While operating QuickBooks, you may face some common errors popping up on your screen frequently. The majority of times, the reasons for these errors are some technical misconfigurations in QuickBooks. But sometimes, other applications or Windows can also cause these errors to appear. One such common error in QuickBooks is QuickBooks Error H303. The appearance of this error H303 on your screen indicates the restricted communication process of the company file due to firewall protection. However, the error is pretty simple to troubleshoot and involves some simple steps. These troubleshooting steps are discussed in detail in this article.
What is the meaning of QuickBooks Company File Error H303?
QuickBooks Error H303 is a part of the QB H series error and appears when the company files needed to be accessed are located on another system. When your QuickBooks Company file requires additional configuration for you to work on it, it will trigger the QuickBooks Error Code H303 on your system.
The error message associated with this Error is displayed on the screen as
Error code: H303 This company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting.
The symptoms, causes, and troubleshooting methods for Error Code H303 in QuickBooks are given in the next part.
What are the common signs of QuickBooks Company File Error H303?
QuickBooks not only warns about the error by displaying the error messages but indicates its occurrence in multiple ways. Most of the users fail to notice these indications, and this leads to complicating the error more. However, you should never ignore these symptoms and should always be cautious if you notice something weird in your QuickBooks or even your system. The common symptoms that indicate the occurrence of the Error H303 include-
- Frequent freezing or slowing down of your QuickBooks desktop application.
- Facing issues while opening QuickBooks Company file.
- Facing troubles while operating the multi-user mode in QuickBooks also indicates QuickBooks Company File Error H303.
- The operating system on your system is creating issues.
- If the error message with error code H303 pops up on your screen, it is a clear indication of QuickBooks Error Message H303.
What are the common causes of QuickBooks Desktop Error H303?
Any kind of issue with the multi-user set-up of your entire system can cause you to face QuickBooks Desktop Error H303. However, some common causes can also trigger the same error. These are described below:
- Misconfigured hosting settings are the main reason behind the Error H303.
- Some damaged or corrupted QB component files like the Network Data file (.ND) and the Transaction Log file (.TLG) file can also trigger the error H303 in QuickBooks.
- If your QB application is not able to fetch the IP address of the server computer, it may display the H303 error.
- You may have inactive QuickBooks Components like QBFC Monitor Services or QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Your System’s Firewall may cause some interruptions that can sometimes trigger Error Code H303.
- When the server or the workstation has an unstable or broken network between them, this issue may arise.
What are the main troubleshooting methods for QuickBooks Error H303?
To resolve the QuickBooks Error H303, you need to check the QB hosting settings configurations. The other method involves running QuickBooks Database Server Manager. Follow the given steps for troubleshooting error H303.
Method 1: Install QuickBooks File Doctor to rectify QuickBooks Error Code H303
QuickBooks File Doctor can help you to resolve the QB error H303 as it can repair the general issues with the company file and network setup. Follow the given steps to run QB File doctor to fix Error H303.
- From the QuickBooks Tool Hub, you need to move to the Company File Issues tab.
- Next, you need to click on the QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Once QB File Doctor Tool opens, you need to select the company file from the drop-down menu. You can browse the folder to search the file.
- Once you find the file, click on the Check your File option and then hit Continue. (The check your file option will be present in the centre.)
- Then, you need to enter your QuickBooks admin password and then select Next.
- The tool will thoroughly scan the company file. It will fix any issue in the company file causing you to face QuickBooks Error H303.
Method 2: Configuring the Firewall Settings on the Server to rectify QB Error Message H303.
Windows Firewall software is used to protect the system from threats and scan the data sent to or by the system. However, sometimes the firewall detects the QB as a threat and restricts its access to the company files. Thus, you need to configure the Firewall Settings for QuickBooks. The steps for configuring the Firewall Settings are given below:
- First, start by opening the Windows Firewall from the Windows Start button.
- Next, you need to go to the Advanced Settings option and then click right on the Inbound Rules option.
- After this, you need to choose the New Rule option there.
- Next, click on the Port and then hit the Next button.
- Here, You need to select the TCP option.
- After that, enter the specific port names into the Specific local ports option as per your QB Version.
- The QuickBooks ports for different versions include:
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020: 8019, XXXXX.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019: 8019, XXXXX.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382.
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377.
Where *XXXXX is the dynamic port number for QuickBooks Desktop later version.
- After entering the port number, and then click on the Next option.
- Now, select the Allow the Connection option and then the Next button.
- If you are prompted, then make sure to verify that all are marked. After that, tap Next.
- Next, create a new rule. Make it QBPorts(year).
- Once done creating it, click on the Finish button.
Furthermore, you can also create new settings with the firewall authentication to fix QB Error H303:
- For that, start by simply opening the Control Panel on your system.
- Then, move to the Firewall Authentication Settings.
- Here, you need to choose the Allow a program through the firewall option.
- It will display an exception list; here, you need to choose Add Programs option.
- Next, add QuickBooks 20xx there. (xx would be the version of QB.)
- Lastly, complete the entire process and then restart your device to execute the changes.
Method 3: Change the location of the QuickBooks Folder to rectify QuickBooks Error Code H303.
- First, start by creating a new folder.
- Then, you need to set and permit it the windows access permission. This will allow you to access and share all the company files easily.
- Now, you need to mark and copy the .qbw folder.
- Next, you need to paste the copied folder into the new folder.
- Now, you are all set to run and access the company files with the multi-user mode.
Method 4: Verify the Hosting Services on your server to rectify QuickBooks Multi-user Error H303.
The services like QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService play an important role. So it is important for these services to run on your server computer.
- Go to the Start menu of Windows. There, type Run and then hit Enter.
- Next, you need to type msc into the Run Window.
- Now, search for the QuickBooksDBXX file and double-click on it.
- You need to select the Automatic option for the Startup Type.
- Next, you need to verify if the service status for this service is Running or Started. If it is not, choose Start.
- After that, click on the Recover tab and then on Restart the Service from the drop-down menu. (There would be three down menus namely, First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures.)
- Lastly, you need to hit Apply button followed by OK.
Follow the below-given steps for Windows 8 and Above
- Press the Windows+R key together on your keyboard to get the Run command Box.
- Next, type the word Services.msc in the windows that just opened.
- Next, scroll down the list and look for the QuickBooksDBXX.
- After that, you need to double-check the QBDBXX service. If the standing mode is already running, then this will lead to the repair automatically.
- If by chance these steps cause you to face any issues. Just click on the Recovery tab and then select the QBFCMonitor services.
You need to repeat the above-mentioned steps for the QBCFMonitorService.
Once you perform the same steps with QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService, you need to open QuickBooks on each workstation. Then, from the File option, you need to select the Switch to Multi-user Mode. If it switches to the multi-user mode, the QuickBooks Error H303 is resolved.
Method 5: Add Services to the Windows Admin Group on your server to rectify QuickBooks Company File Error H303.
If you have not enabled the multi-user hosting for the QB services that require it to work properly, you will definitely face QuickBooks Company File Error H303. To enable these services, follow the given steps:
- Right-click on the company file folder on your system.
- Then go to its Properties, then Security and then click on Edit.
- Next, you need to click on Allow option to give Full Control to the QBDataServiceUserXX.
- Lastly, click on Apply to save changes, followed by OK.
As further precautionary measures, you can also set the Windows access permissions to share company files
- First, open File Explorer or just press the Windows + E key it will open directly.
- Next, click right on the folder that has the Company file saved in it.
- There, go to Properties and then Sharing option and then finally tap on the Share Add option.
- Next, search for your corresponding version of QBDataServiceUserXX. And set its permission level to Full Control.
- Finally, need to click on the Share option.
The Final Note
The above-listed methods can easily resolve the QuickBooks Error H303. However, you should also try to check the settings of your QuickBooks. For that, first, open the QB in multi-user mode, then choose the selected folders on both systems. Next, click on the Utilities menu and then mark the Stop Hosting Multi-user configuration. Next, you need to click on the Turn on hosting option from any of the systems. Then you need to go again on the utilities and use the Host Multi-user configuration. Finally, restart both of your systems with new configuration settings. For additional support call us for guidance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: The error message for QuickBooks Error H303 says that
This company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting.
Ans: You can set QuickBooks Database Server Manager in the following two ways:
1. Server Only: Here in this method you will only install the Database Server Manager on the server computer.
2. Full Program: In this method, the entire version gets downloaded. This includes QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Ans: The different methods to rectify QuickBooks Error H303 are-
1. Installing QuickBooks File Doctor to rectify QuickBooks Error H303
2. Changing the location of the QuickBooks Folder
3. Configuring the Firewall Settings on the Server
4. Adding Services to the Windows Admin Group on your server