Have you been taken aback by the QuickBooks error 1904 while installing or updating the QuickBooks Desktop? We understand your concern, but don’t worry; you are not the only QB user who bumps into this error. The error 1904 in QuickBooks Desktop mostly appears because of issues in files like qbprefs.dll, .dll, qbupdate.exe, ICWrapper.dl, etc. Sever issues in these files lead to damages in the MS component Visual C++ and, therefore, trigger this error. Moreover, upgrading your Windows OS and not restarting the computer to complete the process is also a prime cause behind it.
However, there are presently more reasons that also demand your attention, which have been thoroughly discussed below. But, just knowing the causes will not automatically fix the issue. So, through this article, we have furnished you with extensive troubleshooting methods. So, let’s not waste any more of your precious time and get started!!
What are the Prevalent Root Causes of Error 1904 Failed to Register QuickBooks?
The following are the crucial reasons every QuickBooks user must be aware of. Having a good understanding of the reasons, resolving the issues becomes much easier and more effective.
- If you are still utilizing an old version of the QB program or Windows OS.
- If there are any missing, damaged, or corrupted components of Microsoft.
- When the issue is with the installation source, that provokes the QuickBooks installer error 1904.
- When at the time of installing QB, there are interruptions; for instance, network connectivity issues can result in incomplete installation. Therefore, the issues due to improper installation might lead to QuickBooks installation error 1904 failed to register.
- If the third-party applications are blocking the QB Desktop and triggering the issue.
- Error 1904 in QuickBooks Desktop might also occur when the company files are damaged or corrupted.
- In case you are upgrading the Windows OS from one version to another but forgot to reboot the computer system after upgrading might result in this error.
- When you don’t possess the admin level permissions to use QB or are not logged in to Windows as an admin.
- Problems in the hard drive read-write permissions can also spark off the error code 1904.
- Windows security application sees QB as a threat and, therefore, blocks the installation process of the QB program.
Important Note Before Applying the Solutions!!
If any of these apply to you, the last three methods will assist you in rectifying the problems if the error 1904 module failed to register QuickBooks 2017 is set off due to the following:
- If you have installed Bitdefender.
- In case you recently installed Adobe Flash.
- If the 1904 error message notes QBversionTool.dll.
What are the Powerful Ways to Eliminate Error 1904 in QuickBooks Desktop?
The following are the troubleshooting methods that might give you the resolution for error 1904 module failed to register QuickBooks.
1st Method: Running the QB Install Diagnostic Tool
Tool Hub is loaded with multiple utilities, but here, you will employ the QB Install Diagnostic tool, and for that, first, you should download the Tool Hub.
Step 1: Begin to Download and Install the QB Tool Hub
- Initially, you must close the QB application.
- Now, by downloading the latest version of QB Tool Hub from Intuit’s official website, you should save it on the system.
- The file will be stored in the downloads section or the C Drive. You can also manually select a different location to save the file.
- Now, by double-clicking on the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file, launch it.
- Then, begin with the installation procedure by following the on-screen steps.
- After the installation process ends, double-click on the icon of Tool Hub on the desktop screen to launch it.
Note: If the Tool Hub icon is not visible on the desktop, search it from the Stat tab and click on the application.
Step 2: Fix the Issues with QB Install Diagnostic tool
This tool can be used to diagnose the damage and rectify the issues in the Microsoft components that the QB application utilizes.
- After launching the QB Tool Hub in step one, navigate to the Installation Issues tab.
- From there, click on the QB Install Diagnostic Tool and let it run, as it may take up to 20 minutes.
- Next, when the tool does its job, reboot your system and open the QB program.
2nd Method: Fixing the Windows OS Components Manually
If the QB Install Diagnostic tool did not successfully eliminate the error 1904 in QuickBooks Desktop, it might be the damaged or corrupted MS components in the Windows triggering the error. Attempt to repair them.
First, Try Reinstalling or Repairing the MS .NET Framework
MS programs are used by the QB Desktop for operating web-based applications. Severe issues due to the misconfiguration in the settings of the .NET Framework might set off error 1904 in QuickBooks.
These Steps are for Users operating QB on Windows 10 or Newer Versions
- Firstly, close all the running applications on your system.
- Then, type Control Panel in the Start tab search field and hit Enter.
- Now, in the new window of the Control Panel, choose the Programs and Features option.
- Click on Uninstall a Program and then click on the option to Turn Windows features on or off.
- After that, search for the .NET Framework on the list.
Further, verify the setting for the following:
- .NET Framework 4.5 (or later)
- .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
Note: The steps for fixing all versions of the .NET Framework, including 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, and 4.8, are the same.
Double-check the .NET Framework 4.5 (or later)
In case the checkbox of .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) is not tick-marked
- Begin by clicking on the .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) checkbox to enable it.
- Then, choose OK.
- Reboot your computer
In case the checkbox of .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) is already tick-marked
- Begin by selecting the checkbox for .NET Framework 4.5 (or later) to disable it. Do not enable or turn it on again.
- Proceed to choose OK to save the changes.
- Reboot the computer after that.
- Lastly, when you again sign in to the Windows, enable the .NET Framework 4.5.
Double-check the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
In case the checkbox is not tick-marked for the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
- Start by choosing to enable the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
- Then, click on OK to save all the modifications made above.
- Further, restart the computer.
In case the checkbox is already tick-marked for the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
- By clicking on the checkbox, disable the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. Don’t turn it on.
- After that, click on the OK option and restart the system.
- In the end, when you sign in to Windows again, enable the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 once more.
Next, Try Registering the MSXML DLL Files
Users having 64-bit Windows operating system register the MSXML with these steps
- Initially, type CMD in the empty search field of the Start tab.
- Now, as you right-click on the CMD, you will see a drop-down.
- From the drop-down, choose the Run as Administrator option.
- Then, at the C: prompt, proceed and enter this command: cd\windows\syswow64.
- After that, type regsvr32 MSXML6.dll and press the Enter key.
- Lastly, install the QB Desktop application on the system.
Users having Windows 32-bit operating systems register MSXML with these steps.
- In the beginning, press the Windows and R keys or type Run in the Start menu.
- Now, when the Run windows appear on the screen, enter CMD in the search box and select the option to Browse.
- Further, type in regsvr32 MSXML6.dll and hit the Enter key.
- In the end, install a fresh version of QB Desktop.
3rd Method: Modifying the Settings for the Windows OS Account
Try switching to the Windows admin account and modify the setting from there to fix QuickBooks installation error 1904 failed to register.
Step 1: Sign in to the Windows OS Admin Account
- Begin by entering CMD in the search field of the Start menu.
- Now, when you see the CMD icon, choose the Run as Administrator option by right-clicking on the icon.
- Further, from the command window, type: net user administrator /active:yes; after that, press Enter.
- Now, choose the Sign Out option from the Start menu.
- Again, sign in to the Windows as an admin, and you will not need a password for it.
Step 2: Make Adjustments to the User Permissions
- Firstly, access the File Explorer option by typing the same in the search box of the Start tab.
- Now, in the File Explorer window, go to the C:\Program Files\Common Files folder.
- Then, click on the Properties option as you right-click the folder for Common Files.
- Now, from the Security tab, click on the Edit option.
- Further, choose the Users option under the section of Group or User Names.
- Then, proceed to the section of Permissions for Users and enable the permissions for:
- Read & execute
- List folder contents
- Lastly, click on Apply and then OK.
Step 3: Once Again, Install QB Desktop and Sign-out
- Install the QB application on your computer, and once the process is done, navigate to the Start menu.
- Then, choose the Sign-out option for your admin account.
- Now, log in to the user account once more.
- In the Run window, type CMD and click on the option to Browse.
- Proceed to right-click on the CMD icon and select the Run as Admin option from the drop-down.
- After that, in the command window, you must type net user administrator /active:no and hit Enter.
- The above step will hide the admin account.
- Lastly, if you are able to access the QB with the regular account, you must have fixed the QuickBooks 2010 install error 1904.
4th Method: Adding QuickBooks Software in Bitdefender
Disabling the Bitdefender will not rectify the issue; therefore, you should include QuickBooks Desktop in the exclusion list of Bitdefender.
- First, include the path: ‘C:\Program Files\Common Files’ if you operate on a 32-bit Windows operating system.
- Second, include ‘C:\Program Files\Intuit (C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit’ if you are using a 64-bit Windows operating system.
5th method: If Error Popped Up When Installing Adobe Flash Player
- For starters, download and employ the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool from the Tool Hub.
- Now, when the process ends, go to the Start tab.
- In the search field, type Control Panel, and press Enter.
- Then, when the Control Panel window appears on the screen, click Uninstall a program.
- Proceed to choose Adobe Flash Player ActiveX in the list and then click on the Uninstall option.
- After uninstalling the software once more, repeat the procedure to download and reinstall the Adobe Flash Player.
6th Method: If the QBversionTool.dll file is Referred to in the Error Message
It would be best if you initially ran the QB Install Diagnostic tool and modified your system’s admin settings. If these two do not eliminate the issue, implement the following two steps:
Step 1: Testing the Permissions
- First, open your notepad on the desktop screen.
- In the notepad, type QBTEST, and then from the File tab, click on the option that says Save As.
- Save the note to any one of the paths:
- C:\Program Files\Common Files
- C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files.
- If the note is not saved in the folder, you must sign in and install the QB program as an admin.
Step 2: As an Administrator, Install QB
- You should click on the option to sign out in the Windows Start tab.
- Then, choose the account named administrator and click on it to sign in.
- Lastly, install the QB Desktop as an admin.
Note: We recommend reading this article if you want to access and learn using the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool.
The Last Resort to Fix Error 1904
In case none of the solutions above helped resolve the error, we need to ensure that the correct procedure to install QuickBooks is being followed. The following steps are the standard procedure to download and install or reinstall the QB Desktop application to avoid getting QuickBooks error 1904.
Step 1: Preparing to Install
- Begin by meeting all the system requirements, like updating your Windows OS.
- Now, for downloading the application, go to the Downloads and Updates page.
- Proceed to choose your country, product, and version from the drop-down and click on Search.
Step 2: Deciding the installation path
There are two ways to install the QB Desktop, and you can choose Express install or Standard install. Opt for Standard install if you are hosting the company file on the multi-user network and installing the application on the server system. However, if you are installing QB for the first time and planning to utilize it on a single system, then opt for Express install. Now, after deciding the path:
- Save the downloaded QuickBooks.exe file on your system and keep the license number with you.
- Further, follow the wizard to install the QB software and accept the license agreement.
- Click on Next.
- Lastly, type in the product and license numbers and choose Next.
We tried our best to provide our QuickBooks readers with ample information to resolve the QuickBooks error 1904 from your system permanently. However, if you get confused or feel the need for an expert to gather extra details, call us at the TFN +1(855)-955-1942. Our dedicated technical team of professionals is there to guide you to eradicate this error with quick resolutions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: Yes, it is likely possible that problems in the Microsoft component, like MSXML, might set off the QB error code 1904. The following are the instances where the issue gets provoked:+
1. In case the Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) is unregistered or damaged.
2. When the QB Desktop is in the process of getting installed on the system, it uses the QBRegistration.dat file. As this particular file is in XML format, the setup program employs MSXML 4 to read the file.Therefore, if MSXML 4 is damaged or not correctly installed on Windows, it cannot read the file.
3. In case the Microsoft Core XML Services DLL (MSXML.dll) file that is part of the Windows OS is missing, unregistered, or damaged, it might provoke this error in QB Desktop.
Ans: The following are the signs you might notice while operating the QB application:
1. The system or the software might freeze occasionally because of QuickBooks install error 1904.
2. You might experience some lagging problems on the system, which will eventually get severe in the long run until the issue is resolved.
3. You might witness some QB files are missing.
4. Lastly, your system may not download any further automatic updates.