Even though the latest updates for the QuickBooks Desktop application provide you access to new features, occasionally, random errors may also appear when you try to use a particular function after updating the application. One such error is QuickBooks Company File Error 6010 100, which occurs while accessing the company file after installing the update. The error restricts your access to company files and thus interrupts your workflow. And thus, it must be eliminated to get back access to the data file.
There can be various reasons behind the QuickBooks Desktop Error 6010 100, which are discussed in detail in the given blog. So, read it thoroughly and rectify the error using the provided methods.
What Does the Error Code 6010 100 Really Mean?
The QuickBooks Desktop Error 6010 100 pops up on the screen when you try to access the company file after completing the installation of new updates. The error message that comes on the screen says, “An error occurred. Your QuickBooks Installation may have been modified. Reinstall QuickBooks and try again (- 6010, – 100).”
The error also does not allow you to switch to the multi-user network, if it was first opened in the Single User Mode. This is because it also says -6010, -100: The company file is hosted by a computer that’s not the server. However, due to other reasons, you might also face the same error even if you are using the server system only. And since the error restricts your access to the company file, your QB application may also crash when you try to access it.
Now, let us look at the reasons why you face the error code 6010 on your system.
What Causes You to Face QuickBooks Company File Error 6010 100?
There might be various possible reasons behind the company file error 6010 100. Some of the primary reasons are discussed below that might be restricting your access and causing error 6010 100.
- There might be some corruption in your company file, and thus, you are facing QuickBooks warning error message 6010 100.
- Your .ND files are disconnected from QuickBooks and .TLG files.
- You might have downloaded a corrupted version of the QuickBooks update. And this might be leading to QuickBooks installation modified error codes 6010 100.
- Quickbooks-related registry entries might have got deleted by any of the registry-optimising applications present on your system.
- Any antivirus might be blocking QuickBooks from reaching out to the server or the system resources.
How To Resolve QuickBooks Company File Error 6010 100?
As the error occurs just after the installation of the new updates, we will check out if there are some issues with the installation itself. After that, we will go through the other solutions if it does not get resolved. So, check out the detailed steps that you need to follow:
Solution 1: Run the Install Diagnostic Tool for QuickBooks
The Install Diagnostic Tool can help you resolve any issue that might appear during the installation of QB. So, run the tool in the following manner:
- First you must download the QB Tool Hub. To know the process of downloading QuickBooks Tools Hub, go through our blog dedicated to this topic.
- Then, after downloading it, open it and go through the Installation Issues.
- Here, select the QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool.
- And then let the tool run, it might take up to 20 minutes to complete the process.
- Now, when the tool finishes the scan, restart your system and restart the QuickBooks Desktop application and open your company file.
- This method should resolve the QuickBooks failed to open file error 6010 100. If the error still persists, then move ahead with the other troubleshooting steps.
Solution 2: Run File Doctor to Rectify Errors from QB Company File
- From the QB Tool Hub, tap on the Company File Issue tab.
- Then, choose the Run the QuickBooks File Doctor option. The tool hub will take about one minute to open the file doctor tool. If you can not open the File Doctor tool in this manner, then search for it and open it manually.
- Then, in the File Doctor, select your company file from the drop-down. In case, you can not find the company file here, hit the Browse button and Search for it in your QB folder.
- Then, tap on the middle option saying Check your file and hit Continue.
- Lastly, provide your QB admin password and again hit Next.
- This will help you resolve issues with your company file, however if it still does not open, check out other solutions.
Solution 3: Copy the Company File to the Desktop
This process will help you access the data file, if the location of your company file has some problem. You can copy your company file to your desktop in the following manner and access it from there:
- Open the folder where you have stored your company file.
- Then, find among the files, the file having the .QBW extension.
- Next, you must right click on the file, then choose the option to Copy it.
- Then, go to your Desktop screen, right-click anywhere on it, then select the Paste option.
- Now, you must hold down the Control key and open the QuickBooks application. This will let the No Company Open window to open on the screen.
- Here, you can choose to Open or restore an existing company.
- So, go to your desktop and find the company file that you pasted and open it.
- If the file opens from here, the actual problem behind the QuickBooks company file error 6010 100 was the location.
- If you still find it hard to open the file, then go to the next method.
Solution 4: Restore a Backup Company File
Restoring your backup copy of your company file will help you fix the issue with your current company file.
- In QB, go to the File tab and select Open or Restore Company.
- Then, select to Restore a backup copy and then Next.
- After that, select the Local Backup option and hit Next.
- Then, browse your system for the backup file. It will look like the company name.qbb.
- After that, choose a folder to save your restored company file and Open it. Do not open your backup in the existing company file folder, or you may overwrite it.
- And when you are ready with the folder, hit Save.
If you get any error while restoring the backup, check multi-user mode settings. Additionally, also check if the path to your company file is not longer than 210 characters.
Solution 5: Rename the .ND and .TLG Files and Run Database Server Manager
Both these files help QB to access the data file over the network or multi-user mode. So you can rename these files and run QB Database Server Manager afterward if you are facing issues accessing the file over the network. When you run QBDBMgrN after renaming these files, QuickBooks re-creates these files when you open your company file.
Step 1: Rename the .ND and .TLG file
- Open the folder having your company file.
- Then find the files having the .ND and .TLG extensions but the same name as your company file.
- After that, click right on each file and hit the Rename button. Then add the word old at the end of each file name.
- After completing these steps, run the QBDBMgrN.
Step 2: Steps to Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- In the tool hub, choose the Network Issues tab.
- Then, hit on QuickBooks Database Server Manager. Then, install the QuickBooks application on your server computer, if it is not yet installed.
- Now, in the database manager, tap on the Start Scan option if you find your company file. And if you don’t, then Browse to the file location and then hit the Start Scan button.
- Then, again open your QB application and access the company file.
However, in case your QBDBMgrN does not run then, read the given blog here.
The QuickBooks Company File Error 6010 100 can be frustrating to resolve, but we tried to provide you with a comprehensive guide to fix it. Follow the solutions given above and try to resolve it easily. However, if you get stuck over anything and require additional help, then don’t forget to get in touch with the experts at Data Service Solution at the Toll-free number +1-(855)-955-1942.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: To avoid the error code 6010 100, make sure that no antivirus application is interfering with QB’s download process before downloading the update. This will help you to avoid any installation issues causing the error.
Ans: QBDBMgrN is a tool that helps to configure the QuickBooks server for multi-user access and manage multiple versions of the QB application at once.