At times, QuickBooks users might face issues in exporting data to excel, which further makes you unable to Export to Excel from QuickBooks. Exporting QuickBooks to excel is not a complicated process, but technical errors may appear in a few rare cases. You can face two cases: QuickBooks crashes when exporting to excel or QB freezes when exporting to excel. The issue is mainly observed when you upgrade the QuickBooks software, and the export to Excel option is either grayed out or is not clickable. Or when the accounting software is unable to recognize excel that is installed in the user’s system. If you are also dealing with the same issues while exporting forms and reports from QB in Excel format, then follow the solutions listed in the article to regain access to the QuickBooks export to Excel feature quickly.
Wondering why QuickBooks Export to Excel not Working and need solutions to fix it? If that’s so, reach out to our experts by giving us a call on our Toll-Free Number +1-(855)-955-1942 and get immediate assistance.
Why Am I Unable To Export Data From QuickBooks To Excel?
QuickBooks users may face this unable to export to excel from QuickBooks error, mainly when the QB application is unable to recognize the excel that is installed in their system. This happens when the user updates the QuickBooks desktop application. However, there are several other reasons also that make you unable to export data from QuickBooks to Excel. To help you get aware of all these, we have listed the possible causes below:
- Outdated QuickBooks application.
- Another reason is partial or incomplete software updates.
- You might be unable to export to Excel from QuickBooks due to damaged MS Excel software.
- Many times, the export option for Excel is grayed out due to Windows User Account Controls settings.
- Your system fails to meet the minimum system requirement to run QuickBooks Desktop application.
Reasons that lead to the Unable To Export To Excel From QuickBooks issue in MAC
The main reason why the users face this Export issue in MAC is that their system does not require the specific requirements for QB application to work. These specifications are:
- Mac 2016 R5 or earlier version Mac OS 10.10.2 are required for QuickBooks.
- Intel Core Duo or higher is also suggested.
- 2 to 4 GB RAM is the basic requirement.
- You also need at least 250 MB of disk space.
- To print forms using QuickBooks Payroll, you also need an active internet connection and an updated version of Adobe Reader.
Steps To Fix QuickBooks Online Export To Excel Not Working Error
Of all the following ways that help you fix being unable to export to Excel from QuickBooks, one of the common ways is to re-register all the keys with Microsoft, by reinstalling or by merely repairing Microsoft office. It will enable the software to identify that excel is present on the computer. However, if this doesn’t work, you can proceed with the below-mentioned troubleshooting solutions:
Note: Instead of using the web browser version, make sure to use the version installed on your system if you’re using Microsoft Office 365.
Step 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop
Make sure to keep your QuickBooks application updated as per the latest release. It ensures that your application works in its optimal state. Moreover, right after you update, open QuickBooks and export a report by following the below-given steps:
- Firstly, go to the Reports menu after opening the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Then, open any report on the list and select the Excel option.
- There, you will see all the export options, including Excel as well.
Step 2: Check QuickBooks system requirements
Being a QuickBooks user, you must know that each version of QuickBooks Desktop works best with a specific version of Microsoft Office. So, to get sure about the basic system requirements for your version of QuickBooks, you can check by clicking on the mentioned links: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021.
However, if due to any reason your version of Microsoft Office isn’t compatible, then you must upgrade your application to a suitable QuickBooks version. If your version is compatible, and the QuickBooks online export to Excel does not work error persists, then you must jump to the next step.
Step 3: Repair Microsoft Office
If the MS Office applications like Word or Excel do not work correctly on your system, then sometimes restarting the application can fix the issue. However, if it does not work that way, you need to repair it to resolve the issue. And after you are done repairing it, you need to restart your system. The steps to access the repair tool may vary depending on the operating system you use.
For detailed information on how to repair Microsoft Office, you can proceed with the steps mentioned here. Once repaired, you must go back to QuickBooks and export a report to fix unable to export to Excel from QuickBooks.
Step 4: Try the Correct Method to Export to Excel from QuickBooks.
Sometimes, if you use the wrong technique to export to the Excel file, then also this issue gets triggered. Then you need to follow the standard procedure to export the Excel files from QuickBooks and avoid getting errors.
- First, go to the Customer Center, and then from the Transaction Pane, you need to choose Transactions.
- After that, you have to go to the Transaction journal available in the Transaction list and select a transaction.
- Then you need to tap on the Excel button, create a new worksheet and then export this to excel.
- And then make sure that you have first opened the Item List and then your report.
- Now, select the List and open the Item List from there.
- Next, from the Report Menu, choose and open the Report you want to open.
- Then, click on the Email option and choose the Export to Excel option.
- Lastly, select from the two options, either Email or Email as Excel Form, from the drop-down list.
Step 5: Change Windows User Account Controls (UAC)
If, even after following the above step, you’re unable to Export to Excel from QuickBooks, then you must try to toggle on and off the Windows UAC settings on your system. It will reset anything that is blocking the export feature. To do so, you must proceed with the below-given steps:
Note: These steps work best for Windows 7, 8, and 10 users.
- Click on the Windows icon and type User Account Control Settings into the search field. Then, open User Account Control Settings.
- Now, select and move the slider to Never Notify. Then select OK.
- Lastly, try to restart your computer.
Once done, you must go back into QuickBooks and try to export a report. If you can export, it means QuickBooks excel export not working issue is fixed. However, if you are still unable to export to Excel from QuickBooks, move on to Step 6.
Step 6: Reinstall QuickBooks
Before you install QuickBooks, it’s essential for you to install Microsoft Office and Excel on your computer. If due for any reason, you haven’t installed Microsoft Office, then you have to first uninstall and reinstall QuickBooks Desktop using the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool. Once done, go back into QuickBooks and export a report. If you’re unable to export to Excel from QuickBooks even then, uninstall and reinstall Excel.
Steps To Uninstall Office
The steps to uninstall Office depend on the installation type that you have. However, the most common installation types are Click-to-Run and Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI). Further, you need to follow the below-given steps:
- Click on the Windows icon and open the Control Panel.
Note: How you open the Control Panel, depends on the Windows version that you have.
- Type the text control panel in the search box on the taskbar and then select Control Panel.
- Select Programs> Programs and Features.
- Right-click your Microsoft Office product, and choose Uninstall.
Windows 8.1 or 8
- Right-click on the Windows icon in Windows 8 and choose the Control Panel.
- Select Programs and Features.
- Then, right-click your Office product, and choose Uninstall.
- Click on the Windows icon on your keyboard and then select Control Panel> Programs and Features.
- Right-click the Office application that you want to remove, and then click Uninstall.
- Follow the prompts that appear on your screen to complete the uninstallation.
- Further, you have to reinstall Office depending on the version you have. [Here, Microsoft Office 365]
Steps To Reinstall Office
- Depending on your browser, you need to select from the following options Run (in Edge or Internet Explorer), Setup (in Chrome), or Save File (in Firefox).
- If you see the User Account Control prompt saying, Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device? Then select Yes and it will begin the installation.
- When the prompt “You’re all set! Office is installed now” appears, it means that the installation is completed.
- Further, it will show you an animation that will tell you where you can find the Office applications on your computer. You need to select the Close option on it.
Solutions For MAC Users facing QuickBooks Won’t Export To Excel
- Firstly, you have to verify the compatibility of your system with the excel version that you are using.
- Then check the specifications required for your system to work efficiently with the QuickBooks software as mentioned above.
- If the above-mentioned two requirements are fulfilled, then the chances are that there is an issue with the installation of Excel or QuickBooks.
- If you want to check if the issue is with Excel or not then you have to register all the keys again with MS by re-installing it or by just pairing the MS office again. This technique allows the QB to detect that you use Excel in your computer system again and thus it helps you to resolve the issue.
- You can also check whether the issue is with QuickBooks installation by running a clean install of the application.
Let Experts Help You Deal QuickBooks Export To Excel Failure!
We hope the troubleshooting mentioned would have helped you resolve the unable to Export to Excel from QuickBooks error without any hassle. However, if you need any further assistance regarding QuickBooks, we would suggest you give us a call at QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Helpline Number +1-(855)-955-1942.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, it is possible to export Reports from QB Online to Excel. You just need to copy particular transactions from one file to another.
You can export invoices from the QuickBooks Desktop to Excel by going to the Reports section and then adding the invoice lists. After that, you have to customize the report and press on the Run report. There you will get the Export option under the report pages. You have to choose it and Export it to Excel.
You are unable to export to excel from QuickBooks because maybe your QB application is outdated, or your MS Excel software is damaged. Many times this export to excel feature can also not work because of UAC settings.