QuickBooks offers a variety of softwares to suit all your accounting needs. These include QB Online, QB Desktop, QB Self Employed, QB Premier, Pro, and others. All of these offer you unique features that can be utilized for different purposes. However, sometimes users face issues and errors with these specific versions and get stuck over them. One such error is QuickBooks Error 1646. The users face this error 1646 while they try to install the QuickBooks premier version on their systems. Hence, you need to fix this error needs as early as possible.
This blog will guide you with stepwise solutions to fix this QuickBooks Error Code 1646.
QuickBooks Error 1646: Overview of the Error
QuickBooks error 1646 is a common error in QuickBooks error that users face when they attempt to install QuickBooks Desktop Premier on a system that already has QuickBooks Desktop Pro of the same year. It can also appear if they are installing QuickBooks software on a system that already has a premier version of the same year installed on it. The error message for error 1646 says:
Error 1646: installing quickbooks.msi uninstallation of the update package is not supported.
QuickBooks Error 1646: Factors to Identify the error
Apart from the annoying error message, there are some other factors also that can help you to identify the arrival of QB error 1646 while installing the software.
- You are not able to open the QB file on your system.
- The error message saying error 1646 pops up on the screen.
- The QuickBooks application on your system does not get any updated information.
- The system gets crashes whenever you try to open QBs.
- You may face sluggish performance of the system to the inputs of the mouse or keyboard.
QuickBooks Error 1646: Reasons that trigger it
As the error message depicts that the error is a reflection of installing .msi, but there are other reasons that can trigger this QuickBooks error 1646 in your system. These include:
- Your company file may get locked on the arrival of the error message.
- If you have not installed the Microsoft NET 1.1 SP1 installer appropriately, then it may also lead to this QuickBooks Error Code 1646.
- The damaged Microsoft C++ and MSXML components can be another reason for the error 1646 in QuickBooks.
- If you are using the older or outdated version of the Windows Operating system, then you may also face the error 1646.
- Maybe your Windows temporary folder is full, so you are facing this error code 1646 in QuickBooks.
- Your installation process might not be getting full permissions.
QuickBooks Error 1646: Methods to Resolve the Error
Well, the Clean Install Tool by the QuickBooks toll hub is an effective and easy approach to resolve the QuickBooks error code 1646. The other effective methods to solve this error code 1646 in QB are as follows:
Method 1: Check and Verify the product information in QuickBooks Desktop
- First, start the process by launching the QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Then, simultaneously hit the F2 key on the keyboard to get the Product information window on the screen.
- This Product Information window will contain all the necessary product-related information that you would need.
- So, you need to ensure that you note down all the important details, including the License Number and the Product key.
- Next, also make sure to note down your QB product year and version.
Method 2: Uninstall the QuickBooks desktop installed on the system.
Uninstalling the QB software would require you to follow the below-given steps:
- First, hit the Start menu and move further with the process by accessing the Control Panel. To access it easily, type Control in the Search box and double-click on the Control Panel option.
- After that, you need to choose the Programs and Features tab, followed by hitting on the Uninstall a program option.
- Then, you need to choose the version of the Qb Dekstop that is installed on your system.
- For the next step, you have to hit on the Uninstall or Change option.
- Simultaneously, you have to choose the Remove option, followed by finally hitting on the Next button.
Method 3: Manually rename the QuickBooks installation folders.
In this step, you need to change the name of the QB Dekstop installation file and folder. This will help you to get the hidden files after making the change. To make this change follow the given steps:
- Click right on the folder and then add the word .old at the last of the folder name.
- This will make sure that the QB does not access the folder that is renamed before. Thus it will make a new folder.
This is the most effective way of resolving the QuickBooks error 1646. However, if you still find it difficult to eradicate this even after this, try the next method or connect with our Experts by calling us at +1-(855)-955-1942.
Method 4: Reinstall the QuickBooks desktop software.
Sometimes, the above-mentioned steps do not help you to fix the error code 1646; then, in this case, you can also try to reinstall the QuickBooks software. Reinstalling the QB application can significantly improve its ability to address a variety of bugs and other technical issues. Thus to reinstall the software, adhere to the directions listed below.
- Double-click on the Control Panel option after searching for the word Control in the Start menu.
- Then, select the Programs and Features option from the control panel window.
- Next, from the list of installed programs, choose the QuickBooks option.
- After that, select Uninstall or Change and then click Uninstall.
- Await till the process concludes.
- Then, restart the computer after the process is finished.
- After that, you need to reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop application. For this, make sure that you have the product and license keys in hand, as they are required during the installation process.
- Now, proceed with the installation process and follow the instructions that come on the screen.
- Once the installation process is completed, launch the QuickBooks application and check if the error got off from your system.
Method 5: Uninstall the QuickBooks application and manually rename the installation folders (Optional)
This is an optional step to rectify the QuickBooks error 1646. However, you can perform this if you want.
- The first step is to uninstall the QuickBooks application from your system.
- Then follow the given steps to display the hidden files, if any:
- Open the Start menu of Windows and search for File Explorer and open it. Alternatively, you can also open it by hitting the Win + E keys together.
- Then, you need to look for and open the folder that contains your QuickBooks company files.
- In normal cases, you may find the QuickBooks folder in any of the below-mentioned paths:
- C:\Users\(Current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- 64-bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- Now, you need to hit right-click on the Folder and choose the Rename option.
- In the next step, add the word “old” at the end of the folder name. This will prevent the QB application from opening this folder when you reinstall, and thus, it will create a new folder.
- Finally, reinstall the QB desktop.
In any case, if you find it difficult to rename the folder or face an error message, then follow the given steps.
- To start the process, right-click on the Windows taskbar and select the Task Manager option from the context menu.
- Then, go to the Processes tab after the task manager has opened.
- After that, choose to order the list using the Name Column Header.
- The next step is to select and terminate each of the following processes one by one: QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr, QBCFMonitorService.exe, and Qbw32.exe.
- Then, if, in the end, an error notice appears on the screen that reads, “WARNING: Terminating a process can cause unwanted outcomes.,” select Yes.
To Sum up Everything:
Remember that while fixing the Quickbooks error 1646, when you install the QuickBooks application again, you will have two options. One is the option to install it as Express Install or a Custom, and the other is Network installation. So, make sure that you choose the best installation method for you to avoid any further errors. Additionally, if you still get confused or stuck with the QB error code 1646, then you can anytime connect with our QuickBooks Support Experts by calling us at our Toll-free number +1-(855)-955-1942.
Frequently Asked Questions
QuickBooks MSI file is located in the QB folder that you may run if your setup.exe file doesn’t start the installation process.
To activate the QB Desktop, you can follow the steps given below:
1. Open the QuickBooks application on the system.
2. Then go to the Help menu and there select the option called Activate QuickBooks Desktop.
3. Lastly, perform the steps that appear on your screen to verify the information that you’ve given and activate the application.