QuickBooks Error 1618 is one of the errors that show up when you try to update QuickBooks or install it on your PC.
Well, QuickBooks is a sorted application for your accounting needs; however, it is not completely free from errors and glitches. There are certain errors that might impede its installation process and result in other glitches. QuickBooks error 1618 is the same kind of error that flashes on the screen while doing the installation or updation for the application.
The error messages that appear on the screen under the influence of this error are as follows:
“Error:- 1618 Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install.” “There was a problem installing Microsoft Runtime Library (Error 1618).” “Error 1618. Error_install_already_running.”
In the next section, we’ll discuss the possible reasons for this error and easy ways to fix it.
NOTE: Ensure that the version of the QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool you’re using is the newest version. If you already had the device installed, check if it is the 184.108.40.206 version.
Causes Of QuickBooks Desktop Error 1618
There are numerous reasons why QuickBooks Desktop Error 1618 might occur. Some of these causes have to do with the installation, while others could not be directly related yet still cause it. Read it:
- This error might occur if the installation file is not completely downloaded.
- The QB file has become corrupt.
- MSIEXEC.EXE is running in the background on your system.
- This issue can also be caused by Windows registry corruption.
- Error is likely to occur if a crucial application file is destroyed.
- A virus or other malware could hamper the computer’s installation, resulting in the error.
How can you spot QuickBooks Error Message 1618?
Many different errors hamper the installation or update process of the QuickBooks desktop. So to ensure that the error you are experiencing is QuickBooks Error Message 1618, watch out for these signs and symptoms-
- A message with error code 1618 suddenly appears on the screen and freezes any open window.
- Your computer will start crashing for a brief moment.
- Windows’ performance deteriorates to an annoyingly slow level.
- It won’t be possible for you to finish the installation process.
Related Article- Resolve QuickBooks Error 6190 [Unable to open company file]
How To Fix QuickBooks Installation Error 1618?
Now that you know the causes and symptoms of QuickBooks Installation Error 1618, it will be easier to troubleshoot this error. Check out all these options to find a way out of this error-
Step 1: Run The QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
Running the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool should be your first move if you experience any installation problems with QuickBooks. To fix the problem, follow these steps:
- Close the QuickBooks Desktop application if it is open.
- Save the QuickBooks Tool Hub file in a location that is simple to find after downloading it.
- Install QuickBooksToolHub.exe by running the file and following the on-screen directions.
- Click on the Accept “terms and conditions” to finish the installation.
- When QuickBooks is installed, open the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Select the “Installation issues” tab on the window’s left side.
- Select the “QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool” button to launch the utility.
- Then wait for it to finish until QB installation error 1618 has been fixed.
Note: A system diagnosis that fixes the installation error may take around 20 minutes. Wait patiently for the program to start because it will usually take care of the most frequent QuickBooks installation problems on its own. You need to move on to the next step if you continue to receive the issue even after executing this step.
Step 2: Stop MSIEXEC.exe Process
You cannot install any other program if MSIEXEC.exe(a component of the Windows installer), is already operating in the background. You can stop the element by performing the following procedures and install QuickBooks.
- Click Task Manager while holding down Ctrl, Alt, and Delete.
- Activate the Processes tab.
- To alphabetically sort the list of active processes, click the Image Name column.
- Down the list, select any methods with the name MSIEXEC.EXE, then click the End Process button.
- Closing the Task Manager window.
- Now try installing/updating QuickBooks again.
Following this step will help you resolve any process running in the background that may be the cause of QuickBooks Install Error 1618. Follow the next steps if you continue to see the error.
Step 3: Create A Backup For Windows Registry
You can also try to get rid of the error by creating a backup for the Windows registry. The steps you need to take to do so are following-
- On your Windows desktop, click Start.
- In the empty field, type Regedit by pressing Windows + R.
- Next, select Export from the File menu in My Computer.
- Navigate to the Export Range and choose All.
- The Windows registry backup can now be saved to your computer.
- Delete the keys after the backup.
Step 4: Update Windows Installer
An outdated Windows installer may bring on the QuickBooks Desktop Installation Error 1618. Updating the Windows installer is an excellent approach to solve the problem. Here are the specific steps:
- Login to your system as an administrator.
- Now access “My Computer” by clicking on the desktop icon or the “Start” menu.
- Navigate to the Windows folder on the C drive.
- Find the “System32” folder and open it.
- Locate the exe file, then select “Right Click.”
- Click on “Version” after choosing “Properties” from the list of options.
- Look at the Windows installation version on your computer in the new window.
- If the update is available, download it.
- To make the modifications take effect, restart your computer. Then, try installing the application once more.
Step 5: Reinstall Runtime Libraries for Microsoft
- Install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package.
- Open Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) for 32-bit devices and select Download.
- Open Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64) for 64-bit devices and choose Download.
- Save it in a place you can readily locate it.
- Double-click “vcredist_X86.exe” or “vcredist_X64.exe” once it has been downloaded.
- To finish the Download, adhere to the steps as they appear.
- Run Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
These troubleshooting procedures might be able to fix your problem. After trying these solutions, if the error still exists, read the next section.
Step 6: Clean Install in Selective Startup Mode to Fix QuickBooks Desktop Installation Error 1618
If the above solution does not solve the QuickBooks error 1618, you need to try doing a clean installation of the application in safe mode. It will prevent the interruption of third-party applications during the installation process so the reinstallation process can go smoothly. The steps to do this include the following:
Step 1: First, Switch to the Safe Mode
- Begin the process by running the Run dialog box by hitting the Windows + R keys together on the keyboard.
- Then, type the word MSconfig in the search space that appears on the Window.
- Now, you need to press Enter, and then a popup will appear on the screen. Here, on the pop-up, you need to go to the General tab.
- Then, under the General tab, click on the option saying Selective Startup and follow it up with the Load System Services option.
- Once done, you need to move to the Services tab and then click on the Hide all Microsoft Services option.
- Then, choose the Disable all option and uncheck the box against the Hide all Microsoft Services option.
- Now, from the list of services that appears, you need to select the Windows Installer option.
- Then, click OK, and in the system configuration window, choose the Restart button.
Step 2: Now, Uninstall and Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
You need to restart your system, and after that, make sure that you take the backup of your files and then reinstall QB as follows:
- Go to the Control Panel and find the Programs and Features tab.
- Then, choose to uninstall a program and select QuickBooks from the list of applications.
- After that, click QuickBooks and follow the instructions on-screen to finish the uninstallation
- Next, download the clean install tool from an official source; install and run it on the system.
- Then, you have to reinstall the application from a recognized source like Intuit or an installation hard drive.
- Lastly, follow the instructions for the download and installation of the QB application.
Step 3: Now Return to the Normal Mode
Once you have done the reinstall process, go back to the normal mode by the following steps:
- For this step, access the Run window by pressing the Windows+ R.
- Now, type the word MSconfig in the search bar and then hit Enter.
- Then, from the General tab, choose the Normal Startup option.
- Now, reboot your system to implement the changes and see if it resolves the QuickBooks Error 1618 install already running.
Step 7: Use the System File Checker Tool to fix QuickBooks Desktop Error 1618
System File Checker is another useful tool to detect and repair corruption in system files. You can run it as follows to fix the issues with the corrupted or damaged files.
- Go to the Start tab and enter the Command Prompt to open its dialog box.
- Now, once the search results appear, you do not need to press Enter straightaway.
- Instead, you have to right-click the Command Prompt icon and select the Run as Administrator option.
- After you hit this option, a blank black window with a blinking cursor will appear on your screen.
- Here, type the words SFC/Scannow here and then press Enter.
- Now, the System File Checker Utility will run automatically and identify and repair the corrupted Windows files.
- Once done, you can restart your system and implement the changes on your system.
Fixed QuickBooks Error 1618?
If the steps mentioned above have not provided you with the solution to fix this error. We advise you to dial the QuickBooks Data Service Solutions helpline number +1-(855)-955-1942. Also, our experienced professional can listen to and solve your queries. You can get all the assistance you need to fix the error quickly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Although the above-mentioned methods will help you fix error 1618 thoroughly if it doesn’t work for some reason, you can also try- (a) fixing the Windows components manually, (b) using QuickBooks Tool hub, or (c) calling a QuickBooks specialist and get your error rectified.
Yes, before you begin fixing error 1618, keep the following points in mind to secure your data:
1. Back up the essential files and data safely.
2. Update every program related to QuickBooks.
3. Update Windows to the latest version.