At times, while activating direct deposit, you might end up with QuickBooks error 40001. If you are wondering why it happened, well there are several reasons that can trigger this error code. One such reason is that you wouldn’t have logged in to QuickBooks as an Administrator and thus, you’re unable to activate the direct deposit. Another reason is when the Realm ID (Company Intuit ID available under account information) that is present within your QuickBooks no longer matches with the information in the payroll system. However, there are other possible reasons as well that can trigger this error code. We have mentioned all such reasons further in this blog.
Stuck with error code 40001 in QuickBooks? Don’t worry! 0ur experts will help you resolve it in no time. Place a call on our QuickBooks Error Helpline number +1(855)-955-1942.
What Are The Causes Of QuickBooks Payroll Account Update Error 40001?
Here, we have listed some of the possible reasons that may trigger QuickBooks error 40001:
- You haven’t logged into QuickBooks as a system administrator.
- The Realm ID doesn’t match the number in the payroll system.
- It takes place due to an outdated QuickBooks desktop application.
- QuickBooks Error Message 40001 can result due to unexpected behavior of the company file.
You May Also Read: Resolve Common QuickBooks display issues
Troubleshooting Steps To Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 40001
Below we have mentioned some of the effective resolution methods that can help you resolve QuickBooks error 40001:
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop Application
As mentioned, you might end up with QB error code 40001 due to an outdated version of the QuickBooks software, and thus, you must update it to the latest version to fix this error code. Follow the below-given steps to update the accounting application:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop application in the first place.
- Go to the Help menu and click on Update QuickBooks.
- Now, select the Update Now option and wait until QuickBooks doesn’t install all the updates.
- After that, go to the File menu and click on Exit.
- Open the QuickBooks application once again and click on Yes when selecting the Update Now popup appears.
If the above method didn’t help you resolve QuickBooks error 40001, move to the next one instantly.
Solution 2: Login as an Administrator
At times, while activating the direct deposit, you forget to log in to QuickBooks as a system administrator and this halts the activation process. Thus, make sure that you’re running as an administrator by following the below-given steps:
- Firstly, right-click the QuickBooks Desktop application and select Properties from the drop-down menu.
- Go to the Compatibility tab, and unmark the “Run this Programming as Administrator checkbox.
- Once you find an option that is already unchecked, click on Apply.
- At last, click on OK and restart your system.
Solution 3: Run the Verify/Rebuild Utility tool
At times, your company file might be showing unexpected behavior that leads to QuickBooks error 40001. Thus, to fix it you need to run the Verify and rebuild utility tool as it detects and repairs the issue. For doing so, you may follow the below-given steps:
- Open the QuickBooks application and go to the File menu.
- From there, click on Utilities and select Verify Data. Now, wait until the diagnosis is done.
- If some issues are diagnosed, you can proceed to rebuild the company file.
- Again, go to the File menu and Utilities. This time, you have to click on Rebuild Data followed by OK.
- Lastly, complete the process by following the instructions that appear on your screen.
Solution 5: Run the Repair tool to Fix QuickBooks Error 40001
Note: Before you proceed to fix QuickBooks error code 40001 with the below-given troubleshooting steps, make sure to create a backup of your company file. Further, you have to restart your computer. It assures that none of the programs would affect the repair process.
- Click on the Windows icon and go to the Control Panel.
- Now, select the Programs and Features option followed by Uninstall a Program.
Note: If in case, you’re unable to see the Programs and Features option, then, you may select Programs in place of that. And then, select Program and Features.
- After that, you have to select QuickBooks from the list of Programs followed by the Uninstall/Change option.
- Further, click on Continue> Repair> Next.
- Once done, click on Finish.
Note: It’s essential for you to know that the repair process would start right away, but it may take some time to finish. Thus, you must leave it running, and come back once it’s done. You might have to restart your computer to complete the repair process.
- Lastly, you must keep your QuickBooks desktop application updated as per the latest version. It makes sure that you’re using the most recent fixes and security updates.
Solution 6: Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool
QuickBooks error 40001 can occur while trying to do the federal compliance update for the direct deposit payroll. You can resolve it by following the below-given steps:
- Close the QuickBooks application in the first place.
- Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub file and save it to a preferred location (like your Downloads folder or your Windows desktop).
- Now, open the downloaded file i.e. QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Further, complete the installation process by following the on-screen instructions and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Once the install finishes, double-click on the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon on your Windows desktop for opening it.
- At last, restart your computer and open your QuickBooks application once again.
Need Help To Fix Error Code 40001!
We hope you have resolved QuickBooks error 40001 by following the troubleshooting methods mentioned in this blog. However, if you’re still having the same issue, then, we would recommend you to get in touch with our QuickBooks Desktop Support to help you with updating your direct deposit payroll. All you need to do is place a call on QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Toll-Free Number +1(855)-955-1942 and our experts will assist you immediately.