Users have complained about running into QuickBooks Error 61899 77 while opening or creating a company file. It is a runtime error that arises when the company file can’t be accessed in a timely manner. This error has multiple reasons, such as a damaged company file, multiple workstations accessing the same file in single-user mode, etc. There are similar kinds of errors belonging to the 6189 series, such as Error 6189, Error: 6189 -82, Error 6189 -1005, Error 6189 -85, etc. The error messages that flash on the user’s screen are:-
QuickBooks Error Code 6189 77 QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Reasons for Intuit QB Error 6189-77
Intuit QB Error 6189-77 occurs because of damage in your company file or using the wrong mode to access the file. The complete list of reasons for this error is as follows:-
- Your .ND and .TLG file is either damaged or corrupted.
- Damage in your QuickBooks file.
- Multiple users are trying to access the company file in single-user mode.
- There is a mismatch between the Company file (.QBW) and the Transaction log file (.TLG)
- Incomplete installation of QuickBooks application.
- The system is infected with a virus or malware.
- Essential QuickBooks-related files were deleted accidentally.
Factors to identify QuickBooks Error 6189 77
There are some common factors that you can use to spot any error in QuickBooks. Some common factors for QuickBooks error 6189 include:
- You will not be able to gain access to the company file even after you have restarted the application or even your system.
- Your data file loses connectivity with the QuickBooks application.
- You will receive delayed responses after clicking the tabs or buttons on the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Your screen freezes or crashes on its own when your QB application struggles with the error 6189.
- QuickBooks crashes or freezes upon opening.
Method to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6189 77
There are many different ways to fix QuickBooks error 6189 77, such as renaming TLG files, clean installing QuickBooks using the Clean Install Tool, etc. We will advise you to follow these solutions one by one and check if the error is resolved or not after completing every solution:
Method 1: Terminate the Programs Running Simultaneously
A runtime error generally arises due to programs conflicting with each other. You can stop extra programs through the task manager. These are the steps you need to follow: –
- Press Alt + Ctrl + Del and select Start Task Manager.
- A new window will open up. Click on the Processes tab.
- Select the programs one by one and click on the End Process button.
NOTE: Check if the error is resolved after closing every application. It will help you figure out which application is causing the trouble.
Method 2: Run a Scan to Check for Virus
The presence of malware or virus on your system can lead to QuickBooks error code 6189 77. It will affect applications other than QuickBooks too. Open your antivirus application and process a full scan to check for viruses. If you find any virus, clear it from your system. Each antivirus has its own steps to give a scan command, and thus it is not possible to give you step-by-step directions for the same.
Method 3- Change the name of the Transactional Log File
QuickBooks Error Message 6189-77 can appear on your system if the names of your company file and TLG file are different. You need to go to your TLG file and then rename it. These are the steps you need to follow:-
- Open the folder that has your company file.
- Look for the file having .TLG extension. E.g.- company_file.qbw.tlg
- Right-click on it and select Rename. Add the word OLD at the end of the file name. Eg- Company_file.qbw.tlg.old
- Now rerun your QuickBooks desktop application.
Method 4: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
A damaged application or incomplete installation leads to Error 6189 77 in QuickBooks. Users need to uninstall QuickBooks and then reinstall it. These are the steps you need to follow:-
- Press the Windows Start button and click on the Control Panel.
- Choose Programs and Features or Uninstall a Program.
- Browse through the list and select the QuickBooks version you want to uninstall.
- Then tap on Uninstall/change, click on Remove, and click on Next.
NOTE: Sign out and then sign back in from an admin account if you don’t see this option.
- Now download QuickBooks from a credible site and reinstall it on your system.
Method 5: Reinstall Runtime Libraries
An update, such as the MS Visual C++ package, can lead to QuickBooks Error 6189 77 if it was not installed correctly. Reinstall these applications by following these steps:
- Press the Windows Start button and click on the Control Panel.
- Click on Programs and Features and select Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package from the list.
- Click on Uninstall and then reboot your system.
- Now, download Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package and install it on your system.
Method 6: Reinstalling the Graphic Drivers to fix QB error 6189 77
The presence of a faulty graphic driver can also cause you to face the QuickBooks error 6189 77. To avoid this, you can remove the graphic drivers from your system and download and reinstall them. These are the steps you need to follow to reinstall the graphic drivers:
- First, open the Device Manager.
- Then, look for the graphic driver that you want to uninstall from your system.
- Now, you need to click right on the video card driver.
- Then remove the graphic driver and restart your computer.
- For the last step, download and install a new graphics driver on your computer.
Method 7: Perform Disk Cleanup to fix QuickBooks error 6189 77
Sometimes the systems with full storage do not allow certain applications to function properly. Thus, in such cases, you can free up some space using the Disk Cleanup feature. Follow the given steps to clean the space on your system to fix the QuickBooks error 6189.
- First, make sure to create a backup of your company files before proceeding to clean up your disk space.
- Then, you need to free some space on your hard drive.
- After that, also clear the cache.
- Then reboot your computer, and now you can run the Disk Cleanup.
- For this, you have to open the Explorer window and then click right on the main directory. It would be located in drive C.
- Then, from the drop-down menu, click on the Properties option.
- Lastly, again from the drop-down menu, click on the Disk Cleanup option.
After you have performed these steps, you need to restart your computer to check if you are still facing the QuickBooks error 1689 77.
Method 8: Fix Internet Related Runtime Error to fix QB error 6189 77
In case you are facing this QB error 61899 77 because of your Internet Explorer then you need to reset your web browser. You can also disable the script debugging. So check out the following steps to resolve this issue.
Steps to Reset the Web Browser
Steps for Windows 10 or 8 users
- Click on the search bar and then go to Internet Options.
- There you need to go to the Advanced feature.
- Then, click on the Reset button.
Steps for Windows 7 user
- First, click on the Start menu and head toward the Control Panel.
- Then move to the Internet Options located on the left.
- There, select the Advanced feature and hit the Reset button.
Steps to Disable the Script Debugging
- Again visit the Internet Options window.
- Then move on to the Advanced tab and here search for the Disable script debugging option.
- Here, you need to place a checkmark on the radio icon.
- Also, you have to remove the checkmark given on the Display a Notification about every Script Error option.
- Lastly, after all these steps, click Apply and then OK.
Method 9: Save your Company File on your system’s Local storage
Sometimes, when you save the QB data file online, you may get this QuickBooks error code -6189 -77. So to fix it, you have to move your company file to any folder in C drive that is not part of any cloud folders. After that, access the company file from here without facing any issues or errors.
- First, connect the device to the system in which you have saved the company file.
- Then, copy the company file and save it to the desktop.
- After that, you have to press-hold the Ctrl key and run the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Now, when you get the No Company Open screen, click on the Open/Restore Company option.
- Then, you have to browse and select the company file saved on the desktop and check if you can now access it without the error code -6189 -77 in QuickBooks.
Method 10: Run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
QB Database server manager helps to keep the multi-user network stable while hosting the company file on the network. So, running or restarting the QB Database server can help you fix many of the company file issues.
- First, go to the QuickBooks Tool Hub and find this utility in the Network Issues tab.
- Then, you have to choose the QuickBooks Database Server Manager. If you have not already installed QBDBMgrN on your system, then it will prompt you to do it.
- Then, in the QB Database Manager, click on Start Scan if you find the company file. However, if you do not get your company file there, then hit the Browse option and find your file. Afterward, hit Start Scan.
- It will also repair firewall permissions causing blockages to the QB files. So, after the scan ends, hit the Close button.
- And launch the QB Desktop application on the server as well as workstations.
Remember, you may also get an error saying the QuickBooks Database server not running. If you get so, go through our blog on the same and resolve your issue.
So this has been all about QuickBooks Error 6189 77. We hope these solutions will help you open your company file. If the error still persists after following the above-mentioned solutions, reach out to QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Team at +1-(855)-955-1942 and they can provide you with advanced troubleshooting methods.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, the QuickBooks Error 6189 and Error 6189 77 are the same. Both of these are runtime errors and occur when you try to open or create a company file. These errors will not allow you to access the company file in a timely manner.
To fix the QuickBooks error 6189 77, you can reboot your system along with the server and utilize the QuickBooks Database Server Manager. You can also utilize the Quick fix My Program feature from the QuickBooks Tools Hub. The other methods to fix this error are given in the blog above.
Yes, the encryption software can sometimes become a barrier to communication with company files when the sharing option is switched off. Hence, this can block access to the company file and can trigger the QB error code 6189 77.