QuickBooks users have reported the occurrence of QuickBooks Error The file exists while updating payroll, paying scheduled liabilities, or opening state/federal forms. These type of errors in your files occurs while doing payroll. In this article, you will find effective resolutions to get rid of this error. It comes up with an error message on your screen stating:
The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not being used by another program or a read-only file. The windows error was "The File Exists".
You surely would be looking for the best ways to fix the file exist error in QuickBooks. If you need instant assistance, we will advise you to call our experts at +1(855)-955-1942.
Main Reasons Behind QuickBooks Desktop Windows Error The File Exists
Several reasons such as the file that QuickBooks requires to complete the request is in use by some other application or being read erroneously by QuickBooks can result in QuickBooks desktop windows error the file exists. Other reasons are listed below:
- Older version of QuickBooks Desktop application.
- The user account is not having the required administrative rights on Windows.
- You might not be having a stable internet connection.
- Normal QuickBooks functioning is restricted by Windows User Account Control settings.
- You must have come across issues while installing the QuickBooks application.
- Another reason behind QuickBooks error “the file exists” is a faulty Firewall and Internet security settings.
Simple Process to fix QuickBooks “The File Exists” Error
Now, you are aware of the possible causes that result in QuickBooks “The File Exists” Error, it’s easy to resolve the error by following the below-listed troubleshooting solutions:
NOTE: Make sure to have a stable internet connection and an updated version of the QuickBooks Desktop application.
Solution 1: Run QuickBooks Application as Administrator
Running QuickBooks Application as an Admin may resolve the issue. The steps are simple to do so:
- Click on the Windows icon and type QuickBooks in the search space.
- The search results would be visible in the Search window.
- Now, Right-click on the QuickBooks version and year that you want to open.
- Then, click on Run as administrator.
- Now, run the payroll update.
- Close the QuickBooks application once the process completes and open it normally.
Solution 2: Update Windows Permissions
Another way to resolve the QuickBooks Error The File Exists error is to look for the available QB updates and then install them if available.
- For this open the QB Desktop application and then click on the Update option under the Help menu.
- Then move on to the Update Now tab and hit the Get Updates option.
- Then when the updates get downloaded, you need to restart the QB application and then click on the Install Now button on the QuickBooks
Update Service window.
- Lastly, once the update is installed properly, try to perform the same action again and check if the error is resolved.
If the QuickBooks Error The File Exists still appears on the screen, follow the next troubleshooting method.
Solution 3: Update Windows Permissions
- Click on the Windows icon and type File Explorer in the search space.
- Then, open File Explorer and search for your QuickBooks program file. It will appear like this:
|For Processor Type||File Path for QBW32.EXE|
|32-bit||C:\program files\intuit\quickbooks (year)|
|64-bit||C:\program files x86\intuit\quickbooks (year)|
- First, click right on the QuickBooks program (QBW32.EXE) file and then select the Properties option.
- Further, you need to click on the Security option followed by Edit and Add button.
- Then in the window that opens, type in the word Everyone and then select OK.
- Next, in the Security window, checkmark the Full control checkbox and then select OK.
- After that, select Add again option. In the window, type in the word Users and then select OK.
- Again In the Security window, you have to mark the checkbox present in front of Full control option and then hit the OK button.
- Once done, you need to click on Apply and then OK to close your settings.
Still, stuck with QuickBooks payroll error the file exists? In that case, you must proceed to the next solutions.
Solution 4: Turn Off UAC in Windows Settings
Windows User Account Control settings are required to restrict your actions to keep your operating system safe and secure from external threats. However, some particular QuickBooks features or processes might pose a threat to the security of the Windows operating system, which is why UAC prohibits them, which gradually results in a QB error. When you disable the UAC for a short while, it allows QuickBooks to function properly, therefore, fall in the occurrence of errors.
- First, simultaneously press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard and open the Run Window.
- Then, in the text box that appears on the screen, you have to type the command Control Panel and click on OK.
- Now, you need to select the User Accounts option followed by User Accounts (Classic View).
- After that, hit click on the Change UAC settings option.
- Then follow the below-given steps when the slider Window opens up (You will see a pop-up by UAC on your screen; you need to click on Yes to proceed.)
- Next, set it to the Never Notify option and turn the UAC OFF by hitting OK.
- Further, you also need to set it to Always Notify and click on OK and turn UAC ON. Again, you have to click on YES again when the UAC prompt appears on your screen again.
- At last, Restart your computer.
IMPORTANT: Well, it’s crucial that you turn UAC off to resolve the issues related to the QuickBooks Desktop. But you need to make sure that you do not forget to turn it on to prevent any unwanted security risks to your system.
Solution 5: To Re-register QuickBooks .DLL and .OCX File, Use Reboot.bat file
QuickBooks Reboot.bat is a utility that automatically re-registers all your QuickBooks installation files. And thus, helps you resolve the QuickBooks error the file exists.
- Close the QuickBooks Desktop application in the first place.
- Now, you have to Right-click the QB icon and Click on Properties.
- Go to Open File Location and search for the reboot.bat file in the folder.
- Moving further Right-click the Reboot.bat file and click on Run as Administrator.
- Make sure you Wait until the black color command prompt window scrolls all the QuickBooks files and gets exit automatically.
- Lastly, restart Windows and check if the QuickBooks error the file exists persists or not.
Solution 6: Delete QBPRINT.qbp file
When you print a form using QuickBooks Desktop, you might face QuickBooks error the file exists. In such a situation, you must follow the below-given steps:
- Open the Run dialog box by simultaneously hitting the Windows + R keys.
- Then, type Control Panel and click OK.
- Select Devices and Printers, right-click and select Remove on any printer that is no longer in use or is showing an error sign.
- Exit QuickBooks Desktop and open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del keys all together.
- Go to the Processes tab, there right-click QBW32.exe and click on End Process. Click on Yes for confirmation.
- If using QuickBooks Premier then, go to C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks. Whereas, for QuickBooks Enterprise, navigate to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\(QuickBooks_version)\TSPrinterSettings\.
- At last, search and delete the QBPRINT.qbp file from the folder and open QuickBooks once again to give a print.
Call Experts To Troubleshoot File Exists Error!
We hope the resolution methods mentioned in this blog would have helped you resolve the QuickBooks error the file exists. However, if you’re stuck and need further assistance, we would suggest you get in touch with our experts by giving us a call at QuickBooks Data Service Solutions Helpline Number +1-(855)-955-1942. Our team is well-equipped in handling any issue related to the Payroll update.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use the Task Manager and resolve the QuickBooks Error The File Exists error. Just open the Task Manager with the Ctrl + Shift + ESC keys. Then from the Processes tab, search for the process you want to end and then click on End Task button.
You can back up your QB company files before fixing the QuickBooks Error The File Exists by following the given steps. Go to the File menu and then hit the Back up option. After that, from the Create Local Backup option, choose the Local Backup option and click Next. Then browse to the desired location and save the backup file.