Most of the time, users can easily access QuickBooks. However, sometimes in the past, users have complained about not being able to open QuickBooks files and getting QuickBooks error 6155. This error prohibits users from accessing the QuickBooks company file. If you also have difficulty opening a company file, you should read this article until the end.
What Is QuickBooks Error 6155?
This is an error of the 61xx series error code. The error indicates that the QuickBooks desktop is facing difficulties while opening the company file or the company file is corrupt. The usual factors that cause the occurrence of this error are incomplete installation of QuickBooks desktop, corrupt company file, and running verify & rebuild data. However, there could be other reasons contributing to this error. The error message appears on your screen as-
"We're sorry. QuickBooks encountered a problem when opening the company file." Error Codes: (-6155,0)
What Causes QuickBooks Error 6155?
Knowing the causes of QB error 6155 means getting closer to resolving the error. So without any delay, let’s jump onto the potential causes of the error-
- The most common reason you cannot open a company file is the incomplete or damaged installation of the QuickBooks application.
- Using an outdated version of QuickBooks is also a potential factor.
- Any infection caused by a virus or malware attack can lead to QuickBooks Company File Error 6155, 0.
- The company file you are trying to read may be only accessible as read-only.
- Another possible reason is the missing company file from the QuickBooks installation directory.
How To Troubleshoot QuickBooks Error 6155?
To fix QuickBooks Error Code 6155, we need to perform specific procedures like updating QuickBooks to the latest release, running File doctor, cleaning the install tool, or checking if the company file has permission to read and write.
Solution 1: Update QuickBooks
If an outdated version of QB is causing QuickBooks Error Code 6155 0, then updating QuickBooks will help resolve the error.
- Go to the Help at the top menu in QuickBooks.
- Select the option Update QuickBooks.
- Now choose the Update Now option, then tick the box next to Reset Update.
- Hit the button> Get Updates.
Solution 2: Download & Install QuickBooks Release Manually
By downloading and installing the QuickBooks release manually, you can rectify error 6155 0 in QuickBooks-
- First of all, close the QuickBooks software.
- Now go to the QuickBooks download and update page.
- Select the country, product, and version.
- Click on the Search option and choose Get the latest updates option.
- Let the download process finish.
- Click on the downloaded file.
- Click on the Yes tab that appears.
- Now follow the instructions on-screen to open the QuickBooks update.
Solution 3: Utilize QB Tool Hub
QuickBooks tool hub utilizes Quickbooks Doctor File to fix any issue in QuickBooks company files. It will resolve any common application issue causing this error. Follow the below steps to use the QuickBooks tool hub-
- Download QuickBooks Tool Hub if it is not already installed on your device.
- Save the downloaded file (QuickBooksToolHub.exe) to an easily accessible location.
- Open the file> follow the instruction that appears on your screen.
- Install the tool hub and open it by double-clicking on it.
- Select Company File Issues.
- Tool hub will run the QuickBooks File doctor tool and fix whatever is causing this issue.
After running the tool hub, try opening the company file again to check if the issue has been resolved, then move to the next step.
Solution 4: Check If the File is in Read-only Mode
If you don’t have access to the company file and it is in the read-only state, then you need to change the status to rectify Company File Error 6155, 0.
- Open the QuickBooks installation directory.
- Right-click on the company file that is causing this access problem.
- Now click on the drop-down menu and choose the Properties option.
- As the next step, uncheck the box against Read-only.
- Finally, hit Apply and OK to complete the process.
Solution 5: Reinstall QuickBooks Using Clean Install Tool
QuickBooks’ clean install tool helps repair any damage that may have occurred during the installation process of QuickBooks. Here is what you need to do-
- Download QuickBooks clean Install tool on your device.
- Save the tool file at an easily accessible location.
- Now download the file (QuickBooks_Clean_Install_Utility.exe) by clicking on it.
- Choose the version of your QuickBooks and tick mark Agree to the terms and Conditions.
- A message will appear on your screen stating: “QuickBooks is now ready for Clean Install.”
- Click OK.
Need Further Assistance To Rectify QuickBooks Error 6155?
QB error 6155 can be fixed using simple troubleshooting techniques, but users have occasionally had trouble following the troubleshooting procedures and fixing the error. If this is the case and you are still unable to address the mistake, call at QuickBooks Data Service Solutions helpline number +1-(855)-955-1942, and one of our specialists will assist you as quickly as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
While backing up, if you’re unable to open the company file then there might be chances to end up with QB error 6155.
No, the fixation depends on the scenario you encounter. If you are using an outdated version of QuickBooks then Error 6155 can be resolved just by updating your software to the most recent release. However, if you are already running the latest version of QB then the error might occur due to some other issues.
QuickBooks tool hub is mainly used to fix plenty of bugs and errors in QB company files. Also, It can easily resolve common application issues causing error 6155.
An incomplete or damaged installation of the QuickBooks application is the main factor behind the appearance of QuickBooks Error code 6155.