Sometimes while trying to install or upgrade the QuickBooks desktop application, the users may face some technical errors. One of those errors is QuickBooks error 61686. This is a very common error, and appears when a user updates or installs the QB desktop application. The main reason why the users come across the error 61686 is the damage in Framework.xml during the installation. However, this is a technical error but you can fix this error in a few easy steps discussed in the article. This write-up will also help you to understand the signs and causes of the error along with the solutions.
Need expert’s advice to resolve QuickBooks Error 61686? Talk to our professionals at +1-(855)-955-1942 and get your issue resolved in minimum time.
What is QuickBooks Error 61686?
QuickBooks error 61686 is also known as EXEAdapter Error in QuickBooks. The error appears when a user installs or updates the QuickBooks desktop application. During the installation of the QB desktop, when the QB installer installs all the required components needed to operate it, one of the main components Microsoft.NET framework gets corrupted. This corruption leads to an interruption in the installation of the .NET Framework on the computer and thus ultimately causes QuickBooks error 61686 to appear.
The Error 61686 appears as an error message saying, “we sorry! Something went wrong with your installation. EXEAdapter error: InstallExe method received the system error from create process, command-“c:\user\asaeed\appdata\local\temp\premier_us27r1\ thirdparty\dotnet46\ndp46-kb3045557-x86-x64-allos-enu.exe”\q\norestart\chainingpackage QuickBooks system message – The component store has been corrupted”.
Along with the error message, the window also provides some basic troubleshooting options for the QuickBooks error 61686 that you can follow.
Instances of QuickBooks error 61686
Once you identify and understand the error you can follow the correct troubleshooting step and rectify the error easily. Although the main sign that denotes the occurrence of error 61686 in the QuickBooks desktop application is the appearance of the error message itself, there can be other symptoms as well.
- The operating system of your computer freezes often which weakens the performance of your system.
- The error message with code 61686 is continuously displayed on your computer screen.
- You get an error message saying Windows Installation Error Code 61686 on your screen.
- You feel a lag in the response of some of the input devices like the Keyboard and mouse that are connected with your system.
Causes of QuickBooks error 61686
The corrupted Framework.xml file is the main reason why you are facing the QuickBooks error 61686. However, the error 61686 in QuickBooks can also appear if the file is in the right condition but the installer is not able to find or access it on Windows. Some other causes include:
- Faulty or incomplete installation of Microsoft .NET Framework on Windows.
- An older version of Microsoft .NET Framework is available on your device.
- Windows on your system is infected with some virus or malware.
- The framework.xml file has been accidentally deleted from your system.
- Any recent Windows Installer-associated programming change has caused some misconduct in the Windows registry.
Troubleshooting Solutions to get rid of QuickBooks error 61686
The first step towards troubleshooting involves repairing the .NET Framework and after that, the other troubleshooting steps follow.
Troubleshooting Solution 1: Rectifying the damaged .NET Framework using the System File Checker Scan
Most of the time .Net Framework versions are integrated with Windows. Thus, running a System File Checker can fix the .NET Framework as it fixes the other corrupted system files also.
- Press the Windows+ X key on your keyboard.
- Click on Command Prompt (Admin) to open a prompt window.
- Give the input ‘DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press Enter before initiating the System File Checker scan.
- For the next step provide the input ‘sfc /scannow’ in the command prompt and press the Return Key.
- Wait, till the SFC completes the scan (It might take up to 30 minutes to complete the scan).
- Now restart Windows if the Command Prompt says that Windows Resource Protection repaired system files.
Troubleshooting Solution 2: Launching QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool to rectify QuickBooks error 61686
- Download the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool to rectify any installation errors.
- Now, first, close all the programs running in the background on Windows.
- Double-click on the QB Install Diagnostic tool icon and install it by following the given instructions.
- Once done, run the process and reinstall the application after it finishes to see if the QuickBooks error 61686 has been solved. If not, follow the other troubleshooting solutions.
Read also- How to resolve QuickBooks Error 40001.
Troubleshooting Solution 3: Renaming the Framework.xml File to troubleshoot the QuickBooks error 61686
- Go to the C drive and then to the QuickBooks folder.
- In the next step, navigate to the Framework.xml file and click right on it.
- Now, a dropdown list will appear, click the Rename option on it.
- Add .OLD as a suffix to the file name.
- At last, Save the changes and check if you are still facing the error.
Troubleshooting Solution 4: Installing and Reinstalling the Windows Installer Programs.
- Go to the Programs and Features tab from the Start button.
- From the right side menu, open the Control Panel.
- Pick the Programs option and then mark the Features and Program.
- Now to eradicate the error 61686 in QuickBooks, go to the name segment.
- Now select the Windows Installer related section.
- Hit the Uninstall Catch option.
- Further, complete the uninstallation of all the related programs.
Troubleshooting steps 5: Fixing the Registry Entries related to error 61686 in QuickBooks
- Go to the Start button and open the menu of the system.
- You will notice a depiction notice there in the request box, try not to press the Enter key.
- The next step involves holding the Ctrl+Shift keys together and pressing the Enter key at the same time.
- Read carefully the message that appears on the dialogue box on the screen.
- Acknowledge the dialogue box by tapping on the Yes option.
- After this, a black box will appear in front of you, select the Reddit option and press the Enter key.
- Now, under the registry editor, choose the error 61686 related key.
- Next, select the Export here option from the File menu option.
- Ensure to save it to the mentioned list.
- Now pick the Organizer where the Windows Installer file key will be abandoned.
- Now, choose the identity for the file in the specific box and name it something like Windows Installer Backup.
- Now under the Export Range box confirm the availability of the Choose Branch option.
- Hit the Save option on the screen to save changes.
- After this, it will abandon the records along with a .reg document extension.
- Finally, you got a member of the Windows Installer-related registry segment.
The Final Closure!!
The QuickBooks error 61686 is a common error faced by many users around the world. You can also try to install all available updates on your windows and conduct a full virus scan on your system. Performing a clean installation of Windows along with all these above-mentioned solutions can also rectify the QuickBooks error 61686. However, if you still need any help, get in touch with us.