL that you use to sign in to the bank account. You need to try all the possible results by removing certain strings from the URL. Then look out until you get the desired search result.
- If you face the QuickBooks online banking error 103 with your key bank, then log in to your account from the bank’s website and check for third-party access with the help of the below-mentioned steps:
- First, go to the Self–Service menu, then scroll down to the Security Center option.
- Then, click on the Business Tools option and then select the Manage Security option. Now, you will see the Third-Party Access.
The Conclusive Note:
While fixing Error 103, you need to remember that most of the banks need their users to sign – in with special access instead of a common password. In that case, you should check with your respective bank if you are using the right credentials. In case you still did not get the credentials right, call their customer care to seek help. However, if you need any support with QuickBooks, then contact our QB support experts by calling our toll-free number +1-(855)-955-1942.
Frequently Asked Questions
QuickBooks Error 103 appears on your screen when the sign-in credentials you used to access your bank’s website are rejected. In this case, the bank stops processing your sign-in request and asks you to update your product information.
To fix the QuickBooks Error 103, you need to follow the below-outlined steps:
1. Validate your Sign-in credentials.
2. Change your bank sign-in information in your QuickBooks Online.
3. Add an account for a new connection.
4. And disconnect an Existing account.
The primary reason for Error 103 in QuickBooks is the bugs in the .msi file. But the other reasons are described in detail in the article above.