After QuickBooks 2021 released the maintenance release R5, the users using Direct Deposit for QB payroll needed to update their account information. It was done as per the New Federal Compliance Rule. They had to update the Principal Officer, Address, Physical Address, SSN, and other business info before a certain date. And if they do not do it, they will get a warning saying, “Update your Payroll Account info by (Date).” However, apart from this, some users are also getting QuickBooks Error 40001 before they submit the updated account info to Intuit.
QuickBooks throws a message on your screen saying, “Error Code 40001: Something’s not right. We are unable to complete your request at the moment.”
This kind of payroll update error can get triggered because of several reasons, like not logging in to QuickBooks as an Administrator or not activating the direct deposit. The other reasons for the QuickBooks Payroll update Error are mentioned in the blog given below, along with the steps to resolve it.
What Are The Causes Of QuickBooks Payroll Account Update Error 40001?
Here, we have listed some of the possible reasons that may trigger QuickBooks error 40001:
- You haven’t logged into QuickBooks as a system administrator.
- The Realm ID doesn’t match the number in the payroll system.
- It takes place due to an outdated QuickBooks desktop application.
- QuickBooks Error Message 40001 can result due to unexpected behavior of the company file.
- You can also face the QuickBooks Payroll Error 40001 if your QB Desktop application or the payroll tax table do not have the latest updates. Learn to update the QB Payroll tax table by referring to our related blog.
You May Also Read: Resolve Common QuickBooks display issues
Troubleshooting Steps To Resolve QuickBooks Error Code 40001
Below we have mentioned some of the effective resolution methods that can help you resolve QuickBooks error 40001:
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop Application
As mentioned, you might end up with QB error code 40001 due to an outdated version of the QuickBooks software, and thus, you must update it to the latest version to fix this error code. Follow the below-given steps to update the accounting application:
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop application in the first place.
- Go to the Help menu and click on Update QuickBooks.
- Now, select the Update Now option and wait until QuickBooks doesn’t install all the updates.
- After that, go to the File menu and click on Exit.
- Open the QuickBooks application once again and click on Yes when selecting the Update Now popup appears.
If the above method didn’t help you resolve QuickBooks error 40001, move to the next one instantly.
Solution 2: Login as an Administrator
At times, while activating the direct deposit, you forget to log in to QuickBooks as a system administrator and this halts the activation process. Thus, make sure that you’re running as an administrator by following the below-given steps:
- Firstly, right-click the QuickBooks Desktop application and select Properties from the drop-down menu.
- Go to the Compatibility tab, and unmark the “Run this Programming as Administrator checkbox.
- Once you find an option that is already unchecked, click on Apply.
- At last, click on OK and restart your system.
Solution 3: Run the Verify/Rebuild Utility tool
At times, your company file might be showing unexpected behavior that leads to QuickBooks error 40001. Thus, to fix it you need to run the Verify and rebuild utility tool as it detects and repairs the issue. To do so, you may follow the below-given steps:
- Open the QuickBooks application and go to the File menu.
- From there, click on Utilities and select Verify Data. Now, wait until the diagnosis is done.
- If some issues are diagnosed, you can proceed to rebuild the company file.
- Again, go to the File menu and Utilities. This time, you have to click on Rebuild Data followed by OK.
- Lastly, complete the process by following the instructions that appear on your screen.
Solution 5: Run the Repair tool to Fix QuickBooks Error 40001
Note: Before you proceed to fix QuickBooks error code 40001 with the below-given troubleshooting steps, make sure to create a backup of your company file. Further, you have to restart your computer. It assures that none of the programs would affect the repair process.
- Click on the Windows icon and go to the Control Panel.
- Now, select the Programs and Features option followed by Uninstall a Program.
Note: If in case, you’re unable to see the Programs and Features option, then, you may select Programs in place of that. And then, select Program and Features.
- After that, you have to select QuickBooks from the list of Programs followed by the Uninstall/Change option.
- Further, click on Continue> Repair> Next.
- Once done, click on Finish.
Note: It’s essential for you to know that the repair process would start right away, but it may take some time to finish. Thus, you must leave it running, and come back once it’s done. You might have to restart your computer to complete the repair process.
- Lastly, you must keep your QuickBooks desktop application updated as per the latest version. It makes sure that you’re using the most recent fixes and security updates.
Solution 6: Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool
QuickBooks error 40001 can occur while trying to do the federal compliance update for the direct deposit payroll. You can resolve it by following the below-given steps:
- Close the QuickBooks application in the first place.
- Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub file and save it to a preferred location (like your Downloads folder or your Windows desktop).
- Now, open the downloaded file i.e. QuickBooksToolHub.exe.
- Further, complete the installation process by following the on-screen instructions and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Once the installation finishes, double-click on the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon on your Windows desktop to open it.
- Then, go to the Installation Issues tab and click on QuickBooks install diagnostic tool. After that, let it check your QB application and installation files.
- At last, restart your computer and open your QuickBooks application once again.
Need Help To Fix Error Code 40001!
We hope you have resolved QuickBooks error 40001 by following the troubleshooting methods mentioned in this blog. However, if you’re still having the same issue, then, we would recommend you to get in touch with our QuickBooks Desktop Support to help you with updating your direct deposit payroll. All you need to do is place a call on QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Toll-Free Number +1(855)-955-1942 and our experts will assist you immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: To create a backup of your company file in QuickBooks, open the app and go to the File menu. Then first Switch to the Single-user mode. And after that, again go to the File menu and hit on Back up Company. Then, hit Create Local Backup, followed by Next.
Ans: To fix the error code 40001 while updating QB payroll, Login to your system as an Administrator, update QB application and Run Verify/Rebuild Tool. The steps for these methods are given in the solution 1,2 and 3 in the above blog.