QuickBooks error 3180 is a typical error that takes place during any financial exchange between QB Desktop and QB Point of Sales. It occurs due to some damage to the payment item and can make you get stuck on the task. There can be multiple ways instances when you can face the QuickBooks error 3180. However, resolving this error is an easy process. We will guide you to the verified ways to fix QB error 3180. Follow the complete article to learn more about its reasons and solutions.
QuickBooks Error 3180: Explanation and Error Message
QuickBooks Error 3180 is a 3000 series error. It arises when your QuickBooks Desktop sales tax is not associated with any vendor. The QB Error 3180 is displayed on the screen as,
Status message: There was an error when saving a Sales Receipt (or Credit Memo).
Error message: Sales tax detail line must have a vendor.
However, it can also be associated with the other status messages, which are as follows:
- Status Code 3180: An error occurred while trying to save a sales receipt.
- Status code: 3180 Status message: An error occurred while saving any Employees list, element “Employee, Name.”
- Status Code 3180: A problem arose while trying to save the General Journal Transaction.
- Status Code 3180: QuickBooks error message: The posting account seems invalid.
- Status code 3180: Status message: Sales tax detail line should always have a vendor.
- Status code 3180: QuickBooks error message: A/P (or A/R) detail line must have a vendor.
QuickBooks Error 3180: Factors that trigger it
The QuickBooks Error 3180 occurs mainly due to some issue with the QB sales tax payable account. However, there can be other multifaceted reasons that can evoke the error in QuickBooks, which are given below:
- The sales tax item in your QuickBooks Desktop is not linked with any of the vendors.
- There are chances that the account mapping of the sales tax payable accounts may be incorrect.
- If a pay-out was created while using the sales payable account.
- It can occur because you are using the sales tax payable account as the target account for one or more items on receipts.
- There is any damaged or incorrect type of payment item on the list.
- It can occur if you have used the wrong type of QB Desktop account while mapping accounts in Quickbooks POS.
- The system’s antivirus or Firewall application can also cause this error.
QuickBooks Error 3180: Sings that help you identify it
It is easy to identify the error if you know the particular signs that your system shows while dealing with it. Some of the signs that the users witness while dealing with QB Error 3180 are given below:
- Your system has a very slow response to the inputs of the keyboard or mouse.
- You are unable to save the sales receipt on your system.
- QuickBooks on your system gets shut down abruptly.
- You see an error message denoting QuickBooks error 3180 frequently on your screen.
QuickBooks Error 3180: Methods to Fix it
Since Error 3180 in QB occurs due to multiple reasons, therefore to fix it, you need to verify each and everything that can trigger it. Follow the given methods to resolve QB Error 3180.
Method 1: Merging items in QuickBooks to fix QuickBooks Error 3180.
- Open the QuickBooks desktop application and go to the List option.
- Here, you need to choose Include Inactive option.
- Next, you need to sort the list, so select the Type header.
- Now, Rename the Point of Sale payment items.
- Next, you need to click on the payment item that begins with Point of Sale.
- Choose Edit items and then add Old to its name.
- Then press OK.
- Now merge the duplicate items in the QB desktop.
- Then, click right on the payment method with Old.
- Edit the item and Remove the Old.
- Lastly, click Ok and choose Yes to confirm.
Method 2: Assign the vendor to the sales tax item to fix QuickBooks Error 3180.
- First, you have to open the QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Next, proceed to the Item List and opt for Include Inactive.
- Now, in order to sort the list, you need to opt for the Type Column option.
- Finally, you need to make sure that sales tax items have a tax agency attached to them.
Method 3: Choose your Tax preferences to fix QuickBooks Error 3180
- Initially, you need to run the QuickBooks Point of Sale.
- Next, go to the File option and there, choose the Preferences option.
- After that, you need to click on the Company option and hit on the Accounts under the Financial option.
- Next, tick on the Basic and Advanced tabs.
- Also, remember to tap on the Make Sales Tax Payable option in the sales tax row. In case it is not done, then change it and run a financial exchange.
Method 4: Ensure that you have not paid out the problem receipt using sales tax payable to fix QuickBooks Error 3180.
- Start with launching the QuickBooks Point of Sale.
- Next, you need to choose the Sales History option.
- Then, click right on any of the given columns.
- After that, you have to choose the Customise Columns option.
- Next, ensure to choose the QuickBooks Status.
- Then, you need to search for the Receipts which are not completed yet.
- Choose the Receipts if you find any of the receipts that are not paid out to the Sales tax payable.
- After that, click on the Reverse Receipt option.
- Now, tap on Recreate the paid out by using a non-sales tax payable account.
- Lastly, run the financial exchange to check for QuickBooks Error 3180.
Method 5: Rename the Financial Methods to fix QuickBooks Error 3180.
- To start with the troubleshooting, launch the QB Desktop application.
- Then head to the Lists heading and choose the Customer & Vendor Profile Lists options under it.
- Next, choose the Payment Method List there.
- Now, hit click right on the Cash method option and choose Edit payment method.
- Remember that now the payment method field should have the letter “X” at the beginning. If it does, save your modifications.
- After that, you need to right-click on the Cash methods and opt for a New option.
- Then, replace it by renaming it to Cash.
- Again, begin with the Financial exchange.
- Now, change the name of all the payment options if required.
- Then check for QuickBooks Error 3180.
The Conclusive Words!!
The Status Code 3180 on your screen can interfere with the normal functioning of your programs. So it is important to rectify it as soon as possible. However, sometimes, QB Error 3180 can become very difficult and puzzling to solve. Also, the troubleshooting methods can become a little difficult to follow, so make sure to contact our QuickBooks support experts for any queries regarding QuickBooks.
Frequently Asked Questions
When the error message saying QuickBooks Error 3180 appears on the screen, make sure to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:
1. Merging all the items in QuickBooks.
2. Assigning the vendor to the sales tax item.
3. Verifying your Tax preferences
To create or rename the Financial methods to rectify Error 3180 QuickBooks, follow the given method:
1. First, open QB, then the List menu.
2. Then go to the Customer and Vendor Profile Lists, then the Payment Method list.
3. Then click right on the Cash method and tap Edit payment method.
4. Now, add the letter X at the beginning of the payment method field and then save the changes.
5. Next, click right on the Cash methods and choose New.
6. Lastly, rename it as Cash, and finally, you can operate the financial exchange.