Many organizations around the world use QuickBooks software for their accounting needs. However, many times users, while installing the software, face some technical issues. These issues can sometimes result in QuickBooks Error 136. There can be various reasons for this 136 error. However, the most common one is the issue with the installation of the application. Sometimes, reinstalling can help you figure out the issue, but it may not be a permanent solution.
Therefore, if you ever get stuck with this QuickBooks Error code 136, then follow this blog. We have covered everything about error 136 in brief. This blog will help you gain knowledge about error descriptions, reasons, and troubleshooting ways to fix this.
QuickBooks Error 136: A Brief Description
QuickBooks Error 136 is an error code in QB that appears due to improper installation of QuickBooks. It makes the users unable to access the QB software. There are many reasons for this error; however, all of them are connected to the issue in installation files. Users may fail to access the QuickBooks company files.
The detailed reasons behind the occurrence of this error and its troubleshooting steps are given below.
QuickBooks Desktop Error 136: Reasons behind its appearance
Though both the Windows system and QuickBooks files can be responsible for the appearance of this error, error 136 in QuickBooks Desktop can be complex to understand. There are several other possible reasons behind its appearance, which are mentioned here.
- If you have an older or outdated version of Quickbooks software on your system, you might not be able to access the company file. And this would result in QuickBooks error 136.
- Some of the Quickbooks components running on your system might be causing some issues and triggering the error 136 in QuickBooks.
- The source of the problem for the QuickBooks Desktop Error code 136 may be the damaged or corrupted company file.
QuickBooks Desktop Error 136: Ways to fix this
To fix this QuickBooks error 136, you need to make sure that no other component runs on Windows, along with implementing quite technical steps. These steps include switching to another location and opening the file from there, suppressing QB processes. For detailed solutions, follow the below-given steps:
Method 1: Update the QuickBooks Desktop to fix error 136 in QuickBooks.
The updates for any application are released to launch some new features and also to fix some minor bugs in the application. The same goes for QuickBooks; Intuit sometimes releases new QuickBooks updates to resolve some minor issues in the software. Thus, we advise you to download and install the latest QuickBooks release whenever it is available. To check and install the latest QuickBooks updates, go through the given steps:
- Start with going to the QuickBooks software while pressing the Ctrl key on the keyboard.
- Then moving to its Help menu, followed by the Update button.
- Next, you have to go to the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- Then, at this point, you have to hit the Update Now option.
- Lastly, download the update by clicking on the Get Updates button.
- Thereafter, click OK if prompted.
Method 2: Suppress the QuickBooks Desktop application to fix error 136 in QuickBooks
If any component of the QuickBooks application is causing you to face the QB error code 136, then suppressing the application’s process can resolve your issue. The QuickBooks Desktop can be suppressed in two cases; when you open the application and while opening the company file.
Both of these have slightly different steps, based on your choice; you can go through them below:
Option 1: Suppress while opening the QB Desktop
You can follow these steps if you face QuickBooks error 136 while opening the application. But first, press and hold on to the Ctrl key and open the sample QuickBooks Desktop files. After opening the file, you need to try running certain functions to check if the error shows up.
- Go to the QuickBooks Desktop icon on the desktop and open it by clicking twice on it.
- Then, you need to press the Ctrl key as the application launches. (Remember you need to hold on to the Ctrl key till the No Company Open window pops up on your screen.)
- After that, you need is to move to the Open a Sample File option.
- Lastly, you have to choose the sample files given in the option there and open them.
Option 2: Suppress while you open a Company File
Another way of suppressing QuickBooks is while opening the company file. The Alt key remains the most prominent element in this process.
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop application by clicking twice on its icon.
- Then, as the application launches, press the Alt key and continue to hold it.
- After that, you need to type a strong password in the given field.
- After the system opens, it will prompt you for the default user’s password. You can release the Alt key to enter the password.
- Once you enter the password, tap the OK key.
- After that, you have to press the Alt key again when you see the application opening. Afterward, you can release the key.
With the above instructions, you can easily open the company file and work. If you still face the QuickBooks error code 136, then move on with the next troubleshooting steps.
Still Confused? Talk to Our Professionals.
Give us a call at +1-(855)-955-1942
Method 3: End QuickBooks Processes in Task Manager to fix error 136 in QuickBooks
If the error code 136 in QuickBooks still persists even after suppressing the QBDT, then you need to end the QB processes via Task Manager. To perform these steps, you need to first visit the Task Manager and then do the following steps:
- To start with the process, you need to first click right on the Taskbar on the Windows computer.
- After that, go to the Task Manager.
- There, you need to visit the Process tab.
- Then, visit the Image name header to arrange the results in alphabetical order.
- After this, you need to look for the QBW32.exe file and then hit the End Process button.
After you click the End process button, it will stop all the QB processes from running in the background. So, after that, you can again open the QuickBooks desktop application and access the company file. If the QuickBooks error code 136 is still bothering you, then you need to switch to the next fix.
Read Also- How to resolve Quickbooks Error 50004
Method 4: Copy and Open the Company File from Another Location to fix error 136 in QuickBooks
Sometimes, just by changing the company file location, you can easily access the file without dealing with error 136. All you are required to do is copy the file from its original folder, paste it to another location, and access it from there. The steps for copying and opening the file are as follows:
- First, open the folder containing the QuickBooks company files and valuable data.
- Then when you reach the file location, search for the .QBW extension file there.
- Once you find the QBW extension file, you need to click right on it.
- After that, choose the Copy option from the menu. Alternatively, you can also use the Ctrl + C keys on the keyboard to copy the file from the folder.
- Then, you have to go to the desktop and click right anywhere.
- And select the Paste option from the right-click menu. You can also use the Ctrl + V keys also. This step will also move your company file to the desktop screen from the original location.
- Now, you have to start your QB Dekstop while pressing the Ctrl key on your keyboard until you see No Company Open Error on your Screen.
- After this, you can hit the Open button.
- Lastly, you can browse the company file which you copied on the desktop recently.
Concluding Words !!
When you find the errors in QuickBooks like QuickBooks error 136, then it is better to understand the cause behind it. Then implement the most appropriate step to fix it. This will help you to rectify the error without facing many technical challenges. Also, remember, if you ever reinstall the QB application in the middle of any troubleshooting, then try to close the other background application to avoid any other issues. However, if you need help while troubleshooting errors in QuickBooks, you can call us at +1-(855)-955-1942 and connect with our QB experts.
Frequently Asked Questions
You face QuickBooks error 136 because there might be some issues with your QuickBooks company or installation file.
Fix the QuickBooks error 136 by updating the QB software, changing the company file location, and suppressing the QBDT.