Quickbooks offers a variety of services to businesses to help them with their accounting needs. One of those services is the QuickBooks payroll subscription which gives real-time updates and data syncs. All of these payroll services can come to a halt because of Quickbooks EWS UEXP Error. This error is specifically related to the desktop version of the application, and the error message seen is-
“We are having difficulties verifying your account status. Error=UEXP”
You can run into QuickBooks EWS UEXP Error either when you Download QuickBooks Desktop payroll updates or activate retail payroll. There are different ways of attending both of these situations.
When error UEXP arise while trying to download QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Updates-
What are the Causes?
QuickBooks Desktop Error UEXP that arise while trying to download QuickBooks Desktop payroll updates are majorly caused due to three different reasons. They are as follow:-
- You are using an outdated version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- An e-File or e-Pay in your current company file has become outdated after you upgraded your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Payroll subscription is not active in the QuickBooks Desktop company file.
Solution 1- Update your QuickBooks Application
As we mentioned above that an outdated version of the application is one reason for QuickBooks Desktop Error UEXP. The simple way to fix this issue is to upgrade your application-
- Close down your company file and then shut down QuickBooks.
- Click on the Windows start menu.
- Look for QuickBooks Desktop and then right-click the icon, choose Run as administrator.
- No Company Open screen will pop up, now go to the Help tab and then select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now open the Options tab. Choose Mark All and then tap on Save.
- Select the Reset Update checkbox on the Update Now tab.
- Once you’re ready, choose to Get Updates.
- Wait for the updates download to finish and then close down QBD.
- Now Restart the application and tap Yes on Install now pop-up.
- Wait for the installation process to get over and then restart your system.
Solution 2- Remove Old e-Pay and e-File from Company File
We mentioned that few e-Files and e-Pay in a company become outdated when we update our application, and thus, the error arises. Follow these steps to remove those outdated files and pay-
- Firstly create a backup of your company file.
- Tap on the Employees menu and then choose My Payroll Service. Now click on the Manage Service key.
- Highlight the appropriate payroll service in the QuickBooks Service Keys. You need to follow these actions:-
- For QuickBooks Desktop Direct Deposit user:– Select Edit. Tap on Next and then Finish.
- For those who don’t use QuickBooks Desktop Direct– Select Remove. Press Alt+0 on the Manage Service Key window in order to directly remove payroll service.
- Select Yes for the next two messages. This will remove all the old e-File and e-Pay agreements from the company file.
Now you are safe to enter your new service key (or existing, if applicable) that is useful for the QuickBooks Desktop environment.
When error UEXP arise while activating Retail Payroll:-
In case you are getting this error despite being connected to the internet while you are trying to activate a retail payroll subscription, there is a high possibility that the error is caused because of disabled license or special characters in Company name, legal address, Charts of Accounts or the contact name.
Solution 1- Check for special characters in Company name, legal address, Charts of Accounts or Contact name
QuickBooks has a list of acceptable characters, and in case any other special character is used, QuickBooks Payroll Error UEXP might arise. The list is as follows:-
- Alpha-numeric: A-Z, a-z, 0-9
- Comma: ,
- Dot or period: .
- Question mark: ?
- At symbol: @
- Ampersand: &
- Exclamation point: !
- Number/pound sign: #
- Single quote: ‘
- Tilde: ~
- Asterisk: *
- Space: ( )
- Underscore: _
- Minus sign/hyphen: –
- Semi-colon: ;
- Plus sign: +
If your company name contains any special character other than those mentioned in the list, you need to change them. Follow these steps in order to do so –
- Tap on Settings and choose Company Settings.
- Select Company from the left menu.
- Choose Edit in the Company Name section in order to edit the entry.
- Erase all the invalid special characters.
- Tap on Save and then Done.
Check your lists by using the left menu and look at the sales, Expenses or Employees centres. Look for any special character present there and make changes if required.
All other lists can be accessed by clicking the Settings button in the Toolbar, then All Lists. Examine each list for any entries with special characters in their names and make any necessary changes.
Solution 2- Check for the Validity of your Application
Look for the validity of your QuickBooks license. You will have to repurchase the subscription in case the validity has relapsed. If your subscription is still valid yet it shows that your license is disabled, you can contact us.
Get Professionals Help!
So this has been all about QuickBooks UEXP Error. We discussed the two different situations where a user can run into it and what are the possible solutions to fix the error. QuickBooks has many other features that can help you streamline your accounting activities. All big and small businesses should adopt this application as it can help them a lot. If due to any reason, you couldn’t fix this issue, then we would suggest you reach out to our experts by giving us a call on QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Helpline Number +1-(855)-955-1942.