At times, while opening the QuickBooks Desktop you might come across QuickBooks Error -6177, 0. Well, it’s one of the company file issues that may also take place while creating or accessing a company file. Whenever you create a new company file in QuickBooks, it gets saved in the company file folder whereas the path of the company file is saved in QuickBooks. While trying to access the file, QuickBooks Desktop locates the file and opens it for you. However, in case, if the company file is moved to a different folder or location, QuickBooks is unable to access it, resulting in error code 6177 0. To resolve this issue, you have to move your company file to a different location.
Need advanced solutions to fix QuickBooks company file error 6177 0? Reach out to our experts by giving us a call on our Toll-Free Number +1-(855)-955-1942.
Troubleshooting Steps to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6177?
There are two conditions i.e. whether you’re using the full version of QuickBooks or not, under which you can resolve the QuickBooks Error -6177, 0 with different methods. We have listed the steps for the conditions ahead:
Condition 1: When you aren’t using Full Version of QuickBooks
If you haven’t installed the full version of QuickBooks on your server computer, then, in that case, you must follow the below-given steps. But before you begin to resolve error 6177, 0 In QuickBooks, make sure to keep your QuickBooks desktop updated as per the latest available version (QBDB31).
Step 1: Update your File Location
Make sure to change the location of your company file if you have stored it on the server, an external hard drive, or in the cloud. Therefore, you have to move your file to your local drive and back again to where it was. For doing so, proceed with the below-given steps:
Note: We would suggest you perform these steps on your server computer. If for any reason, you don’t have access to it, you can follow these steps on one of your workstations.
- Click on the Windows icon and type File Explorer in the text field and press the Enter key.
- It will open File Explorer, search and open your QuickBooks folder.
- Find your company file, which ends with QBW. It should look like this: [company name].qbw.
- Make sure to note down the drive name and location. Also, you’ll put the file back here later on. Here’s an example:
- Now, you have to move your company file from this folder to your C: drive.
Note: You just have to move the file, not the whole folder.
Create a portable company file and restore it to your server
By following the above steps, you’ll be able to move your company file on a local drive. After doing so, you can create a portable company file which is a compact version of your financial data. The below-given steps will help you in doing so:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop on the computer where you have moved your company file.
- Then, select Open or restore an existing company option.
- Browse for and open the company file you moved to your C: drive.
- Create a portable company file.
- This creates a portable version of your company file that also resets your file location data.
- Select the File menu and select Quit QuickBooks. Then reopen QuickBooks.
- Go to the File menu and then select Open or Restore Company.
- Select Restore a portable file and then select Next.
- Find and select the portable company file (QBM) you created. Then select Open and Next.
- For the restore location, select the drive you originally moved your company file from. You wrote this down earlier.
- Select Save. This puts your company file back on your network.
- Select the File menu and select Quit QuickBooks.
Step 2: Download & run File Doctor on your Server
There might be some damaged company files due to which you may end up with issues like QuickBooks Error -6177, 0. In such case, you need to clean up these company files. For that, you can download and use the QuickBooks File Doctor tool. It will scan all your damaged data and later repair it. Along with that, it will also refresh the location of your company file.
Note: If File Doctor resolves your issue, we would suggest you create a backup of your company data.
Step 3: Manually fix the File Path
A: Find your ND File
.ND file is a configuration file that is used to open the company file over the network. If you delete the network configuration file once before starting QuickBooks, it forces it to recreate a fresh copy of the files that might fix QuickBooks Error -6177, 0 while opening the company file.
- Open File Explorer on the server computer and search for the QuickBooks folder.
- Find the file that has your company name and .ND at the end. It will look like this: [MyCompanyFileName].qbw.nd.
- Right-click the .ND file and select Delete.
B: Configure QuickBooks Database Server Manager
With QuickBooks Database Server Manager, you can access the company file located on the server and may also fix QuickBooks Error -6177, 0.
- If you haven’t, make sure to download and install the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Click on the Windows icon on your server computer and type Database in the text field.
- Open QuickBooks Database Server Manager and select the QuickBooks folder holding your company files.
- After that, click on Start Scan and once it completes, select Close.
- Lastly, you have to set folder permissions to share the company files.
Condition 2: If you have the full version of QuickBooks on your Server
You may proceed with the below-given steps if you have the full version QuickBooks Desktop installed on your server computer i.e. not just Database Server Manager:
Step 1: Reset multi-user Hosting
- Open QuickBooks on your server computer and go to the File menu.
- From there, click on Utilities and select Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option.
- Further, click on Yes to confirm.
- Again, go to the File menu and select Quit QuickBooks. It will reset your hosting settings.
- Open the QuickBooks application once again and go to the File menu and hover over Utilities.
- Then, select Host Multi-User Access option and click on Yes to confirm.
- Lastly, go to the File menu and select Quit QuickBooks.
Step 2: Move your company file to your server’s local Hard Drive
If your company file isn’t on your server’s local C: drive, move it and create a portable company file.
Step 3: Create a new Folder for QuickBooks
- Open File Explorer and search for your QuickBooks folder.
- After that, create a new folder on your server’s local C: drive and give it a name.
- Copy everything including your new portable company file in your QuickBooks folder and paste it into the new folder.
Step 4: Reopen QuickBooks
- Open the QuickBooks application and select Open or restore an existing company option instead of selecting a company from the list.
- Then, click on Open a company file option followed by Next.
- Open the portable company file (QBM) that you moved to the new folder.
To make sure, QuickBooks Error -6177, 0 is fixed, you can try opening QuickBooks on all of your computers.
Find An Expert To Fix Intuit Error Code 6177, 0!
We hope the troubleshooting steps listed in this blog would have helped you fix QuickBooks Company File Error 6177 0 without much hassle. However, if you get stuck with this issue due to any reason, we would suggest you give us a call on QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Helpline Number +1-(855)-955-1942.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can fix the QuickBooks error 6177 0 by
1. Moving the Company File to your Local Hard Drive.
2. Deleting QuickBooks Network Data (.ND) File.
3. Moving the QuickBooks Installation Files to a New Folder.
4. Resetting the multi-user hosting.
To delete the QuickBooks ND file to fix QuickBooks Error 6177, 0, go to the Windows file explorer and then to the folder having the QuickBooks installation folder. Then look for the file with .ND extension and delete it. This ND file will have the same name as your company file.
You can configure the QuickBooks database server manager by going on it through the Programs option after clicking on the Start button. There you can click on the Add folder button and then select the folder with the QB company file. Lastly, you have to opt for the Scan button and let it scan the company file. After everything, click on the Close button.