QuickBooks has some amazing features to fulfill all your business accounting needs. However, QB is required to always comply with the federal laws of the country. Thus, sometimes in response to the changes in federal law, QuickBooks releases new updates in the application. And users face certain issues while getting those updates. One of those errors is QuickBooks error 40003. The users face this QuickBooks Error 40003 while trying to get the latest payroll update to avoid any issues with the direct deposit. Are you also one of those users? No need to worry then, this article will clear all your doubts about the error and will give you three effective solutions to fix them.
But first, understand what QuickBooks Error 40003 means and what causes it to appear, then move on to the solutions part.
What is QuickBooks Error 40003?
QuickBooks Error 40003 is also known as QuickBooks Payroll Error 40003 and occurs in the payroll section of QuickBooks when a user tries to download its recent updates. The issue is generally triggered by some other device activity that is running in the background. As a result, the download process gets disrupted in the middle, and the users are not able to complete the process.
What causes you to face QuickBooks Error 40003?
The most common reason why you face QuickBooks Error 40003 is unfavorable Windows firewall settings on your device. However, there can also be other reasons for QuickBooks Error 40003 which are discussed below:
- Some of the QuickBooks files or components on your device are corrupted.
- You are facing the issue because of some internet connection issues.
- Firewall settings on your device are not configured properly with QuickBooks.
- You are working on the outdated version of QuickBooks software or Windows Operating System.
- The incorrect setup of the date and time on your system can occasionally cause the error 40003 in the QuickBooks desktop.
3 Effective Methods to getting rid of Quickbooks Error 40003
Once you know the cause of why the QuickBooks Error40003 is triggered in your system you can use the parallel troubleshooting solution to rectify it easily.
Troubleshooting Method 1: Try and Use the Verify and Rebuild Data Utility Tool
Some broken components of the QuickBooks software have caused the QuickBooks Error40003 to appear. Thus running the Verify Data and Rebuild Data Utility tools can fix the error.
- Go to the QB Desktop option from the Windows search bar.
- Right-click and opt for the Run as Administrator option.
- Now, in the QuickBooks desktop, go to the File tab and click on the File menu.
- Next, choose the Utilities option from the drop-down menu and then click on Verify Data.
- The tool will take a few minutes to analyze your data file ad identify the problem.
- If there is any specific issue, an error message will pop up and prompt you to rectify that. If there is no issue with your data file, a message will pop up saying “QuickBooks found no problem with your data.”
- But in case there is some issue, you will see a message saying, “Your data has been corrupted.”
- To resolve this, you have to again go to the Utility tab and press the File button again.
- First, copy your company data by tapping on the Rebuild Data option and following the instructions given on the screen.
- Once you complete the process, you have to again run the Verify Data utility to check if the issue is rectified or not.
- Once done, reboot your system and re-download the payroll updates.
Troubleshooting Method 2: Change theWindows Firewall Settings
The firewall on your system can sometimes prevent the softwares to perform certain actions for data safety. Similarly, QuickBooks might be on the list for the same. So follow the below-given steps to make an exception for Quickbooks in your firewall settings.
- Tap the Windows icon and open the start menu.
- Search the Windows Firewall in the menu and open a new window.
- Go to the Advanced Settings option and right-click on the Inbound Rules and choose the New Rule option.
- Choose a program and hit the Next button. Now, select This Program Path and press Next.
- You will be shown a list of files, choose the QuickBooks executable files from the list. Repeat the process for all of the QuickBooks files.
- Now, press the Allow the Connection button and hit Next.
- Check the boxes shown in front of each profile and press the Next button once more.
- Now create a new rule and name it QBFirewallException(name.exe) to finish the process.
- Now repeat the same process to create outbound rules for all the QB exe files.
- Lastly, Open the QB desktop application and select the Switch to Multi-User Mode from the File Menu.
Know Also- How to Add Employee to QuickBooks payroll
Troubleshooting Method 3: Manually Update the QuickBooks Desktop.
Sometimes, a sudden drop in the internet speed can interrupt the download in the middle, and thus QuickBooks Error 40003 can occur. You can rectify the error by manually updating the QB desktop app.
- Go to the Help section and choose the Update QuickBooks Desktop option from the menu.
- Opt for the Get Updates option by clicking on the Update Now option and ticking the box next to the Reset Update option.
- Do not close the window until the download gets completed.
- Now, go to the Help menu and choose the Update QuickBooks Desktop option from the drop-down list.
- Next, navigate to the Overview menu and select the Update Now option.
- Restart your system once the update gets installed.
Troubleshooting Solution 4: Verifying the Settings of Internet Explorer
QuickBooks uses Internet Explorer to run its online services in the background and sometimes the settings of internet explorer are not configured with QuickBooks and can cause QuickBooks Error 40003 to appear. To rectify the error, ensure the settings are favourable.
- Make the Internet Explorer your default browser.
- Set your system’s date and time accurately.
- Ensure the strength of your IE is not below 128 bits.
- Update the Internet Options Settings on your device.
Wrapping it up!!
An outdated QuickBooks desktop application can also cause QuickBooksError40003 to appear so always update your QuickBooks software from time to time. You can also run the QuickBooks Tool Hub to run a quick check for your software health. Also, ensure that the date and time on your system are correctly set. To correct them, go to the bottom right corner of your screen and right-click on the displayed time and date. Now select Adjust date/time, and open the settings window. Update the time correctly and restart your system. These solutions will help you rectify the QuickBooks Error 40003 easily, and if you need any help in between, you can contact our QuickBooks support team.