Like every other software, QuickBooks also remains at high risk of invasion of bugs into its system. You may see error messages popping up on your screen many times after updating the QB application or sometimes even while updating it. The error may randomly appear on your screen due to some other reasons also. One such error is QuickBooks Error PS101. This error occurs in QuickBooks Payroll when you try to download the latest Payroll table. This message interrupts your working with QB payroll and disrupts your productivity. Thus, it is important to timely resolve this issue. That is why in this blog, we have provided you with a detailed guide about how to fix the QuickBooks error PS101.
Follow the complete article to know more about the Quickbooks payroll update error PS101
QuickBooks error PS101: Description and Error Message
QuickBooks Error PS101 is a payroll error that appears when the user downloads the latest update in the QuickBooks Payroll. The users can face this error if the software settings in their system get misconfigured or incorrect. The error warning message for the QuickBooks Error PS101 says,
“QuickBooks Error PS101: QuickBooks payroll update did not complete successfully. Please try again before the deadline reaches for payroll submission.”
Read the next part for the reasons and solutions for QuickBooks Error PS101.
QuickBooks error PS101: Possible Reasons that trigger it
The main reason that triggers the QuickBooks Error PS101 can be any misconfiguration in the browser settings or poor connection service. However, other reasons can also trigger the QuickBooks Error PS101. These reasons are described below:
- If the Firewall or Anti-virus system on your system is imposing a block over QuickBooks.
- The settings of Internet Explorer on your system are not configured correctly.
- You have installed multiple versions on your device.
- The QuickBooks application on your system is facing some connectivity issues. This disrupts the functioning of the program and causes you to face QuickBooks error ps101.
- You have only partially installed QuickBooks updates.
QuickBooks error PS101: Quick Methods to resolve it
Before adopting any troubleshooting methods, you need to ensure that you have an active payroll subscription. If not, then first get the subscription to QuickBooks Payroll then try to get the payroll update. If you face the QuickBooks Error PS101, then follow the troubleshooting methods.
Method 1: Running the Quick Fix My Program using QuickBooks Tool Hub
QuickBooks tool hub comprises a variety of tools that have different functions. This tool can be used to fix several errors in QB, including QuickBooks Error PS101. However, to fix this particular error use Quick Fix my Program to scan the company files. Follow the given steps to detect the errors or damages in the company file.
- First, start by closing any running QuickBooks screens including the files and folders.
- Next, you need to visit the official website of Intuit and from there download the latest available version of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Once the file gets downloaded, save the file to an easily accessible location such as your desktop.
- Next, double-click on the downloaded QuickBooks Tool Hub file that would be in the .exe extension.
- After that, you need to follow the on-screen wizard to complete the installation process.
- Next, twice, click on the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon on the desktop.
- In the window that opens up, click on the Program Problem tab.
- There, you need to choose the Quick Fix My Program option.
- Once the quick Fix feature scans, diagnoses and fixes the issue with your file, reboot your system.
- Lastly, try to download the latest Payroll Update to check for the error.
Method 2: Configuring Windows Firewall on your system to fix QuickBooks Error PS101.
When the Windows Firewall Settings on your system do not configure according to QuickBooks, then this can cause you to face QuickBooks Error PS101. So, you need to add QuickBooks ports exception and create the Firewall exceptions for Quickbooks to fix this Error. Follow the below-given steps to add exceptions in Firewall settings.
- First, press the Start icon to get the search bar.
- Then, in the search bar, type the word Windows Firewall and then choose the Windows Firewall tab.
- Next, you need to go to the Advanced Settings section from the following window.
- You need to click right on the Inbound Rule option present there.
- Here, choose the option Create a New Rule.
- Now, Press the Port button and then tap the Next option.
- Here, confirm if the TCP option is marked.
- After that, you need to move on to the Specific Local Ports fields and then enter the relevant ports according to your version of QuickBooks. The ports for different versions are given below:
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020: 8019, XXXXX.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019: 8019, XXXXX.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377.
- After entering the ports, you need to click Next again.
- Next, press the Allow the Connection option and then hit Next.
- Next, you need to ensure that all the profiles present there are marked. If yes, then move forward by clicking on Next. But, if they are not selected, then first mark them all, then click Next.
- Next, you need to create the rule and name it. You can name it like QBPorts(years).
- Once done, click on the Finish button and move forward.
- Lastly, repeat all the steps from 1st to 4th but choose the Option Create an Outbound Rule there.
- Once done creating it, Reopen the QB Desktop and then switch to the multi-user mode. Verify if the errorPS101 has been resolved.
Method 3: Install QuickBooks in Selective Startup Mode to fix QuickBooks Error PS101.
The QuickBooks Error PS101 can also occur if any application interferes with the QB processes. But, installing QuickBooks in Selective Startup Mode restricts the other application from hindering its functions and thus reduces the chances of getting errors.
Before proceeding to the troubleshooting resolution, create a backup of your company file and note down your QB product and license info. You will need this when you reinstall QB in the middle of the process.
- First, you need to launch the Run Command. For that, click on the Windows + R keys on your keyboard.
- There, type the word MSConfig and then select OK.
- Next, you need to select the Selective Startup option and then tap on Load System services from the General tab.
- Now, from here, select the Hide all Microsoft Services option from the Service tab.
- Next, you need to choose the Disable all option.
- After that, you need to uncheck the option Hide all Microsoft Services.
- There you need to check the list of all the services and make sure that the Windows Installer option is checked. If the box is not selected, then first select it and then move forward.
- After that, click on the OK option and then select Restart from the System Configuration box.
- After your system gets booted up, clean install your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Once it is installed, return to the default startup mode.
- Reset your system to its default settings after the installation is completed.
- Again, you need a Run command, so press Windows + R keys again.
- Then do the same process, type MSConfig and hit OK.
- Next, Select the Normal Startup option from the General tab menu.
- Now, once again, Restart from the System Configuration box.
Method 4: Run Bat Command to fix QuickBooks Error PS101.
A batch file is a script file consisting of a series of commands to be performed by the command line interpreter. This command re-registers the DLL file in the operating system. So you need to run Bat Command by following the given steps:
- Close your QuickBooks Desktop application and then click right on its icon.
- Now select the Open File location and scroll down a bit.
- Look for a file having the .bat extension in its name and select it.
- Then, you need to run the applications as admin by selecting Runs as Administrator. Once the application starts working properly, the QB Repair Utility will directly turn on the command prompt multiple times.
- Remember not to abort the process until it gets completed.
- You need to remove all the files related to QuickBooks or Payroll. This will initiate the updates to track the software’s exact route.
You also need to repair your Internet connection settings in order to fix the QuickBooks Error Ps101. You can adopt multiple solutions to check any internet connectivity issue that you might be facing. The first one is obviously checking if your WiFi is switched on. You can also try to disconnect and then connect the WiFi again to your system. If you still face the connectivity issue, try connecting to some other network connection. For further assistance, connect a call to our QuickBooks Support Experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
The error message for QuickBooks error PS101 says that your QuickBooks payroll update could not get completed successfully. You need to try again before the deadline reaches for payroll submission.
Following are the ways to fix the QuickBooks error PS10:
1. Running the Quick Fix My Program using QuickBooks Tool Hub
2. Configuring Windows Firewall on your system to fix QuickBooks Error PS101
3. Install QuickBooks in Selective Startup Mode to fix QuickBooks Error PS101.
4. Run Bat Command to fix QuickBooks Error PS101.
You can download the Quickbooks installation file from the official website of Intuit only. This will prevent you from downloading any corrupted files.