Are you perplexed by QuickBooks Error 6143 appearing on your screen? The most likely cause of this error is any damage or corruption in your company file data. Due to this error, QB users won’t be able to open their Company file. There are several reasons that can lead to this error, such as having extra spaces in your company file name or incomplete installation. In this blog, we will discuss the solutions to fix this error according to their causes. Error message 6143 is a database validation error that crashes an active QB program with the error message appearing on your screen:
“Sorry! Something went wrong! Please try starting over.”
QuickBooks Desktop Error 6143 can cause problems in accessing company files. If you are facing a similar error and don’t know what to do, contact an expert at +1(855)-955-1942.
Causes and Effective Troubleshooting for QuickBooks Error Code 6143
Before you begin troubleshooting, make sure you have the most recent version of QuickBooks Desktop. Also, turn off the hosting feature on all the workstations in your network except the server hosting the company file. If QuickBooks Error 6143 persists, consider the following reasons and possible solutions:-
Cause 1: Damage in QuickBooks Application
A problem with your QB application could be the cause of your inability to view your company file. You must ensure that the application is working properly and the issue is with your file. You’ll have to repair or reinstall your application if it’s broken. This will necessitate a variety of troubleshooting techniques.
NOTE: Jump on the solutions mentioned below if your sample company file open without any error.
Solution: Open a sample Company File
Opening a sample company file is the easiest way to know whether the problem lies with your application or your company file. If the sample file opens up without any issue, your company file is at fault. Follow these steps to run a sample file:
- Press the CTRL key and double-click on the QuickBooks icon present on the desktop.
- QuickBooks will open in the No Company File window, click on Open a Sample File.
- Select any file from the list and double-click on it.
Cause 2: Company File Damaged
The Primary reason for QuickBooks Error Code 6143 is Damaged or corrupted company file. It can be due to a malware attack or a corrupted entry.
Solution: Use QuickBooks File Doctor
NOTE: QuickBooks File Doctor Tool is highly useful for 6000 error series.
QuickBooks File Doctor is the most popular and effective program for repairing file damage and network problems. It can be accessed from the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Recent QB versions have Tool Hub as a built-in feature, but you may have to download the stand-alone application if you are using an older version. Check if you have the QuickBooks Tool Hub within the application and act accordingly. Then follow these steps:-
- Run QuickBooks Tool Hub and choose Company File Issues.
- Tap on Run QuickBooks File Doctor and wait for a minute. It takes some time to open up.
NOTE: Search for QuickBooks File Doctor and run it manually if it does not open up.
- Go through its list and select your company file. You can also use the Browse and Search option to find your file.
- Tap on Check Your File and click Continue.
- Type in your QB password and tap Next.
Now, wait for the scanning process to get over, it may take up to 5 minutes based on the size of your file. Once the process is over, rerun your company file and check if the error is resolved.
Cause 3: Wrong Format of Company File Name
QuickBooks Desktop Error 6143 may occur if you have used too many spaces in the name of your company file. QB finds it difficult to read and open.
Solution: Remove Spaces and Special Characters
You need to remove any extra spaces from your file name. Apply the following instructions:
- Logout and then close the QB application from all the systems and servers in the network.
- Open the QuickBooks installation folder on the server, which contains your company file.
- Generally, you can find your file by following this path– C:\Users \Public\ Public Documents\ Intuit\QuickBooks\ Company Files.
- Find your company file and then right click on it, and click on Rename.
- Now remove any extra unrequired spaces from the company file name and the Company file extension and Press Enter.
- Now rerun the QuickBooks application and try to open your company file.
See if error message 6143 is resolved or not.
Cause 4: Location of Your File is Damaged
QuickBooks is unable to open your company file at times because it can’t access the location where it is placed. A malware infestation can also damage the location at times.
Solution: Accessing Company file from desktop or a different Computer
There are two solutions to follow if the issue is with the location of your company file. You can paste the company file on the desktop and open it from there. The other option is to paste the entire folder on a different system.
Accessing Company File from Desktop
- Open the folder that contains your company file.
- Find the file ending with .QBW extension.
- Right-click on the file to select Copy.
- Now Go to the desktop, right-click anywhere on the screen select Paste.
- Now press the Ctrl key and double click on the QuickBooks icon.
- Click on Open or restore an existing company in the No Company Open window.
- Browse through it and open the company file you pasted on the desktop.
Copy the Company File on different Computer
- Insert a removable storage device in your computer.
- Now Go to your QuickBooks installation folder and find your company file.
- Right-click on it and select copy.
- Open the removable storage device folder. Paste your company file there and then eject the device from that system.
- Now, connect the USB in a system having the same version of QuickBooks as your host computer and paste the file on the desktop.
- Open QuickBooks in the No Company Open window and try to open the file you pasted on the desktop.
If you can access your company file, the problem is not with your company file but with its location.
Causes 5: Firewall and Antivirus is Blocking QuickBooks Access
QuickBooks can be detected as a threat by Windows Security, and the firewall prevents it from connecting to other workstations. QuickBooks Error 6143 can appear on your system if the firewall is blocking access from the host computer.
Solution: Create A Windows Firewall Exception For QuickBooks Desktop
Windows security will not interfere with the working of QuickBooks if you have created an exception for it. Follow these steps in order to do so:
- Tap on the Windows Start button and open Windows Firewall.
- Tap on Advanced Settings.
- Right-click on Inbound Rule and tap on New Rule. (You will have to create Outbound Rules later)
- Tap on Program and click Next button.
- Now click on This Program Path to select Browse.
- Choose one of the executable file mentioned below. And then click on Next.
- If asked, make sure that all files are marked and click on Next.
- Create a rule and give it distinguishable name such as ‘QBFirewallException(name.exe).’
|AutoBackupExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|Dbmlsync.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|DBManagerExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|FileManagement.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|FileMovementExe.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QuickBooksMessaging.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBW32.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBDBMgrN.exe||C:\Program Files\Intuit\QUICKBOOKS YEAR|
|QBServerUtilityMgr.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBCFMonitorService.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBLaunch.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks|
|QBUpdate.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate|
|IntuitSyncManager.exe||C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Sync|
|OnlineBackup.exe||C:\Program Files\QuickBooks Online Backup|
You may also like: 3 Solutions You Must Know To Fix ‘QuickBooks Error 185’
Seek Experts help to fix error message 6143!
QuickBooks Error 6143 occurring on your system should be fixed by following the above-mentioned solutions. If your error is still not resolved, we will advise you to reach out to our experts at QuickBooks Data Service Solutions helpline number +1(855)-955-1942 for instant resolution.