QBDBMgrN (QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service) is an executable process on Windows having .exe extension. It allows multiple users to access the database and the company file stored on the file hosting server simultaneously. If QBDBMgrN service is disabled, then QuickBooks will be accessible in Single-user mode only and thus, means, you won’t be able to switch to multi-user mode. That further, displays the error message:
“QBDBMgrN not running on this computer”
“Windows Firewall: Disabled exceptions not defined“
It occurs whenever the Windows firewall interrupts the service and blocks its connection to the internet. Don’t panic, you can resolve the error by following some effective troubleshooting methods. Before we go ahead and discuss these steps, let’s understand what triggers the QBDBMgrN not running error on your desktop.
Scared if manual troubleshooting can risk your accounting data? Well if that’s so, we would suggest you get in touch with our experts. Place a call on our Helpline number +1(855)-955-1942 to take professional’s help.
What Are The Causes Behind QBDBMgrN Not Running On This Computer Server Issue?
Several reasons can trigger the QBDBMgrN not running error while accessing the QuickBooks database server manually. Below we have listed all such possible causes:
- Misconfigured configured Windows Firewall security settings.
- Outdated QuickBooks Database Server Manager service.
- Corrupt or partial installation of the QuickBooks Database Server Manager triggers QBDBMgrN not running on this computer server.
- QuickBooks is unable to access the server because of the obstruction of the third-party Firewall.
- Damaged Network Data (.ND) file can also trigger QBDBMgrN exe not running issue.
How To Identify QBDBMgrN Not Running On Server Error?
Below we have mentioned all the common identifying measures that will help you get aware whenever you get stuck with QBDBMgrN not running on this computer error:
- QBDBMgrN not running on server error will restrict you from accessing QuickBooks in multi-user mode.
- You won’t be able to access your company file.
- Restrictive Windows Firewall setting doesn’t allow QuickBooks to connect to the Internet.
- QuickBooks Database Server updates are not appropriate.
Methods To Resolve QBDBMgrN Not Running On This Computer Error
By taking into consideration all the queries that QB users posted on the public support forums, we have come up with the below-listed troubleshooting methods. Implementing these would surely help you eliminate the QBDBMgrN not running on this computer error:
NOTE: Did you try resolving the QBDBMgrN not running error by running the QuickBooks File Doctor tool but failed? That’s because it only repairs damaged company files and networks instead of configuring your firewall settings. That’s why we would suggest you adjust the firewall and its ports manually to enable QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service to connect with the network or internet again.
Solution 1: Install Latest Windows Firewall Updates
Apart from providing you with the latest security updates and patches, installing the Windows Firewall updates also ensures that the Firewall is not restricting QuickBooks from accessing the company file. Following the below-mentioned steps would help you install the latest Firewall updates:
- Simultaneously press Windows + R key to open the Run Window. Then, type Control Panel in the text space and press the Enter key.
- Now, click on the System and Security option. Alternatively, you may also enter firewall.cpl command to open the firewall settings.
- Select Windows Firewall and click on Check for Updates under the Update your Firewall Settings section.
- Click on Update Now if Windows finds any updates. Further, you may use the Recommended Settings option and wait until all the updates are installed.
- Lastly, restart your computer and open the QuickBooks application once again to check if QBDBMgrN not running error persists or not.
There might be a possibility that you would face issues or may get an error while updating the firewall, thus, in that case, you have to manually update the firewall by downloading the updated files. The update files are separate for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows operating systems. Download and open the updates by clicking on the below-mentioned links.
Further, install the updates by following the instructions that appear on your screen. However, if you are looking for a detailed guide to manually download and install the Windows firewall updates, then you can click here.
Solution 2: Restart QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service
QuickBooks Database Server Manager (consists of different versions like QuickBooksDB26, QuickBooksDB27, QuickBooksDB28, QuickBooksDB29, etc.) is considered as one of the primary components when it comes to Multi-User mode. Thus, you can try restarting its service to resolve the QBDBMgrN not running error.
- Open the Run window by pressing the Windows + R key simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Type Services.msc in the text space and press the Enter key.
- Now, scroll down and search for QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service listed as either QuickBooksDB28, QuickBooksDB27 or QuickBooksDB26 where 28 stands for 2018 version, 27 for 2017, and 26 for 2016 version of QuickBooks and the same implies to QuickBooks 2020 version.
- Right-click on the required QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service and select the Restart option.
- Try opening the QuickBooks application once again and if you are still unable to run QuickBooks, then you may proceed to the next troubleshooting solution to fix QBDBMgrN not running error.
NOTE: You might come across the error message “The QuickBooksDB26 Service on Local Computer started then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs“ while trying to start the QuickBooks services, in that case, you have to update your Windows Firewall.
Solution 3: Add QBDBMgrN Service to Firewall and its Ports
- Click on the Windows icon on your Desktop and type Windows Firewall in the Search Programs and Files search box.
- Select Windows Firewall from the list of programs.
- Now, go to the Advanced settings tab. Right-click Inbound Rules and click on the New Rule option.
- Click on Next under the Programs tab and select This Program Path.
- Further, choose the QuickBooks file location and click Next.
- Moving ahead, choose Allow the Connection and then click Next.
- Make sure to mark all the checkboxes and click Next.
- Type a name for this rule and click Finish.
- Repeat the above steps to set the outbound rules as well. All you need to do is select outbound rules instead of Inbound rules.
- Exclude QBDBMgrN.exe file located in C:\ Program Files\ Intuit\ QuickBooks folder.
- Don’t forget to save the settings in the firewall and try to use the QuickBooks application once again.
NOTE: If in case you are using a firewall other than Windows, then you might need to contact the firewall provider to get the exact instructions on excluding QuickBooks Database Server Manager from their firewall’s blocking list, as there are numerous firewalls available to the user.
Solution 4: Repair the QuickBooks Desktop Application
There are numerous reasons such as damaged QuickBooks installation files that may trigger errors such as QBDBMgrN not running while running Multi-User mode in QuickBooks. However, you can repair it by running a repair on the QuickBooks desktop application.
- Press Windows + R keys simultaneously and type appwiz.cpl in the Run window. Then, press the Enter key.
- Now, search for QuickBooks in the list of installed programs.
- When found, click on it followed by the Uninstall/Change option.
- Click on Continue and then Next.
- After that, choose the Repair option and then click on Next. Further, wait till the repair process completes.
- At last, click on Finish and restart Windows.
Solution 5: Reinstall QuickBooks using the Clean Install Tool
By installing the QuickBooks desktop application, you will get fresh copies of QuickBooks installed on your system. It will help you fix all the issues that you were not able to resolve by repairing the application. However, before you begin reinstalling the QB application with the QuickBooks clean install tool, we would suggest you take a backup of your QuickBooks company file to avoid any accidental data loss.
Solution 6: Set your server to Host QuickBooks in Multi-User Mode
- Firstly, you have to run the QuickBooks Desktop application on the server workstation.
- Then, go to the File menu and click on the Utility option.
- Verify if QuickBooks is set to host company files to multiple users in the network from the drop-down menu.
- If you come across an option that displays, “Host Multi-User Access”, it means that multi-user hosting is disabled.
- Click on the same option and then, turn on multi-user hosting in QuickBooks.
- However, if the “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access” option appears on the screen, it means that the system is in the right configuration. If the QBDBMgrN not running error persists, you can proceed to the next troubleshooting step.
Solution 7: Ping Server from Users Workstation to check the Inter-Network Connectivity
Following the below-given steps would help you know if QuickBooks server and the workstation are communicating with each other or not.
- Click on the Windows icon and search for Network and Sharing Center on both Server and users workstations.
- Further, select the Change Advanced Sharing Settings option and make sure to select the Turn on Network Discovery option.
- Now, you need to press Windows + R keys on the server computer. Type CMD in the text space and press the Enter key.
- It will open the black color command prompt window on your screen, type ipconfig/all in the text area and press the Enter key.
- Make sure to note the hostname that appears next to the Host Name under IP configuration.
- Open the Run command window on the user’s workstation on which you encountered the QBDBMgrN not running error. Type CMD and press the Enter key.
- Further, enter the command ping your server name and press the Enter key.
- If you receive all the packets that were sent, then it means there is no issue with this workstation. However, you can repeat the same steps to check if other workstations are having the same issue.
Need Help To Fix QBDBMgrN .exe Not Running Error!
We hope the troubleshooting methods mentioned in this blog would have helped you resolve QBDBMgrN not running error without any hassle. However, if the error persists and you’re unable to start QBDBMgrN on your computer, we would suggest you not risk any further operational delays and get in touch with our team of experts for quick and reliable support. All you need to do is give us a call on our QuickBooks Error Support Toll-Free Number +1(855)-955)-1942. Our team will provide you with instant resolution.