QuickBooks users can add their bank transaction details to their company files through a manual process or just connect their bank to QB and it automatically adds the data. Certain transactions can sometimes reflect multiple times in the Charts of Accounts due to human error or technical glitches. This error can create discrepancies in the books of accounts. In such scenarios, users are required to delete the extra transactions. The method to delete duplicate transactions in QuickBooks is totally different in QBD and QBO. Further, the steps you need to follow can be different while deleting transactions in Register Mode and Side-by-Side mode.
Do you want to learn how to delete duplicate transactions in QuickBooks Desktop? Get an expert on call at +1-(855)-955-1942 and they will guide you on what you need to do.
Delete Duplicate Transactions in QuickBooks Desktop And Online
The steps to delete duplicate bank transaction in QuickBooks online require users to run a report, find out the duplicate transactions, and then delete them. For QuickBooks Desktop steps, users must follow different steps for register mode and side-by-side mode. Let’s look at the steps users need to follow in detail:
Remove Duplicate Transactions in QuickBooks Desktop
There are two different sets of actions that users are required to follow in QuickBooks Desktop, depending on which mode they are in. Deleting transactions in Side-by-side mode is comparatively easier than in Register Mode. Look at the steps users need to follow for both of them:
1. Delete Duplicate Transaction in Register Mode
Your register is shown at the top of the screen in the register mode. At the bottom of the page, you’ll find your downloaded transactions. Match the relevant transactions anyway if you know QuickBooks is correct and wish to eliminate the transactions that don’t match. Then remove the entire statement from the equation.
- Click on the Banking tab and choose Bank Feeds from the list.
- Further select Bank Feeds Center and browse and choose the statement from the Items Received from Financial Institution section. Then click on View from the drop-down menu.
- To match the transactions, locate them and click Done.
- When the Not finished Matching page appears, click on Yes to return to the Online Banking Center.
- Look for and select the same statement in the Items Received From Financial Institution area. Then select Delete.
Duplicate Transaction should not appear next time when you download a statement. If you don’t delete the matched statements, it will continue appearing in future downloads.
In this mode, The downloaded transactions appear on the left side of the desktop. These are the steps you need to follow:-
- Tap on the Banking tab and select the Bank Feeds option.
- Further, choose the Bank Feeds Center, and in the Item Reviewed section select the account for which you want to delete the transactions.
- Click on Items to Delete and then choose the items you wish to delete.
- Then tap on Delete Selected and press Yes to confirm.
NOTE: Tap on Select all downloaded transactions older than and set the date to the last statement end date if you’ve previously matched your statement. Then choose Delete Selected from the drop-down menu. To erase everything, you may need to switch to Register mode.
Delete Duplicate Transactions in QuickBooks Online
Users are required to run a traditional report, find out the duplicate transactions and then delete transactions. These are the steps you need to follow:-
Find Duplicate Transactions Through Traditional Report
- Tap on the Reports tab in the left menu and search for Customer Balance Detail in the search bar.
NOTE: Type Vendor Balance Detail for the expense report.
- Click on Customize from the top and go to Transactions Date.
- Set it to All dates and tap on Run Report.
- Click on Sort drop-down and change sort by to Num.
- Select Ascending or Descending as per your preferences and tap on Run Report.
Now find the duplicate transactions from the menu.
Deleting Duplicate Bank Transactions In QuickBooks Online
In QuickBooks Online, the process for deleting bank transactions is determined on the tab in which the transaction appears. If your transaction is categorised or matched, the steps are the same.
1. Duplicate Transaction Appearing in ‘For Review’ Menu
- Click on Banking or Transactions button in the left menu.
- Select the bank account that has duplicate transactions and click on the For Review tab and select the duplicate transactions.
- A black box will appear above all the transactions showing all the selected transactions. Tap on Exclude.
- Click on the Exclude menu, To permanently remove these transactions from QuickBooks, and then tick the box at the left of the Date column. Then select Delete.
2. If the Duplicate Transactions are in Categorised or Matched Transactions
- Click on the Transactions menu.
- Go to Categorised tab and tick all the duplicate transactions.
- A black box will appear at the top of all transactions, show how many are selected. Click on Undo and then they will move to the For Review tab.
- Go to For Review tab and tick mark all the duplicate transactions.
- A black box will appear, go to the Exclude menu.
- Select the Excluded tab, then tick all transactions in the tick box to the left of the Date column to permanently remove these transactions from QuickBooks. Click on Delete.
Contact Experts to Delete Duplicate Transactions in QuickBooks!
So this is all about how to delete duplicate transactions in QuickBooks desktop and online version. Follow these steps in case your books show discrepancies due to duplicate entries. If you still have any doubts left, reach out to an expert at QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Helpline Number +1-(855)-955-1942 and they will solve all your queries.