When the system detects an unauthorized access into QuickBooks Application, It shows QuickBooks Error 401. It affects both- desktop and online versions of the application differently. QuickBooks API HTTP error 401 appears in QBO while QuickBooks Error 401 appears in QB Desktop. The error message that appears on your screen is:
“The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorised.
Request is unauthorised.
Do you want to login again.”
If you have run into QuickBooks error 401 and are facing difficulty accessing your file. Reach out to our experts by giving us a call on our Toll-Free Number +1-(855)-955-1942.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 401 in QuickBooks Desktop
3 Different reasons can provoke QuickBooks Error Code 401:
- When you sign in to your company file or accountant toolbox.
- You are registering during QuickBooks installation.
- You are sending an invoice with QuickBooks Payments.
Simple Solutions to Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 401
An outdated application is one major reason why QuickBooks error 401 occurs in the desktop variant of the application. One simple solution is to update the QuickBooks Application. Follow these steps in order to do so:
- Tap on No in the error message window to close it.
- Now close your company file and then close QuickBooks.
- Now go to the Windows Start menu and search QuickBooks desktop.
- Right-click on its icon and select Run as administrator.
- In the no company window, tap on the Help menu and choose Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Go on the Options tab and choose Mark all. Then tap on save.
- Go to the Update Now tab and tick mark the Reset Update box.
- Click on the Get Updates button.
- Once the update finishes, reopen QuickBooks desktop and select Yes to install updates.
QuickBooks API HTTP Error 401 in QuickBooks Online
In QuickBooks Online, users are required to complete the OAuth signature process in the Authorization header and get access tokens. OAuth protocol helps to set up authentication and authorization for your application. Any Failure can lead to QuickBooks API HTTP error 401. It means that the final Inventory cannot access the QBO file.
Causes for Error message “QuickBooks API HTTP error 401”?
You might face a login issue when file inventory fails to access the QBO file. There are several reasons for the error message “QuickBooks API HTTP error 401”. Let’s look at the possible reasons in detail:
Expired Access Tokens: The access tokens have a validity of 180 days; once that validity is crossed, you are required to complete the OAuth signature process again.
Wrong email id: Many users have faced QuickBooks Error Code 401 due to the wrong email id entered by them or users other than master admin trying to log in for the realm.
Changes made by Admin: This error can occur if the Admin disconnects the realm or company manually and then someone tries to access the file. Disconnecting the file manually invalidates the access tokens irrespective of their expiration date.
Master Admin is deleted from QBO: Master admin is the original user that is supposed to authorize the connections. The error will arise if that user is deleted from your QBO file.
Simple Steps to fix QuickBooks API HTTP error 401
There are 2 different options to fix QuickBooks Error 401. One is to re-login into your company file, and the other is to remove the integration and then add it back. Let’s discuss the solution in detail:
Re-Login into your Company File
If you are already logged in to your company file but cannot use certain features, try logging out of your company file, closing your web browser, restarting your system, and then logging in to your company file again. You can skip the first step if you are not logged in.
Remove Integration and then Remove it
First, you need to re-authorise the connection between Finale Inventory and your QBO company file. Follow these steps to remove and then add back integration:
- Go to QBO settings and Tap on Admin then click on Integration.
- Now, select QuickBooks Online under accounting.
- Tap on Disconnect.
- Click on confirm to disconnect the integration.
- Go back to Feature Add-ons and choose Manage Add-ons.
- Search QuickBooks Online Integration and choose Install.
- Click on Connect to QuickBooks. Intuit sign-in page display up.
- Put in login credentials. In case you are operating multiple companies, you need to choose which one you want to link.
- If a message asks, select Authorize.
- “You are now connected” message display, and the preference window will open up.
So, now you can easily get rid of QuickBooks Error 401. We discussed the troubleshooting method for both QBD as well as QBO. If you are stuck somewhere and find it difficult to fix the issue, we would suggest you give us a call on QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Helpline Number +1-(855)-955-1942.