QuickBooks has some amazing features to fulfill all your business accounting needs. However, QB is required to always comply with the federal laws of the country. Thus, sometimes in response to the changes in federal law, QuickBooks releases new updates in the application. And users face certain issues while getting those updates. One of those errors is QuickBooks error 40003. Mostly, users face this QuickBooks error code 40003 while trying to get the latest payroll update to avoid any issues with the direct deposit. Are you also one of those users? No need to worry then, this article will clear all your doubts about the error and will give you three effective solutions to fix them.
But first, understand what QuickBooks Error Codes: 40003 means and what causes it to appear, then move on to the solutions part.
What is QuickBooks Error 40003?
QuickBooks Payroll Error 40003 occurs in the payroll section of QuickBooks when a user tries to download its recent updates. The issue is generally triggered by some other device activity that is running in the background. As a result, the download process gets disrupted in the middle, and the users are not able to complete the process. The error message that pops up on the screen reads as, Error 40003, “Unable to access the QuickBooks Company File.”
What causes you to face QuickBooks Error 40003?
The most common reason why you face QuickBooks payroll update error 40003 is unfavorable Windows firewall settings on your device. However, there can also be other reasons for error 40003 which are discussed below:
- Some of the QuickBooks files or components on your device are corrupted.
- You are facing the issue because of some internet connection issues.
- Firewall settings on your device are not configured properly with QuickBooks and thus may result in error code 40003 QuickBooks Desktop.
- You are working on the outdated version of QuickBooks software or Windows Operating System.
- The incorrect setup of the date and time on your system can occasionally cause the error 40003 in the QuickBooks desktop.
3 Effective Methods to getting rid of Quickbooks Error 40003
Once you know the cause of why the QuickBooks Error40003 is triggered in your system you can use the parallel troubleshooting solution to rectify it easily.
1. Try and Use the Verify and Rebuild Data Utility Tool
Some broken components of the QuickBooks software have caused the QuickBooks Error40003 to appear. Thus running the Verify Data and Rebuild Data Utility tools can fix the error.
- Go to the QB Desktop option from the Windows search bar.
- Right-click and opt for the Run as Administrator option.
- Now, in the QuickBooks desktop, go to the File tab and click on the File menu.
- Next, choose the Utilities option from the drop-down menu and then click on Verify Data.
- The tool will take a few minutes to analyze your data file ad identify the problem.
- If there is any specific issue, an error message will pop up and prompt you to rectify that. If there is no issue.
- with your data file, a message will pop up saying “QuickBooks found no problem with your data.”
- But in case there is some issue, you will see a message saying, “Your data has been corrupted.”
- To resolve this, you have to again go to the Utility tab and press the File button again.
- First, copy your company data by tapping on the Rebuild Data option and following the instructions given on the screen.
- Once you complete the process, you have to run the Verify Data utility again to check if the issue is rectified or not.
- Once done, reboot your system and re-download the payroll updates.
Still Confused? Talk to Our Professionals.
Give us a call at +1-(855)-955-1942
2. Change theWindows Firewall Settings
The firewall on your system can sometimes prevent the softwares to perform certain actions for data safety. Similarly, QuickBooks might be on the list for the same. So follow the below-given steps to make an exception for Quickbooks in your firewall settings.
- Tap the Windows icon and open the start menu.
- Search the Windows Firewall in the menu and open a new window.
- Go to the Advanced Settings option and right-click on the Inbound Rules and choose the New Rule option.
- Choose a program and hit the Next button. Now, select This Program Path and press Next.
- You will be shown a list of files, choose the QuickBooks executable files from the list. Repeat the process for all of the QuickBooks files.
- Now, press the Allow the Connection button and hit Next.
- Check the boxes shown in front of each profile and press the Next button once more.
- Now create a new rule and name it QBFirewallException(name.exe) to finish the process.
- Now repeat the same process to create outbound rules for all the QB exe files.
- Lastly, Open the QB desktop application and select the Switch to Multi-User Mode from the File Menu.
3. Manually Update the QuickBooks Desktop.
Sometimes, a sudden drop in the internet speed can interrupt the download in the middle, and thus QuickBooks payroll update error code 40003 can occur. You can rectify the error by manually updating the desktop app.
- Go to the Help section and choose the Update QuickBooks Desktop option from the menu.
- Opt for the Get Updates option by clicking on the Update Now option and ticking the box next to the Reset Update option.
- Do not close the window until the download gets completed.
- Now, go to the Help menu and choose the Update QuickBooks Desktop option from the drop-down list.
- Next, navigate to the Overview menu and select the Update Now option.
- Restart your system once the update gets installed.
4. Verifying the Settings of Internet Explorer
QuickBooks uses Internet Explorer to run its online services in the background and sometimes the settings of internet explorer are not configured with QB and can cause error code 40003 QuickBooks payroll to appear. To rectify the error, ensure the settings are favorable.
- Make Internet Explorer your default browser.
- Set your system’s date and time accurately.
- Ensure the strength of your IE is not below 128 bits.
- Update the Internet Options Settings on your device.
Wrapping it up!!
An outdated QuickBooks desktop application can also cause QuickBooks desktop error 40003 to appear, so always update your QuickBooks software from time to time. You can also run the QuickBooks Tool Hub to run a quick check for your software health. Also, ensure that the date and time on your system are correctly set. To correct them, go to the bottom right corner of your screen and right-click on the displayed time and date. Now select Adjust date/time, and open the settings window. Update the time correctly and restart your system.
Hopefully, these solutions will help you rectify the error 40003 QuickBooks Desktop easily, and if you need any help in between, you can contact our QuickBooks support team at our Toll-Free Number +1-(855)-955-1942.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What does the QuickBooks Error 40003 mean?
QuickBooks error 40003 is a generic error code and occurs while downloading the recent updates for QuickBooks Payroll.
2. What are the warning signs for QuickBooks error 40003?
The QuickBooks payroll update error 40003 message comes up with an error message describing the error. Along with this, it also makes you unable to access certain data files and QB features.
3. How can I review my employees’ payroll information in QuickBooks Payroll?
You can review your employees’ payroll information in QB Payroll in just free steps:
- Go to the Employees menu< Employee Center.
- Then, choose the employee’s name one by one.
- After that click Payroll Info button given on the left.
- Check if the Pay Frequency is set correct.
- Then, select the Taxes button.
- And in the Federal tab, review the Filing Status along with Allowances fields. And Make the required corrections.
- Then Click OK twice.