Businesses are bound by certain rules and regulations set by the IRS. They have to pay taxes and file in certain forms as per government norms. Form W-2 is one of these forms used in America in order to report wages paid to employees and the taxes withheld by the employer. Employers are expected to file Form W-2 for every employee they pay salary, wages or other form of compensation to.
QuickBooks offers easy ways to prepare and E-File W-2s With QuickBooks Desktop by the application itself. You can set-up your application pre-hand to create a liability in the name of W-2 Tax. The application will also give you reminders to pay the tax.
Wondering how to E-File W-2s with QuickBooks Desktop in your payroll version? Just reach out to our experts at +1-(855)-955-1942 for best guidance.
Things Required to E-File State W2 Form with QuickBooks
There are three crucial things required by your system in order to E-file state W2 Form with QuickBooks :-
- The QuickBooks application you are using is a supported version.
- A good internet connection.
- The latest QuickBooks Desktop payroll update.
Ways to File W-2s With Various QuickBooks Payroll Service
Intuit files W-2 form themselves for QuickBooks Assisted payroll service users. For QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic and Standard service, users need to manually set-up W-2 forms and then send it to concerned authorities. The users need to set-up the E-file and E-pay feature to electronically file W-2s in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced.
1. E-File W-2s With QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted
It is easiest to E-File W-2s with QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted service as the users are not required to do anything. Intuit will file and mail the W-2 forms to the user’s employee’s address, provided that the delivery option is set to Intuit Print Service. The steps to check these settings are as follow:-
- Go on the Employees menu and select Payroll Center.
- Click on the Fill Forms button.
- Now tap on View/Print Forms & W-2s.
- Put in your Payroll PIN and check if the option is set as Intuit Print or Self Print.
An additional fee would be applicable if Intuit has to mail the W-2s. You also need to ensure that the default option is selected as Intuit Print Service. It can take upto a week for your employees to receive their W-2s forms. You should ask your employees to regularly check their Workforce.
In case the Self Print option is chosen, you need to purchase W-2 paper and print the forms and manually. You also need to mail them to your employees or just hand it over..
2. File IRS W-2 with QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic or Standard Service
Users are required to manually file IRS W-2 with QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic or Standard Service. These forms have to be filled with the IRS and state agencies. Let’s look at the steps to create these tax payment forms that users need to follow:-
NOTE: QuickBooks Payroll Enhanced service users can also manually file W-2s through this method if they are unable to E-file it.
Step 1: Pay and Record All Tax Payment
You need to clear all your tax payments related to which you want to fill the forms or else it will reflect the dues in your books.
Step 2: Prepare and Save Your Payroll Tax Form
- Go on the Employees menu and select Payroll Tax Forms and W-2s, then tap on Process Payroll Forms.
- Click on W-2 form.
- Then tap on Create Form.
- Choose Filing Period from the list and tap on OK.
- Fill in the required information for your form. Enter information that is highlighted in green and cross-check the pre-filled information.
- Tap on Next and review all pages of the form.
- Once you are done, click on Check for Errors, and QuickBooks will reflect any errors on the form. You will have to fix them before you print and save them.
- Once all the errors are fixed, click on Save as Pdf or Print for your Records. Click on Save and Close if you are required to return back to the form.
Step 3- Send The Form to Concerned Authority
After printing the forms you need to go through the instructions page and send them to the concerned agency. W-2 forms are submitted to IRS and state agencies. A copy of it also goes to your Employee.
3. Steps to File W-2s With QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced
W-2s forms are required to be filled with the federal authority as well as the state agency. The steps to file W-2s with QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced are different for both authorities.
E-File State W2 Form with QuickBooks through State Agency Website
You need to follow different steps to file W-2s with QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced based on which state you are using, as each state has its own rules and regulations.
Follow the below-mentioned steps if you are working in these states:-
|District of Columbia||Maryland||New Mexico||West Virginia|
Step 1- Generate the W-2s to send to your state agency
- Go on the Employees menu and tap on Payroll Tax Forms & W-2s, then click on create State W-2 E-file.
- Tap on Continue twice.
- Choose your state from the list and then click on Get QuickBooks Data.
- Fix errors or add any missing information in the form appearing on your screen if required and then tap on OK.
- Go to the Add-Ins tab to find the QuickBooks Payroll State W-2 list, then click on Start Interview.
- Tick Mark the box in front of I understand that I must review my data and answer the following questions. Then tap on Next.
- Note down the filename and location and tap on Next.
- You need to answer the questions in the interview and cross check the auto-filled information.
- Till you reach End of Interview (Tap on Next ).
- Select Create W-2 File and tap on OK.
- Click on Yes to save the Excel workbooks for your own records.
Step 2- Move to your state agency website
Run your Web browser and search through the website of your state tax agency.
NOTE: You must mail your W-2s to the state of Hawaii if you live there.
Step 3- Upload your state W-2s
Once you open your state agency website, you are required to follow the onscreen instructions to upload your file. Some states have certain specific requirements and you need to ensure that your W-2 file meets the requirements.
Steps to follow if you are living in (Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Utah, Virginia or Wisconsin)
- Run QuickBooks Application
- Go on the Employees menu and then select Payroll Tax forms & W-2s, then go on Process Payroll Forms.
- Go to the File Forms section and choose your state worksheet.
- Cross check the Select Filing Period year and make changes to it if required.
- Tap on OK.
- Fill in the W-2 worksheet and click on Check for errors to ensure that all the details are right before you e-file it.
- Now finally tap on the E-file.
- Enter in your email address and contact phone number.
- Tap on Submit.
NOTE: 1. If you are working in New Jersey, You need to follow the State of New Jersey’s instructions to file your state W-2s.
2. If you are working in California, Iowa or New York, You are not required to file a separate state W-2 for the state as they are included with your Federal W-2 file.
3. If you are in Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington or Wyoming, You are not required to file any state W-2s as the state doesn’t apply state withholding tax.
E-File Federal W2 Form with QuickBooks through Payroll Enhanced Service
Your Federal W-2s are submitted to SSA and these are the steps you need to follow:
Step 1: Setup W-2 E-filing
- Run QuickBooks application.
- Go on the Employee menu and select Payroll Center.
- Click on the File Forms tab.
- Go to the bottom of the Other Activities list and select Manage Filing Method.
- Click on Continue.
- Choose Federal Form W-2/W-3 from the list of forms and tap on Edit.
- Click on the E-file radio button and then tap on Finish. Enrollment instructions will open up, you can read and print them out if needed.
Step 2: Create and Submit your W-2 Forms
- Go on Employees tab and select Payroll Tax Forms and W-2s.
- Choose Process Payroll Forms.
- Go to the File Forms section and select Annual Form W-2/W-3- Wage and Tax statement/Transmittal and tap on Create Form.
- Choose the employees. You can also tap on Mark All in order to select all the employees on the screen.
- Ensure that E-File Federal forms is selected in the filing method window.
- Enter in your business phone number and email address.
- Tap on Submit.
So these have been steps on how you can E-File W-2s with QuickBooks Desktop in different payroll services. If you are still unable to complete your task and are stuck somewhere, we will advise you to reach out to our experts at QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Helpline Number +1-(855)-955-1942 and they will guide you in the best possible manner.